March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had seen where someone had posted about making a non-ejector barrel to an ejector barrel. I did do using my shop tools, radial drill press and a 16" drill press. I am just a hobbyist gun smith who likes to work on my own L.C. Smiths. This one is for a 16 ga. Field Grade that had a Hunter One Trigger and ejectors but the barrels were cut on the original gun.
hope you enjoy them, I had fun doing it and would do it again.
The hardest thing I have done so far is to take a stock that was not for a Hunter One Trigger and make it for a HOT. You think there is not much wood on a side lock shotgun, well there is even less once you remove the wood between the locks to accommodate the HOT. I used my mortising chisel and used the original stock as a template to guide the mortising chisel down through the inlet for the top tang to the bottom of the trigger plate. Tried it many times and finally put the good stock in and then took me about 20 minutes to get the nerve to pull the handle to the mortising chisel. Worked out great but I wouldn't try it again.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by David Williamson; 12/06/22 04:57 PM.

David

2 members like this: susjwp, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent pictures, David. I admire your resourcefulness. Well done.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Stan. I have some degree of mechanical skills and like to work on my own guns.

David

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done. More guts than I have! I have lots of machines in my shop, including that same drill press which I only use for polishing and wood work. You would really enjoy having a good vertical mill.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've worked on a Bridgeport for many years and yes that would be the right choice except it would not fit into my basement as to height. A few years ago I was thinking of buying a small mill from Grizzly but now I do not do as much as I used to. My shop is really set up for woodworking, but I do have a small Grizzly metal lathe that lets me make small projects. On my 20" drill press I bought a XY table and made a barrel wall thickness gage like the one that Glazan had. There are two rods one for 10-12 ga and the other for 16 ga., and I can get repeatable readings taking the barrels off and back on. As shown in the picture I can reach 16" into the barrel from breech up, but on a tight choke 12 ga. the muzzle end will not fit over the rod. (5/8" rod.625 plus half diameter of ball .0625

Last edited by David Williamson; 12/07/22 02:22 PM. Reason: mistake

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great post, David. Your comment about the Bridgeport reminded me of an experience I had as a teenager working in a local instrument shop. I was working late, by myself, when a delivery person beat on the door. He had the Bridgeport vertical mill that we had ordered months earlier. The driver was alone, and not well versed in material handling. We had a narrow driveway and a high dock, about useless unless the truck had a side door, which this one didn't. We took about 45 minutes getting the truck situated so we could move the mill onto the dock. I took another 45 minutes accumulating broom sticks and steel stock, enough so we could roll the big machine into the shop, about 25 yards or better. Short story was that my boss couldn't figure out how the big Bridgeport got set in place the night before. I'm not sure I ever explained it to him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would you happen to have more pictures of how it is assembled? This is really neat!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill, great story on moving the Bridgeport. They are so top-heavy that the best way to move one was the way you did it.
When I was working, our shop was getting remodeled and there was this massive Fosdick Radial Arm drill press that had to be moved. It was moved just as you described.

journeyman, what pictures would you like on the assembly? If the barrel wall measurements I didn't take any using the xy table on the big drill press. What I will tell you is even though the table is big it is only supported by the 4" column with a rank for up and down. Table is still shaky so I used two 2x4'a on each side of the table and lowered the table onto them and then locked the table to the column. This really helped in stabilizing it using the 3/4" drill chuck with a 1/4" ball end mill.
I also had to mill out an area for the spring loaded arm that is tapered to accommodate the brass arm so that when compressed into the slot the rod that the barrel goes over has to measure .625 Also and the ball has to be right across from the spring.

Someone, not mentioning name, said that this type gage and the Hosford gage will not work because of flex. I can't believe that because if it did you would not be able to repeat your measurements within .001-002 reading in the same exact area.

Last edited by David Williamson; 12/13/22 03:34 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

When moving a mill, it is best to lower the table as much as possible and turn the head upside down. If a large machine starts to turn over, you can't stop it; run out of the way.
Mike

1 member likes this: David Williamson
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are 100% correct in your description of the amount of wood that is relieved for accomodating the HOT system on an L.C. Smith shotgun. Very nice project indeed, great close-up fotos, just wondering in today's market, how available are the parts required for such an endeavor?? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.