May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, Roundsworth, Argo44, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 670 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,626
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 39 of 55 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 54 55
Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey - you aren't going to crack the speed of sound in a gun barrel. The powder gas is hot enough that you won't go that fast. Also, no amount of pressure will cause the gas to exceed Mach one (speed of sound for existing conditions and not a fixed velocity) in a straight wall bore. A convergent nozzle section can achieve Mach one, but you must add a divergent section to exceed Mach one. Excess pressure will only increase the density of the gas, but not the velocity, as you approach the speed of sound. Post back if any of that begs questions - I ought to be able to explain it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, pV = nRT has a larger effect than the velocity itself, which is at or greater than the speed of sound in a vacuum?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

The pressure/volume/temperature relationship doesn't have a lot to do with sonic velocity. There is no sonic velocity in a vacuum as there is no sonic part - you have to have a fluid present to have an sonic pressure waves. No waves, not wave velocity.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a fascinating thread, and I don't know where it will lead.Richard Akehurst in his book 'Game Guns & Rifles' by the Sportsmans Press has a lot to say about the manufacture of Damascus, he mentions Greener's and the Birmingham Proof Houses Tests and concerns about 'inferior' Belgian wares.Ken Davies's H&H book 'The Better Shot' shows some gorgeous examples.Remember Iron Forging was perfected by my family (Big Head)here in the Severn Gorge ( Ironbridge)so I think our Museums may have some interesting data available. But where do we start? It must be remembered that Greener was a master of self publicity, did he do so much? or did he ride on the backs of many journeymen craftsmen who were only concerned with earning a crust?There is no doubt in my mind we owe a lot to Greeners for imparting the knowledge, but was there far more works of art lost in time?Or sitting in the archives of the Museums of Birmingham, Wednesbury, Shrewsbury?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Or sitting in the archives of the Museums of Birmingham, Wednesbury, Shrewsbury?"

Exactly Peter. W. Greener claimed to have invented Laminated Steel, but I've found no patent, nor did he name his invention. With his penchant for self-promotion (ie. Greener cross-bolt & Greener side safety) one would think 'Greener Laminated Steel' would be found stamped on his guns.
Might have to make the trip, but do they speak American in Wednesbury?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just found W.W. Greener's The Gun, 9th edition as an On-line book, but not all the pages are available
http://books.google.com/books?id=2-m8epN2hLIC&dq=greener+crossbolt

Gloria a Dios-we have an answer on p. 230 (following a description of mixing the iron and steel together to form the bloom)
"In the best silver-steel Damascus, used by the author, the exact proportions of iron and steel used are such as have been found by experiment to give the greatest strength; the figure is fine and uniform."
This HAS to be what he refers to as Laminated Steel!

Last edited by revdocdrew; 10/23/07 05:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

ellenbr....ask Highsmith his thoughts on Greener.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see. I was referring to the nominal speed of sound and was thinking of the wave of a laser beam in a vacuum with an index of refraction of 1. My error. What is the max velocity that the expanding gas accelerates the shot charge down the tubes? Well, at the barrel/outside interface does the shot charge have the greatest velocity? I am interested as to how the speed of the whole lot of wad(possibly a little powder) & shot makes the transition from below the speed of sound to a velocity greater than the speed of sound. Doesn't the group velocity of the shotstring travel near or above 345 meters per second, or am I mistaken? Thanks for taking the time to educate me.

JOe: I quizzed Mr. Highsmith about the Brits Damascus & the impact of the Moor's influence on barrel types. His response was that I need to forgot researching such an unpopular & worthless topic and research something worth while like the Limey's Whitworth steel. And much like Jackie Gleason's response to a "germane to the situation", Mr. Highsmith said that the Moors were G**D*** Rednecks and don't bring them up again.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 10/23/07 06:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"This is a fascinating thread, and I don't know where it will lead.Richard Akehurst in his book 'Game Guns & Rifles' by the Sportsmans Press has a lot to say about the manufacture of Damascus, he mentions Greener's and the Birmingham Proof Houses Tests and concerns about 'inferior' Belgian wares.Ken Davies's H&H book 'The Better Shot' shows some gorgeous examples.Remember Iron Forging was perfected by my family (Big Head)here in the Severn Gorge ( Ironbridge)so I think our Museums may have some interesting data available. But where do we start? It must be remembered that Greener was a master of self publicity, did he do so much? or did he ride on the backs of many journeymen craftsmen who were only concerned with earning a crust?There is no doubt in my mind we owe a lot to Greeners for imparting the knowledge, but was there far more works of art lost in time?Or sitting in the archives of the Museums of Birmingham, Wednesbury, Shrewsbury? "

Thanks for a different perspective and insight. Greener probably would have made an excellent politician. Can you provide any references or descriptions with a timeline of the different Damascus types of the names you mention?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 10/23/07 06:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: revdocdrew
Just found W.W. Greener's The Gun, 9th edition as an On-line book, but not all the pages are available
http://books.google.com/books?id=2-m8epN2hLIC&dq=greener+crossbolt

Gloria a Dios-we have an answer on p. 230 (following a description of mixing the iron and steel together to form the bloom)
"In the best silver-steel Damascus, used by the author, the exact proportions of iron and steel used are such as have been found by experiment to give the greatest strength; the figure is fine and uniform."
This HAS to be what he refers to as Laminated Steel!

Ideal. Then that would equate Silver Steel Damascus to Laminated Steel and the old laminated steel would have been similar to 2 rib-band twist after experiencing the 3 ton forge hammer?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 39 of 55 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.