April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (jake van dyke, Karl Graebner, FallCreekFan, Ian Forrester, Hammergun, 2 invisible), 232 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,461
Posts545,007
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hank01 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm planning to build a replica William Bailes ca. 1760 double. It requires swamped barrels. Commercially available swamped barrels don't fit the description. Barrel makers contacted (Colerain, Rice, etc, etc) have either declined or not responded to a request for custom barrel work. So, I'm bringing this to the community.

I have raw round blanks in 19 and 11 bore. All that's needed is to machine the blanks into barrels. Anyone here have or know of someone that does have the machine capability to do this? Drawings can be provided for review on request. Thanks!

Hank

Yes, I did write a book. It's called "The Classic English Double Barrel"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Hank01
I'm planning to build a replica William Bailes ca. 1760 double. It requires swamped barrels. Commercially available swamped barrels don't fit the description. Barrel makers contacted (Colerain, Rice, etc, etc) have either declined or not responded to a request for custom barrel work. So, I'm bringing this to the community.

I have raw round blanks in 19 and 11 bore. All that's needed is to machine the blanks into barrels. Anyone here have or know of someone that does have the machine capability to do this? Drawings can be provided for review on request. Thanks!

Hank

You have two barrels in 19 bore and two more in 11b? or your double with have one of each? Rifled? Not quite sure what you are looking for.

In any event, the one person that I'm quite certain could do this is Bobby Hoyt. Whether he would or not is another question I cannot even guess. Hoyt rebores barrels and also makes barrels from scratch. He made a custom .45 barrel for me in with a rifled false muzzle which I use on a Henry-esque muzzleloader. If it was just contouring the outside of the barrel, no doubt many other can do this, but I know that barrel contouring is not a favorite activity of many gunsmiths.

Are your barrels a leaded steel or true barrel-quality alloy?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hank01 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Four blanks total Brent. Two 19 bore and two 11 bore all AISI 1020 alloy. Just need to mill 'em to shape. You have contact info for Bobby Hoyt? Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert Hoyt
2379 Mt. Hope Road
Fairfield, PA. 17320-9759
Phone is (717) 642-6696

I've been told to call him first thing in the morning and let it ring. It was so many years (decades) ago, that I don't have any personal memory of my call, but I don't recall him being hard to reach. I see on line, however, that he can be. Phone appears to be the only way.

I think Lee Shaver in Missouri could be another (definitely capable). He gets pretty swamped (bad pun there), but his number is (417) 682-3330 in Lamar, MO.

Not sure if either of these are close to you.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who made your barrels?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

if you can provide the drawings i will be able to do it

Hank01 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by dblgnfix
if you can provide the drawings i will be able to do it

Best news in weeks. pm with e-mail address and i'll get a drawing to you. Thanks!

Thanks for the info Brent. Not to be a smarty pants but they're not barrels yet, just raw blanks. Material came from Coremark Metals.

Hank

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.