March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (DaveB, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce, Ian Forrester, SKB), 791 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack Haugh was truly one of the best gun builders we had. He passed in early 2018, I believe. Frank and Cole are his sons. Bryndon Steele (BSteele) will probably be along soon to comment as he was quite close to Jack and spent a lot of time in Jack’s shop in Milan, Indiana. We’ve lost two of the best the last few years in Jack and Jerry Fisher and they’re definitely missed. Two of the finest men I’ve known.

Shane Robinson
Joplin, MO
1 member likes this: mc
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The action has been identified ,the guy arguing with the results admits he knows nothing and sharing second hand information it is a wonderful gun built by a great craftsman .i have owned a bunch of rolling blocks I only have one 1902 left it has the rotary ejector my 1897 had the sliding extractor .i have a hiwall that was converted from leaf main spring to coil spring it has the cut in the action for the leaf spring it is not a original coil spring action .i hope you get my point.mark

2 members like this: LRF, Vall
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks so much for this info it really helps. I have added a picture of the Gove-Remington underlever to the photos

much respect

Bill

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I know that rifle well. It hung on the wall in the shop for a long time. It’s a Gove copy. Gove made the lever to assist in chambering a cartridge in a dirty chamber. It’s a hell of a lot of work to make that conversion. The set triggers and sights were made from scratch. The rear sight being a copy of a Fruend. I don’t recall who made the tang sight, but I’m sure it was the best available at the time or he would have made that too. The barrel is most likely a Douglas, as Jack was also great friends with Fred Depoy at Douglas and got the best of the best blanks.

He built it to shoot BPCR, but it was a couple ounces over spec. He was trying to decide if he should rebarrel, rebore to a 45 cal, or shorten the barrel to make weight when a friend offered to buy it. Great find!

Last edited by bsteele; 01/29/23 10:57 AM.
4 members like this: Discus420, Flygas, mc, Vall
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bsteele
I know that rifle well. It hung on the wall in the shop for a long time. It’s a Gove copy. Gove made the lever to assist in chambering a cartridge in a dirty chamber. It’s a hell of a lot of work to make that conversion. The set triggers and sights were made from scratch. The rear sight being a copy of a Fruend. I don’t recall who made the tang sight, but I’m sure it was the best available at the time or he would have made that too. The barrel is most likely a Douglas, as Jack was also great friends with Fred Depoy at Douglas and got the best of the best blanks.

He built it to shoot BPCR, but it was a couple ounces over spec. He was trying to decide if he should rebarrel, rebore to a 45 cal, or shorten the barrel to make weight when a friend offered to buy it. Great find!
[quote=Discus420][quote=BrentD, Prof]
Mr Steele I have been in touch with Jacks son Cole and he is looking through Jack's files for more info . I guess Jack took a lot of notes. It would be extremely helpful if you could put a date on when the rifle was made , when it hung on the wall???? When it sold??? Any and all information would help a great deal. I dont expect dates but general time frame would narrow things down a bit.

Thanks
Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bsteele

Steele;

Thank you very much for stating that the double set triggers were made from "scratch"by Jack. He was the acknowledged master of building double set triggers in the USA.

Stephen Howell

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is listed on Gunbroker and I will give anyone from this forum a 1000$ off the buying price

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W2V1coxjutX5zw6N6

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
An authoritative source says it is an early #1.

But really doesn't matter. It's a very sweet rifle. And again, I hope you have what it takes to load for it. Anything come with the rifle?

I Added a bunch more photos that the gunshop used for the GB ad it will show what type of Remington it is if can get some of the experts to take a look please

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W2V1coxjutX5zw6N6

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

THIS IS NOW UP FOR SALE AND WILL LIKELY SELL FOR A LOW LOW PRICE it has no reserve and is at 2500$ Today [img]https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/[/img]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.