May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (WBLDon, SKB, LGF, bushveld, 1 invisible), 283 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,560
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve dealt with cases like this and my best suggestion is you accept the fact the leather is totally mummified. I’ll bet there are many places on it where a slight scratch with your fingernail will flake pieces off. When it reaches that point just accept reality and have the case restored. It looks as though the frame is inrestorable condition.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
2 members like this: LetFly, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Contact Jeff from Jeff’s Outfitters, as he is closing he may have straps in his warehouse as he cleans it out.

Also consider checking with https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/ for parts and supplies to reset a case.

Lastly I have had work done by Kade Gile, who learned under Marvin Huey, and have been extremely happy with his work.

kadegile@hotmail.com

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
1 member likes this: LetFly
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Fine Shooting Accessories" in the UK can make you a set of straps and ship them here

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well LeyFly you have a case that requires a large helping of TLC but it is far from needing a Leather recover job on the whole Leather is extremely resilient if you treat it correctly and take time over it. In this photograph many folks would say it is not worth spending time on it .

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A lot of TLC and some effort the case can again look like it is looked after

Amazing what a re line can do and a couple of Bridal Leather straps having the correct Military roller buckles.

It is now the fitting keeper of of this period offering of the gunmakers art, actually it is just case window dressing..

I did do a step by step posting here of how to restore a Leather gun case (the one in the photographs) but is has now slipped into the past though it may still be found. My personal complaint is that when Dave Webber started the diy section it was to be a reference point for projects like this leaving me with the feeling I should not have bothered to take the time and trouble to do the number of these how to do it tutorials. A typical case of "Flash in the pan and failure in the barrel".
One day Webber may see some sense and bring them back to date, this is not the first time I have brought this subject up.

As for your case start the restoration with saddle soap and a damp cloth this will put back the moisture that the Leather is screaming for, do this cleaning about three times over a week. Next if you have any flaking leather use a small brush and some waterproof PVA adhesive to stick the flaking areas back down. Feed the leather with your choice of Leather preparation though I do prefer to use a quality hand cream, works well smells nice and a lot less costly. Finally dye the areas that stand out as bring lighter than the rest of the case. I also did a tutorial on how to re line and re fit the case inside you may be able to find that.

Good luck with your case if you do decide to restore it your self.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
7 members like this: Mills, John Roberts, mc, susjwp, Parabola, LetFly
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ernie (Damascus).....I can find all the posts made in the DIY forums. It's just a bit tedious if I haven't made them a favorite. One thing I would add is when starting a new thread in that forum, to make the title as clear as possible as to the subject matter. It makes searching so much easier when you aren't guessing what exactly a particular thread is going to be about.

For example, because i know you have created a number of those DIY threads, if I'm looking for one, I click on your profile, then click on the statistic by your name of your total posts (which gives me 50 pages of posts to look at), then click on the button that indicates threads started by you......an easily checked 24 threads.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/04/23 11:28 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
3 members like this: LetFly, damascus, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

How are the paper trade labels removed and attached to the refurbished case or if a new paper label is to be put on the felt, how is that done?

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

An appreciative thank you to all responding to my post. I am encouraged that this case can and will be put back to use with my VL&D Sauer Knockabout SxS's. I will check with Jeff on straps, great suggestion. I have started to work on the saddle soap remoisturizing process, thanks. Top is definitely worst than the bottom and sides of the case as far as leather condition. The hinges, frame and interior dividers are solid save for one piece that can be easily glued and reset. I will leave the St. John decal intact as there is significant history here. I suspect someone in ownership or management of this historic Charlston, SC hotel to be the original owner, T. E. M. Jr., of this case. I appreciate the contact information for professional trade contacts. And I will search for the tutorial. As always this forum is my go to space for assistance. Thanks.

2 members like this: susjwp, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback. Thankyou for putting in all that effort to guide folks how to find my post's, though it would have been much easier it they where put in the frequently asked questions and not just for me there are other people that have written and posted how to do tutorials, though they like me do not have the right recommendations for that such as a letter of introduction from both Great Grand Parents, an Affidavit from Parents stating that you are a fine upstanding citizen countersigned by the local Witch Finder General.

Borderbil. The removal of maker labels is usually an easy process if the label was fitted in the case roughly before 1960's. the method is to use steam and for a one off use a non automatic kettle (Yes I do know that Tea kettles are as rare as hens teeth on your side of the pond) with a piece of garden hose put down the spout with the other end of the hose put through a hole in a good quality plastic box with some make shift handle . you put the open end of the box that must be large enough to cover the label, a little time and steam will do the rest.
Up to the 1960's nearly all the Brit case labels where applied using either Rabbit skin or or Pearl glue both are water and steam soluble. At one time I was restoring and refitting a large number of gun cases so I used a household wall paper steamer stripper this works well but not worth the expense for a one off.
Removing Leather I used two methods, if the case was to be relined I would just cut the label out and use water through the baize to soften the glue. If it was a leather label change use a small brush water with a little dish soap added working from the top of the label apply water with the brush, it will slowly soak in to the Baize and gravity will pull the water down behind the label allowing you to peel it off little at a time. This is a labour of love taking a lot of time.

A modern guncase having had its label applied with PVA adhesive try any of the above butt in all honesty "Your on your own pall" .

Adhesive for refitting labels to cases I use two, household wallpaper adhesive, or Children's play PVA adhesive it is water soluble and made to come off clothes easily

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember well that original posting by Ernie, but am still awed by the transformation. Simply amazing what can be done to restore old leather.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

wow what a great job restoring the leather. I have tried but maybe not diligent enough

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.