April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Nelsons Custom, Perry M. Kissam, Mike Harrell), 298 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,458
Posts544,974
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#626919 03/03/23 07:56 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If you're a fan of the 1885 Winchester, you might enjoy looking at these two. They show some of the finest gunsmithing, stock work and engraving that I have every seen. More embellishment than I would want on one but enjoy for the craftsmanship.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/973969501

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/973965647

Last edited by Bob Saathoff; 03/03/23 08:00 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Bob!
Those are amazing rifles. Definitely not my cup of tea, but quite the craftsmanship. I'm not a fan of the varmintized highwalls, but those are infinitely better in their execution than any that I have seen before.

Hope to see you at Lodi this spring. Your rifles never disappoint.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

To me, looking beyond the work, there is something odd about both. Are those original Winchester actions? Or are they some later near-copies? The lower tangs do not look quite right. If you were simply doing the paperwork, maker & SN?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The lower tangs were doubtlessly altered to fit the pistol grips on the stocks. All of my high walls received the same treatment.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those guys advertise some really nice guns but they are always proud of them.

While the 222M has really nice wood and a better cartridge (was one of the contenders when the shorter 223 beat it out with the army) I prefer the overall treatment of the Hornet. Just looks more appropo of the period.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll never understand bears on .222's, deer on .22's, birds on 30.06, etc...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by waterman
To me, looking beyond the work, there is something odd about both. Are those original Winchester actions? Or are they some later near-copies? The lower tangs do not look quite right. If you were simply doing the paperwork, maker & SN?
I think there has been extensive work done to the tangs by shortening and welding holes up. With no evidence of a bolt through the top tang, I'm almost sure that they have through the stock bolt modifications to improve accuracy. The cartridge is probably the Aussie .222 rimmed that was popular in single shots back in the 60's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bob Saathoff
Originally Posted by waterman
I think there has been extensive work done to the tangs by shortening and welding holes up. With no evidence of a bolt through the top tang, I'm almost sure that they have through the stock bolt modifications to improve accuracy. The cartridge is probably the Aussie .222 rimmed that was popular in single shots back in the 60's.

I think you are absolutely right about the through bolt. They did not need to cut the tangs for a pistol grip. I've bent them, as have many others. In fact, I bent a tang that you traded to me, now that think about it. I like the looks of the longer tangs, but these are definitely artsy guns and well done.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice rifles.
They attribute the engraving to (Kurt?) Jaeger, Germany.
He had many engravers working for his shop including Emil & Claus Willig.

I don't see any mark on the first one with a quick look over.
The second one,,the .222. has the engraving signed (I believe it's the engravers mark) in the criss-crossed ribbons on the forward portion of the lever ahead of the figure.

I can't get the pic clear enough to read the lettering though.
Most all of the engraving from Kurt Jaeger's shop was marked as just that,,Engrv by Kurt Jaeger.
A few were allowed to be signed by the actual engravers like the Willigs'

Claus later came to the USA and did work for Paul Jaeger's shop in PA as well.

The Oak Leaf on the first rifle looks just the way he used to shade his on earlier work. But many engravers learned from the same 'school' and eachother. So some techniques and similaritys
are obvious.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Sidelock
Sidelock

First rate Teutonic engraving.

I tend toward substantial calibers. My largest is an original 1885
chambered in 45-60 WCF. Made in 1887. Have actually slain
coyotes with it and 400 gr fp bullets. A joy to shoot with
medium velocity handloaded ammunition. Original mid-range
Winchester Vernier sight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.