April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

David, the fellow whose name you will not mention installed a set of non ejector Smith barrels on an ejector Smith for me. I don't know how he did it, but the ejector barrels eject and the extractor barrels extract. He didn't act like it was much of a problem.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Francis, there are used HOT's sometimes on eBay, Gen Broker and probably more. The average price I see them for is between $400-$500, the cheaper ones you might see who knows if they work and who knows if the higher priced ones work also. There are a few people I know that if they buy a gun with a HOT they will send it out to Buck Hamlin and have it converted to double triggers. I own a few with the HOT and like them, the one I bought was a Specialty Grade with the Trap Options, ventilated rib, twin ivory beads and a recoil pad. It was ordered as a REO with 32" barrels, Regular frame, ejectors and a HOT which was other option. On this particular gun the HOT works from right to left barrel but not left to right on the selector, but both barrels have the same constriction so no need to switch.
The biggest problem I see with a HOT is when the gun is sent to a gunsmith that does not know or understand on how the HOT works. The lock plate connecting screw can be a half turn too tight or too loose and the trigger will not work right. The top tang screw under the top lever can be off by one full turn. (this screw head is tapered like the top tang and not being tightened correctly if will not work. When these guns were sent out by the factory all the screws were timed. When I take the lock plates off a HOT I always use a dial caliper and take measurements before and then after to confirm my original readings.

Oh and Buck will not work on guns with a HOT, but Jerry Andrews will.

Bill it would be much easier to do the job if you had a Bridgeport with a digital readout instead of using a dial caliper to scribe the lines for the extractor/ejector stem and a few other places. If I'm not mistaken and if this is the same gun, the pusher for the extractor/ejector was not put in. That is there if is a problem with the extractor/ejector not working, the fore-end will move it. It wasn't much of a problem just took time laying it out for the different operations.

Last edited by David Williamson; 12/19/22 01:01 PM.

David

1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.