March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, Argo44, FlyChamps, Marc Ret, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Halifax this one? Well I have had the gun for some fifty plus years now, so it will be a death do us part thing and a problem for my sons.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
2 members like this: Parabola, campero
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus,

That is a beautiful looking gun (and a new or refurbished case too). I hope you take it out and shoot it on occasion. The checkering looks sharp. Did you do some stock work on The old Purdey?

Personally, I love hammer guns and I have owned several English specimens over the years. In fact I just took my old H & H, circa 1876, out to my club to pattern it. I am taking it partridge shooting this coming season - a first. I was surprised at how good and consistent the patterns were with a gun with virtually no choke constrictions.

I must have watched that film three times over the years. Wonderful film with an excellent screen play and casting. As I recall, that was James Mason's last film.

I'll PM you, if you don't mind.

Michael

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by damascus
The Webley & Scott 700 legacy

Webley & Scott started to manufacture the model 700 around 1947 at a time when Britain was starting to recover after the Second World War with the initial guns being made as 12 and 16 bore Boxlocks. Because of dealer pressure especially from the US 20 and 28 bores where introduced in the 1960�s though all the guns made before the introduction of the 701 & 702s, where made as grade 3 the 701 & 702 models where introduced in the early 1950�s having higher quality wood and a little more elaborate engraving. Damascus

Great thread, very informative. Thanks for sharing Damascus.

I came across a Webley & Scott catalogue dated to 1953 which shows and describes the three grades of the model 700. See attached.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Model 701
Model 702
Model 700
A few pictures of the Webley & Scott 700 Series, Grade II (702), 12 bore, 2 3/4 inch, 28 inch barrels, 6 lbs. 4 ounces.
________
TC

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a 'Charles Dawson' 12 bore BLE, proofed in 1962. I've learned that Charles was better known as Ken Dawson, and he worked as a stocker and finisher at 10/11 St Mary's Row in Birmingham.

I think the gun was built on a Webley action, and engraved by Walter Howe.

If anyone can confirm this or has observations or comments, I'd be grateful.

https://i.imgur.com/IonhlLT.jpeg[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by mbatten; 01/21/23 02:56 PM.
4 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Parabola, campero, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fantastic thread about this historic gun house! I'm a happy owner of a 20 ga W&C Scott&Son, circa 1898. A shotgun made expressly for Luis Vives & Cía, Eduardo Schilling father-in-law. With 26' ejection barrels is a wonderfull gun for walking hunting with my dogs. One of my prefer guns!

I don't know the model. Has the original stock and another longer made for me.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

More pictures

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is good to bring this subject to life again. The Model 700 seems to get much respect. From reading the previous pages I think the Model 700 in 3" 20 gauge configuration must be relatively rare.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 01/20/23 11:56 AM.
3 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

* Webley & Scott 702 photos moved to the catalogue posting above.

Last edited by Tim Cartmell; 10/09/23 05:29 PM. Reason: moved photos
2 members like this: Parabola, Imperdix
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have a Webley and Scott, 410 gauge side by side ejector model. It's a lovely little gun with 28 inch barrels, choked ful and full, 75mm chambers. It also comes in a tiny motor case, I think that it was made in the 1920's, but not 100% sure. There is also a strange serial number on the action and barrels which I can't figure out.!

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.