May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jusanothajoe, craigd, Jimmy W, David Williamson, 3 invisible), 1,101 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,549
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, you sure your farm does not need a bag of brass spacers? Let Joe pay for this. Tell him Corn Pop said so.

If I had to fire from a lot of brass I would like to have a gun built as stout as possible. Perhaps one of the .303 rifles converted to .410. Ease of loading and strong extractor, plus it was designed for a real rifle cartridge. Or even one of the Marlin bolt action .410. Don’t know if you might have extraction issues but would not like to damage my regular .410.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My brass hulls from RMC measure .025" wall thickness. Unfired Cheddies, .035. Below are some of my fired hulls ready for tumbling in walnut hull media. There is a slight difference in diameter full length. Towards the head, the last .4" is about .0005' larger in OD because of the gun's chamber's form--a Yildiz TK36 single shot .410. I shoot a mix of plastic and brass hulls depending on whatever I grab out of my pocket. Patterning shows an increase of holes inside the 10" ring at 40 yards with the brass compared to plastic, all other things equal. Maybe just anecdotal but my barrel man has noticed in the drinking and betting turkey shoots into paper, he has noticed that a chamber length matching the open hull length of the standard shell used at shoots performs better than those overly long or shorter than the beginning of the forcing cone. He believes an exact match gives a smoother, non-disruptive transition from chamber to forcing cones. I've been using this brass for 8 wild turkey seasons. The RMC reloading kit is to the right of the shells. Top to bottom, deprimer, primer, primer seating block, deprimer block and a collar that fits over the hull for ease of powder and shot pour. I seal the shot behind an OSC Duco cemented into the hull. Gil

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

What about this?

Originally Posted by 6878mm
303 British cases make very cood .410 cases, minimal work, except the primer

Sidelock
Sidelock

liverwort,
303 would work ok for 2 1/2" shells, but they are looking for 3".
Mike

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
My brass hulls from RMC measure .025" wall thickness. Unfired Cheddies, .035. Below are some of my fired hulls ready for tumbling in walnut hull media. There is a slight difference in diameter full length. Towards the head, the last .4" is about .0005' larger in OD because of the gun's chamber's form--a Yildiz TK36 single shot .410. I shoot a mix of plastic and brass hulls depending on whatever I grab out of my pocket. Patterning shows an increase of holes inside the 10" ring at 40 yards with the brass compared to plastic, all other things equal. Maybe just anecdotal but my barrel man has noticed in the drinking and betting turkey shoots into paper, he has noticed that a chamber length matching the open hull length of the standard shell used at shoots performs better than those overly long or shorter than the beginning of the forcing cone. He believes an exact match gives a smoother, non-disruptive transition from chamber to forcing cones. I've been using this brass for 8 wild turkey seasons. The RMC reloading kit is to the right of the shells. Top to bottom, deprimer, primer, primer seating block, deprimer block and a collar that fits over the hull for ease of powder and shot pour. I seal the shot behind an OSC Duco cemented into the hull. Gil

I just measured a 10 gauge to see how it compares. It is 0.033" thick, and the 2 7/8" case weights 848 gr. When I bought them, RMC told me they made them to paper hull specs so that paper hull reloading components could be used. They are strong enough not to deform if I step on one on hard ground.

Your reloading tools are considerably more refined than my self-made tools, but reloading was pretty simple with blackpowder. I killed Canadas, turkeys, and pheasants with that gun, though it was darn heavy at ~10 lbs.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.survivalistboards.com/threads/loading-410-metallics.962928/

This is the best write up I have read on this subject. It took me a couple days to recall where I had seen it. I book marked it for future possible use. Deals with fire forming and some basic loads. Also mentions how to get around the wad not sealing well to prevent powder gas blow by. As always read, think about things and proceed with reasonable caution. Remember what Abe Lincoln said, "if it is on the internet you know you can trust it".

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Jon. Some good info there, tho' he does not mention having to thin case rims, with the rifle brass.

Originally Posted by KY Jon
If I had to fire from a lot of brass I would like to have a gun built as stout as possible.

Yep. Sounds like a job for a Baikal. You can't hurt those things.

Originally Posted by GLS
Maybe just anecdotal but my barrel man has noticed in the drinking and betting turkey shoots into paper, he has noticed that a chamber length matching the open hull length of the standard shell used at shoots performs better than those overly long or shorter than the beginning of the forcing cone. He believes an exact match gives a smoother, non-disruptive transition from chamber to forcing cones.

That is very interesting. I have wondered about that for much of my shotgunning life, but never heard an informed opinion on it. Those card shooters have forgotten more about making even, tight patterns than most of us will ever know.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Parabola
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

One should fire form the brass to the gun it will eventually shoot. Otherwise, one may end up with brass that won't chamber in the intended gun. I did a lot of fire forming 5.56 brass to shoot 7 mm rounds out of a Thompson Contender in IHMSA competition. I'd be surprised if chamber pressures were higher fire forming than when pushing a 7 mm 162 gr boattailed Sierra downrange. Stan, you are welcome to use my Baikal single shot if you want to go that route. Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can see why you would need to firearm in the intended gun, same as having to resize plastic shell heads that may have been fired in a gun with a bigger chamber. I was overlooking the obvious.

IR, I can't imagine 7 grs. of Herco behind a case of Cream Of Wheat producing damaging pressures.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
Hey Stan,
In case you were curious, I measured some new Nosler brass, rim diameter .524", rim thickness .054", head diameter .464", length 2.93".

I had a similar thought as what you're thinking, but other little projects, happen. If you aren't in a rush, monitor the Nosler website, it seems they just had a sale that puts the cost of their brass, at about what you're considering with the Privi brand. I never loaded any, but I recall figuring out that a 41 mag seating die would put enough of a crimp to hold an overshot card. I was going to try filling the bullet seating cup with epoxy, so it would be more or less flat.

I may have read it wrong, but you mentioned opening up the primer pockets? Why not just use large rifle primers? Anyway, best of luck with the project.

Stan

Can you tell us the source that says you have to trim the case rim thickness? All the sources I have found show that the 9.3 round is a tiny bit smaller in both diameter and thickness than the 410 and the base is nearly the same diameter. Also, the comments I made about primer posckets had to do with converting MagTech particularly to LR from SR. Using 9.3 cases manufactured with LR primers should require nothing. Simply get a case and see if it fits and pop a primer. I would do it for you but I sold all my cases with my last 9.3 Ruger. I did at one time load some 45/120 cases with shot for a Ruger No.3 I rechambered to that caliber. The idea was survival loads with a large bore. They shot surprisingly well with an open pattern of course, and I shot a couple of doves as a proof of concept. Worked like a charm with standard 410 loads.

I would post a request in the Double or single shot rifle area and ask if someone can send you a case. A lot of people here own 9.3's I suspect. Better yet simply ask someone to insert a 9.3 case in a 410 and see if it fits and cycles.

In all these posts, I haven' seen any comment that anyone has tried this. I think the solution is too simple to worry about. Put Unique, Herco or some such load in a case, fill it with cream of wheat, plug it with a bar if soap and fire form it.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.