April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 1,113 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

425 grain cross bow bolt so I don't make the neighbors mad.

1 member likes this: liverwort
Sidelock
Sidelock

300 WSM 180 gr monolithic @3200fps. I hope it anchors them…
Surely I jest, but last time I checked, that would be completely legal in Virginia yet the old Damascus 8 gauge is not. Very much a pity. That leaves me a traditional 12 gauge number fives.

2 members like this: liverwort, GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

For many, many years I carried a 12 ga. sxs of some persuasion for turkeys. None were very heavy, 7-7 1/2 lbs. roughly speaking. With the advent of pure tungsten shot, specifically Federal's TSS Heavyweight, I changed to a 20 ga. single shot Henry that weighs a little over 6 1/2 lbs. Such a pleasure to carry with a Galazan clip-on/slip-on sling, it has proved deadly as well. 26" barrel rides low on the shoulder and never snags on overhangs. Other than a desire to use a vintage gun, why anyone would lug a 9+ lb. gun through the turkey woods nowadays is hard for me to understand.

I have friend who is 75 and maybe 5 ft 4 in. tall and might weigh 150 lbs., who still totes an Ithaca Mag-10 that probably weighs over 10 lbs. He lugs that cannon around because he will still try one at 65+ yds., even though he's probably killed well over 100 turkeys in his life. Some people's blood lust never wanes...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
2 members like this: liverwort, GLS
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, in addition to the NID 10 I recently sold to a local friend in the sales forum, I had a Spanish 10 sxs 3.5" and the Ithaca Mag 10 auto like your friend. Loaded, it weighed 12.75 lbs. I killed my first grown gobbler with it. In the past 40 years, I have not only grown older, but shorter and wider, and have no desire to tote a big double in the woods. That's why I now carry the lethal pipsqueaks. Gil

3 members like this: 67galaxie, liverwort, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

not sure which model the FP was....?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by greener4me
not sure which model the FP was....?

It is a Facile Princeps. A 40 guinea gun in this case. 12 gauge, of course.

I keep thinking I need a single shot gun like GLS, but so far, other things have sent me on chases in other directions. I hunt some ridiculously steep and slippery terrain for turkeys and a light gun on a sling would make a heck of a lot of sense.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

For me 28 days Till I start my multi state hunt. Been killing old tom for 51 years this season. Lost my Turkey hunting partner (my dad) day after Christmas so the woods will not be the same going forward.

I'll carry my Remington 11-87, Winchester Long Beard 1 3/4 oz of 6s. Through Kicks, GT .665. Topped with a weaver kasper Turkey scope

Been looking at buying a Bennell ultra light in 28 gauge, top it with a reflex and run TSS for my new Turkey gun. I'll let you know if I pull the trigger on that set up.

Rich

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have only been hunting gobblers for three years( tried 30+ years ago without success) but have been able to get three so I tell myself I'm doing well. The first was gobbling his head off and I got him at 18 steps. the second I'll admit I began to worry when he started to veer away from my decoy and I killed him at a lazor ranged 40 yards. The third I shot at 31 yards and he was silent but strutting beautifully. I have been using my 11-87 with Remington 1&1/4 ounce lead 7&1/2s. I have a turkey choke I bought for the second season thinking I wouldn't get as lucky as the first year. I have an old, no longer-made Smith slate box call but I have made wing bone calls from my birds and killed last year's gobbler using one of those. The experience has been totally enjoyable. It is a great time of year to chase around after a great bird.

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by liverwort
I have only been hunting gobblers for three( tried 30+ years ago without success) years but have been able to get three so I tell myself I'm doing well. The first was gobbling his head off and I got him at 18 steps. the second I'll admit I began to worry when he started to veer away from my decoy and I killed him at a lazor ranged 40 yards. The third I shot at 31 yards and he was silent but strutting beautifully. I have been using my 11-87 with Remington 1&1/4 ounce 7&1/2s. I have a turkey choke I bought for the second season thinking I won't get as lucky as the first year. I have an old, no longer-made Smith slate box call but I have made wing bone calls from my birds and killed last year's gobbler using one of those. The experience has been totally enjoyable. It is a great time of year to chase around after a great bird.

It is really great to kill one you call in on your own call. I build lots of box calls, and killed most of my birds with them and given away many of those calls to others that have killed birds with them. I'd like to make a wing bone call, but so far, I haven't gotten there.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have collected some thin boards thinking I would try to make a box call, but it's a project I haven't gotten to.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.