May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Tim Wolf, Ian Forrester, buckstix), 1,206 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steel shot requirements for waterfowl hunting under the guise of being necessary to prevent the wholesale loss of ducks geese, etc. due to lead poisoning from ingestion, is one of the greatest hoaxes perpetrated on the hunting community, or the populace in general for that matter. But Roster's drivel along with a willing Federal bureaucracy and alarmist thinking got it rammed down our throats. It was never the threat it was accused of being. Sure, there were some places where extreme hunting pressure on public lands allowed lead to accumulate enough for a few waterfowl to pick up lead pellets in enough quantity to eventually kill a very small number, but not even a blip on the screen enough to matter. Lies and damned lies foisted by flawed data.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
2 members like this: Imperdix, LeFusil
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I learned about lead shot in 1968, from a warden at Sauvie Island, outside of Portland. He talked about picking up hundreds of 'greenies', ducks dead or dying with their butts stained green from the undigested vegetation dribbling out the back because lead shot in their gizzards prevented digestion. A vast amount of research since then showed that ingested lead kills birds; free-flying condors in California are trapped annually and put through a chelation process, broadly similar to dialysis, to remove lead from their blood. They pick it up from gut piles or ground squirrels shot with .22's.

I have no idea if birds saved from lead poisoning outnumber crippling losses due to steel, but there is absolutely no question that lead shot in ponds kills waterfowl. Not all science which inconveniences us is a hoax or evil conspiracy - seen any mercury thermometer recently? If you want to disprove the science, start swallowing lead #8's and see how you feel in a year or two.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LGF
I learned about lead shot in 1968, from a warden at Sauvie Island, outside of Portland. He talked about picking up hundreds of 'greenies', ducks dead or dying with their butts stained green from the undigested vegetation dribbling out the back because lead shot in their gizzards prevented digestion. A vast amount of research since then showed that ingested lead kills birds; free-flying condors in California are trapped annually and put through a chelation process, broadly similar to dialysis, to remove lead from their blood. They pick it up from gut piles or ground squirrels shot with .22's.

I have no idea if birds saved from lead poisoning outnumber crippling losses due to steel, but there is absolutely no question that lead shot in ponds kills waterfowl. Not all science which inconveniences us is a hoax or evil conspiracy - seen any mercury thermometer recently? If you want to disprove the science, start swallowing lead #8's and see how you feel in a year or two.

What a human could do to mimic the feeding habits of waterfowl re lead poisoning is a fool's errand, but you knew that. Condors are dead species flying that cannot be saved by govt. money. Wonder how many fly into wind turbines annually? Soft bottom marshes, sloughs, swamps, and almost all waterfowling areas allow lead to sink in deep enough to be non-threatening, hard bottom "ponds", not so much. Banning lead shot everywhere was gross overreach.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
5 members like this: old colonel, Stanton Hillis, eeb, keith, Robt. Harris
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
Banning lead shot everywhere was gross overreach.

That's in a nutshell. It was bad "science".

It's impossible to tell but I wish it could be known how many more thousands die each year from steel shot crippling than did from leaf pellet ingestion. After using steel for a number of years, and switching over totally to bismuth and other better non-tox, and seeing the difference in it first hand, it's my opinion that the number would be staggering. And, good as it is, bismuth still isn't nearly lethal as lead.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis

Do tell. From whence do you draw this grand decree? Any data? Any personal expertise? Any knowledge at all?

Or just more armchair bullshit, Stanley?

Put your facts on the line. Your experiments, samples, calculations. Lay it out.

You are blowing bullshit.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof

Do tell. From whence do you draw this grand decree? Any data? Any personal expertise? Any knowledge at all?

Or just more armchair bullshit....
Do tell prof. Have you published any research on the topic, or still parroting acedemia armchair bs?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd

Or just more armchair bullshit....
Do tell prof. Have you published any research on the topic, or still parroting acedemia armchair bs?

I've read the published research. Have you? I've listed many articles on this forum for you to read. Did you?

Thought not. Neither did Stanly

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

....I've read the published research. Have you? I've listed many articles on this forum for you to read. Did you?

We've been over this, congrats. Thought not, try thinking more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
....I've read the published research. Have you? I've listed many articles on this forum for you to read. Did you?

We've been over this, congrats. Thought not, try thinking more.

that's the best you've got I guess. No data, no nothing. Just ignorance and arrogance.

_________

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.