Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I was driving through Olathe, Kansas on my way home to Canada two weeks ago and made the mistake of stopping in the Olathe Gun shop, where I fairly fell in love with a very nice British 20ga on the rack. Unfortunately for me I'm not a US citizen, and the cost of importing the gun into Canada puts it out of my price range. So I've been perusing the better gun shops of Canada and came across a very promising Thomas Wild. Its a 20 gauge, 28" barrels, 2 3/4 chambers choked Cyl/Cyl. Very good bores. Extractor gun. It is listed at 5.43 lbs with an asking price of $2400 Canadian (about $2k USD after shipping and tax).

I would be looking at this as a dedicated grouse and woodcock gun, as an upgrade from my Browning BSS Sporter which is 28" with Skt/Skt chokes. I hunt thick brush over a pointer, so my shots are predominantly snap shots. Hunting in more open cover (Huns and pheasant in ND, etc) I usually shoot my Sweet Sixteen, or sometimes I borrow my wife's gorgeous 1950 20ga Superposed. I'm curious how a gun like this would handle in comparison to what I'm used to. The Cogswell and Harrison in Kansas felt like a pointing a pool cue, in a good way.

I'm admittedly out of my wheelhouse when it comes to these British guns. I know my Brownings well - that's all I've really hunted with for the last ten years. I was starting to know what I was looking at with Spanish guns, thinking I'd find an AyA or the likes here in Canada. But I could really use some advice on this one.

The two issues I'm seeing are the slight crack at the boxlock end of the stock, which looks minor. Also the lever looks a bit more centered than I'd like to see, but I'll leave that more to the experts here. I'm going to request some additional photos of the watertable and barrel faces, and will post those as well.

Hopefully I'm not shooting myself in the foot here if someone else were to grab it on me, but I trust y'all.

Thank you!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Pat Gidley; 01/31/23 03:51 PM.
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun. The crack APPEARS to be superficial. If it were mine, I would take the stock off to be sure, and probably brace it with an embedded piece of #4 allthread/epoxy. Gil

[IMG]
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Oh how I wish Nick Mackinson were still alive! He would definitely have talked me into or out of this thing. Good call with the Epoxy, I will do that if it makes its way up here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pat, there is a 30 day money back guarantee on that gun. Return for any reason. Buy it, bring it to a competent sxs smith and have it assessed. If it's crap you will be out the cost of freight and the inspection. You will also find out how much it will be to make it right. If yoy don't know who to take it to, I may be able to help.

From the seller's website:
For that reason, if you receive an item, and if for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, we offer you a 30 days to return for a refund. (All shipping fees are covered by the custumer).

You should also know that, after taking into account FX, the vintage SxS market in Canada is somewhat depressed when compared to the US. In equivalent dollars, we are typically 25 to 35% less. Smaller less vibrant market and the headaches of moving guns across the border means there is no arbitrage that balances pricing out.

It's great to buy in Canada if you can find what you want.....its sucks to sell. Checking out GI and GB for price comparisons doesn't work well.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/31/23 04:20 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hey Canvasback, good to meet another Ontarian on here. What neck of the woods are you located? I'm up on the North Shore of Superior, in Thunder Bay.

I'm seriously considering doing as you say, its a minor risk with their nice guarantee. I would love a recommendation of who to take it to - with Nick gone, and our local guy retired (he was a rifle guy anyhow, this would have been out of his wheelhouse), I'm lacking in the gunsmith dept.

Last edited by Pat Gidley; 01/31/23 04:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

first, the top lever, Britt guns are not made as most American, with the top lever right of center working back towards ctr. They are made to line up centered.
Shooting, yes this gun will most likely be very quick, excellent for snap shots.
Stock, besides the crack, I would check for oil soaked wood. Most dealers store guns stock down and if the action had an abundance of oil it has now migrated into the wood. I learned the hard way.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Pat Gidley
Hey Canvasback, good to meet another Ontarian on here. What neck of the woods are you located? I'm up on the North Shore of Superior, in Thunder Bay.

I'm seriously considering doing as you say, its a minor risk with their nice guarantee. I would love a recommendation of who to take it to - with Nick gone, and our local guy retired (he was a rifle guy anyhow, this would have been out of his wheelhouse), I'm lacking in the gunsmith dept.

Pat, I'm down along the shore of Lake Ontario east of Toronto, town called Port Hope. Pretty much 900 miles from you by highway. Although I'm pretty familiar with TB. Originally from Winnipeg, and a lot of time spent in NW Ont. Sold one of my project Foxes to a fellow up there who, with some gunsmith friends of mine, turned it into part of a match pair of Fox 16 and 20 gauge.

If you have used Nick in the past, you are used to sending the gun out. Because there is no one up there. I'm sending you a private message.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Appears to be a hidden cross bolt gun, I can’t see where the bolt dutifully pokes out the left side of the detonation? Unusual style for an English gun.

It looks like a Grouse gun to me. Canvasback will turn you on to a good Canadian gunsmith, he has them all on retainer. Likely due for a strip and clean, at the least, and a repair to that crack on the head.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Buzz
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Appears to be a hidden cross bolt gun, I can’t see where the bolt dutifully pokes out the left side of the detonation? Unusual style for an English gun.

It looks like a Grouse gun to me. Canvasback will turn you on to a good Canadian gunsmith, he has them all on retainer. Likely due for a strip and clean, at the least, and a repair to that crack on the head.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Bwahahahaha!

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Will the stock dimensions suit you? Other than that, it is a great gun. The crack would certainly not scare me off. Barrel walls are something to wonder about,given that the gun is choke C/C and the chambers are 2.75". If you can reconcile that with the proofs or a direct measurement, what's not to love? I'd buy it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.