May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marks_21, MattH, bbman3, Argo44, 1 invisible), 720 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,594
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gotta use the 10 gauge MEC steel shot wad and #3 steel soft shot

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Steel-Shot-3-bag_10/productinfo/SH03/

Mod/Full is what I use, would rather have IC/Mod or IC/IC

I use the old MEC wads (no longer sold by MEC)

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/10-gauge-wads/products/84/

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 12/14/22 11:03 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
1 member likes this: liverwort
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have posted this before, but in looking at my 10 gauge files, this one popped up smile

Hello,

Just a story to warm my heart. Some years ago, I was acquired by a Grade II L. C. Smith in 10 gauge that was made at the old plant. I feel that she is one of the last hammerless made at the Syracuse plant. She has damascus steel barrels that are beautiful to look at. One day she and I were involved in a gentle warm discussion and she asked me if I would take her duck hunting. I tried to explain that the rules had changed and now steel shot was required and smokeless powder was the norm. She looked at me with that special way that only she can do and said "Please, please." Well, no way that I could say no to "Her Sweetness."

So what is a fella to do. I found 25 Alcan all brass shotshell hulls that take the 57 size primers. I made a sizing die to insure they might fit into her sleek chambers. She was really excited when I showed her the brass hulls. She said she remembered the days when brass and also paper hulls were very common. Wow, is she pretty when she smiles. Now, I found some 1F black powder, and some 10 gauge over shot wads. I also bought some MEC 10 gauge steel wads which I cut off to the correct length to fit into the alcan hulls. I talked it over with her and said I would only be using #3 steel pellets to insure she would not get swollen. She sure did appreciate that. So, I combined the hulls, primers, dipper load of 1F black, cutoff MEC wad, same dipper of #3 steel shot and topped it off with an over shot wad and Elmer's glue around the edge. I did insure the shot volume was a little smaller that the wad volume to insure all the shot stayed in the wad during the travel down the barrels. I showed the finished cartridges to her and wow, did she shine with joy. Well now we made a date to go to the duck blind. I was so proud to show her off to my buddies, I mean who would not brag if his special gal would get up and go so early in the morning. Well, here came the test, I caressed her and THEN here came the ducks and it an instant, she was up and spoke with authority and power. Smoke was everywhere, but when it cleared TWO green head mallards were feet up on the water. WHAT A JOY. She has told me things that she has kept in her heart for years. She and I have grown closer and closer. We often just gaze at each other and smile. She does wonder if any of her old girlfriends out there hunt any more. I did assure her that I would find out.

Enjoy the hunt,

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
3 members like this: GLS, John Roberts, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
stan, i dont know you, except for what you post here...

That is my point. What have I ever posted that would in any way lead a reasonable person to think I would use steel in this gun? Nothing is the correct answer. But, before you go away, what was the BS you referred to?

Originally Posted by ed good
stan, all bs aside...pls dont shoot steel in this fine old nid...you will score the barrels for sure...

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ROMAC
It's a pleasure to shoot with my light lead lead reloads, I even load Polywad spreaders for tower shoots for pheasant.

I seem to recall that Jay Menefee, who founded Polywad, was an advocate of using short tens for crows. I remember a conversation with him once about that.

What does your Francotte weigh, Roger? My NID weighs 8 lbs. 7 oz. I used to have a 00 grade Elsie ten that tipped the scales at well over 10 lbs., and was just too cumbersome for me. It left, as partial trade, for my 32" Elsie 16 ga. FWE.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeettx,

Enjoyed your post, appreciated the care that you took but if she was that pretty shouldn’t you have spoilt her with some Bismuth?

Last edited by Parabola; 12/15/22 09:31 AM.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
My grandfathers Remington short 10, BE is a high condition gun with about 90% of finish remaining. My half brother has owned it for the last 60 years and it has not fired a single shell since he stole it out from under me. Darn brothers think they ought to get what should go to the youngest and best looking grandson.

I just worked out a trade for it’s proper return to me. Traded a Farmall tractor, owned by my grandfather, for the double. With luck, I’ll be able to take it out next year for late season ducks. I think that will be the first time it will be shot since I shot it two times in 1966. Before that it had not been shot since my grandfather bought his A-5 in 1946. As close as I can figure, it has had those nine shells I shot through it in 77 years. As I say low use for any gun. I used Blue Dot powder in Federal hulls cutdown to size with roll crimp. Somewhere I’ve got a box of Alcan or Magtech brass shells I picked at a gun show. If I can find them they would make some great black powder loads, not that the Remington needs black powder, but fun is where you find it these days and shooting black powder hunting is a hoot.

Please post some pics of it here when you get it back in hand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

stan, if you wish to discuss your personality issues, this is not the place...pm me, if you must...and i will try to help you as best i can, with my limited abilities...

meantime, wishing you well and all the best in this Christmas season...and the coming new year...2023!

Last edited by ed good; 12/15/22 11:19 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will Stan. First I have to get a puppy ready to send home with my son. He wanted a black lab male and my female has produced what looks to be a fine little fellow. He is six weeks old and getting into anything that he can. Working on basic sit, come, lead commands. He is nearly house trained. If he has his moms drive, he ought to be a lot of fun. Nothing is more fun than watching a puppy figure things out and seeing them click for him. He goes to his forever home right after Christmas.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus, in answer to your question about my experience shooting steel in my AYA 10: The original chokes in this gun were about .045 in both barrels and I never enlarged them. I was never able to detect any damage to the bores or the chokes. I've never similarly abused any of my other tens. I usually shoot them with chamber inserts and 12 gauge shells. I still have a small stash of RST tens, but I'm saving them for special occasions, like shooting my Winchester Model 01 lever gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks eightbore for the information. There seems to be a lot of confusion about steel and choke with all sorts of different advice. Nice to get practical experience to go by. I guess those AYA's are built pretty tough anyway. Lagopus.....

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.