April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 405 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,170
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent: There are the 2-inch 12-gauge guns and there are the "lightweights" built by various English makers. Both should fit the bill for what you're trying to do, and you're right, the chase is a big part of the fun. Lincoln Jeffries and another maker (can't recall the name, they had the scalloped-out stocks and the short forends) built them specifically, and in 2 1/2-inch 12. Both were well under 6lbs.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/11/23 05:17 PM.
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lloyd3,
I've seen one scallop-stocked gun. I have to say, it did not trip my trigger. Effective though it may be, it's not my cuppa tea. The Skimin and Wood's actioned guns are all pretty nice, regardless of who finished them. I think I'm leaning that way strongly.

This is a fun hunt already. It includes looking at my midden of firearms and deciding what can go in the interest of repurposing some dollars. At the top of that heap is a SW 629 mountain pistol has to go and this is time to do it. Looking down a bit further, I'm not sure what else needs rehoming, but I may find some others.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by halifax
Wow. A very good original post sullied by school yard bickering.

Yes, things were going well until a couple unruly guys decided it was their civic duty to personally attack Ed again. This crap wouldn't fly on the great Upland Journal forum. What this place really needs is more Moderation!

But I seriously wish I had the money I spent on gun show admissions and travel costs over the years. And you know what? After attending literally hundreds of gun shows, large and small, I have yet to see anyone actually using barrel wall thickness tools, or ringing barrels, or pouring oil on the ribs of a fine gun to check the integrity of the solder joints. I did see some pics here of some self-styled expert in a funny hat measuring barrels, but what good is it to preach about the deadly importance of measuring barrels, and then knowingly continuing to shoot a gun with thin pitted tubes? That's about as crazy as the Biden administration giving the 2023 Woman of Courage Award to a biological male. But it's true.

And for many years, I concentrated mainly upon side by side doubles, and all but ignored other stuff. Maybe I need to get out more, but I think Ed's comments about the reality of gun shows and gun show vendors is closer to truth and reality than some of the funny stuff I read here. The vast majority of sellers would not consent to me or any tire kicker with little white cotton gloves removing the barrels from an expensive double, and hanging them from a piece of cord, to rap on them with the scales of a Barlow knife or some other blunt instruments, just to hear them ring like expensive wind chimes. They sure as hell wouldn't let me pour oil or some other unknown fluid into the ribs. I could imagine their mocking laughter as they told me to take a hike.

Never once have I witnessed any vendor permitting anyone to rub the transducer of a several thousand dollar portable ultrasonic wall thickness gauge all over their barrels either. By the way, most Ultrasonic testers are not suitable for small radius tubes such as 12 gauge and smaller, and the transducer is rubbed over the surface with a contact fluid to get accurate readings. They aren't going to give accurate readings at all with Damascus either. All those welds and inconsistent layers of iron and steel will just raise havoc with the reflectIon of the sound waves. I believe that a skilled and reputable gunsmith like Dewey Vicknair owns and has the knowledge to properly use such a tool. But I'm quite dubious that even our more anal gun buyers here are likely to commit to that sort of investment, unless they have an insatiable need to appear impressive.

I certainly remember the rolled--up index card method of measuring chamber length. I myself like our late friend Miller's method of using a simple 6" machinists scale, so won't be wasting time on my lathe to turn brass or wooden gauges that may not give near as accurate a reading, since chamber reamers are not identical. But all that info has been repeated here as often as Mobil 1 for hinge pin lube.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Brent: There are the 2-inch 12-gauge guns and there are the "lightweights" built by various English makers. Both should fit the bill for what you're trying to do, and you're right, the chase is a big part of the fun. Lincoln Jeffries and another maker (can't recall the name), it had the scalloped-out stocks and the short forends) built them specifically, and in 2 1/2-inch 12. Both were well under 6lbs.

Lloyd:

Thomas Turner was known for building the lightweight guns with the scalloped butt and very short forend.

Turner built nice guns. I owned one, a box lock but not the lightweight version for a number of years.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rem: Thomas Turner is the one I couldn't pull up, thank you. Always wanted to try one of those out on grouse. Charles Daily also made some very nice lightweights guns.

Brent: I'm in the same boat, just can't let go ( yet!) of the guns I won't likely need going forward. Those Turners do look a little odd but I'd sure like to try one out. They even made lightweight hammer guns. A Skimmin & Woods gun is almost always very nice, no matter who's name is on them.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/11/23 05:19 PM.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Turner Lightweight appears to have a Westley Richards action and was made between 1875 and 1887 if memory serves on the proof marks. 6 lbs. 1 oz. Damascus 28" barrels, jug choked.

2 members like this: graybeardtmm3, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that is the shortest forearm I've seen on a English double. I to dislike the scalloped stocks.

Just about all English makers did or would make any gun how the customer wanted it. But rarely have I seen a Westley Richards under 6-6oz.

2 members like this: Lloyd3, Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

The late Alfred Gallifent told me one time that Turner made parts for Westley Richards and took actions in trade, which he then finished.

Last edited by Remington40x; 03/12/23 05:49 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.