Guns & wood
1.Pair of ATKIN , SLE, Purdey SO, Harry Kell engraved, 12 bore, leightweight www.francislovel.com
2. BOSS SLE, ST, Gavin Gardiner auction dec 14, 2022, lot 139,est 6-9 KGBP, hammer 5 KGBP
Sold Sotheby's 4/1987 as nr. 2 of a pair, solid barrels. Resold Christies 11/1988 as single.
Barrels at Gardiner auction still same substance as 30+ years ago.
Unmolested and unbotoxed London Best, why then 5 KBP hammer.
Restocked some time between Christies and Gardiner auction for a left hander.
Restocking UK 5 KGBP, Ferlach 4 KE.
A wood-sculptor/stocker in a former Commie country of Central Europe for much less.
Oh yes, no joke, it is happening.
Anyhow, restocking a Boss ST is a touchy matter
There is a comprehensive book by Virgil M. Davis titled "Gunstock woods and other fine timbers",
limited edition, no Isbn, found it at a US trade show.
- Juglans regia and juglans hindsi (Claro) - ex Calico/Santa Rosa/California http://www.jpgbox.com/page/70611
- Juglans regia - ex Eastern Anatolia via IWA guntrade show Nuernberg http://www.jpgbox.com/page/70612
2. Amboina - Pterocarpus indicus
Rather a furniture wood, but have seen photo of an Amboina-stocked gun by Ferlach guru P. Hofer
The colour of this fine Amboina-wood is a light-brown, reddish specimen are a rarity.
Its peculiarity is a rose-odour, which does not fade/cease.
- Amboina burl slab - ex Ambon/Maluku via Theodor Nagel (+) / Hamburg http://www.jpgbox.com/page/70633
- Amboina Tabernakel / pre CNC work / clad with cut-veneer http://www.jpgbox.com/page/70618
3. Olive - Olea europea
-Olive burl slab ex Greece via Crapp/Hamburg http://www.jpgbox.com/page/70634
What mother nature has created in the stone world in all its beauty and variations can not be bettered
by any wood, Not just the spectacular museum pieces, but as well the merchandise items
at the trade shows or in the shops in the 1990's.
But that is off-topic to this forum.