March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 855 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just plain Oatey #5. Never the after rust issues that 'acid flux' (labled as such) has shown me.
I rinse the assembly off lightly when cooled down to rid it of the sticky excess flux left behind. Nothing extensive. Warm water.
Maybe there's less of the so called acid flux in it?. I don't know, I'm not a chemist and don't pretend to be one.

Ammonimum chloride is Salamoniac,,a common at one time soft solder flux itself. But hardly anyone still uses it. Sold in a bar form like a bar of soap.
Works good as a slow rust blue rusting agent as well..that's where I've used most it in the past.

So yes they are rusting agents. Metalic salts are. Potassium chloride (corrosive primers) Sodium Chloride (common salt), Ammonium chloride (salamoniac).
Some more so than others I suspect, some rinse away easier than others maybe too.

The heat used in the soldering process may invite more agressive action of the compounds(s),,another guess on my part.
I do know that once you button up that cavity betw the ribs and the bbl's, it's free to do what it wants to and many I've taken apart because of tell tale lines of live rust at the rib/bbl solder joints showed crusty rusting and deep pitting on the inside from the use of acid flux in soldering that was not completely removed. That inspite of the 'smiths insistance that they in fact did a complete job of removal before sweat soldering. I just don't trust using the stuff. If you get fine results then it's great and chaulk it up to the ' Everyone does things a bit differently and results are what matter'.

I've never had one returned to me for a problem that I've solder/relayed.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
ed good #622525 11/24/22 07:20 AM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
do any of you guys regulate the barrels to a specific point of aim or do you just solder them full length to the ribs and just hope for the best?

We're discussing RE-laying ribs here, ed, not building barrel assemblies from scratch. There are little spacers soldered between the barrels, between the top and bottom ribs. If they aren't messed with the regulation should not change. It has already been noted that one cannot clamp the top and bottom ribs too tightly during the process.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

happy turkey to awl!

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

my understanding is that the top rib joining of the last four inches or so to the barrels is what determines where the gun will shoot each barrel...

was curious to learn from those who have actually done rib relaying work, if they include re regulation of the gun as a necessary step in their process...

and what about the bottom filler rib? is that re attached before or after the top rib?

Last edited by ed good; 11/25/22 08:06 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels are jigged so a line tangent to the tops and bottoms of the barrels are parallel. As long as the barrels haven't been cut the muzzles are clamped and any spacers between the barrels are replaced where they were originally. The tinned top rib is placed onto the barrels as they were originally and wired with wedges to hold it in place. then the barrels are flipped over and the bottom rib is put in place. If the fore end hanger was removed it is important for the keel rib between the breech end and the fore end hanger is critical so the hanger is in the right place to get the correct bearing tension between the fore end and the action. Then the rest of the bottom rib is slid under the wires and wedged. The wedges on the top and bottom go the opposite direction to help maintain even pressure on the top and bottom. Some people put rosin un before and some after but the rosin will act as flux between the tinned barrel and ribs. With everything tight heat is applied. If using a torch, propane is hot enough. Start at the breech end, evenly hating both barrels. Wire solder is pounded flat to easily fit in the joint between the rib and barrels. It is important to apply the heat mainly to the barrels so the heat moves to the rib and not the other way. Add solder to any gaps you may see. As the solder starts to flow move toward the muzzle. It will go faster as the mettal is thinner so you have to be careful not to overheat. Gravity will flow the solder down to the bottom ribs and hanger. When everything is cool double check you don't see any pinholes Then cut all your wires and clean off any solder that is outside the joint. If you didn't have the triangle shape wedges hat filled the gaps at the muzzle put a ball of steel wool in the holes and use a solder iron to fill the void with solder. I've probably forgot something, but this is, to the best of my memory, how Mr. Dennis Potter taught me to do this. Now refinish the barrels and you are good to go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like to scribe a line across the muzzle where the barrels touch before disassembly. It’s used as a index when clamping for relaying.

1 member likes this: mc
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I point the narrow end of the flooring nails to the breach and so if you tap them to tighten the wire it will keep the rib tight to the short breech rib,,,unless this is a chopper lump or others that have a rib from breech to muzzle you can clamp at breech end

1 member likes this: mark
Sidelock
Sidelock

why not re regulate the gun during the rib relaying process...

then the workman will know that he has done all that he can to do to produce professional work...

otherwise, if it is discovered the gun does not shoot both barrels as expected, then the workman will be found at fault...

Last edited by ed good; 11/25/22 08:18 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why look for problems that don't exist? If there was no issue with regulation before a rib relay why screw something up. If there was a problem before that's another deal altogether. ( follow Mark's advice, follow Mark's advice, follow Mark's advice)

1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

well, perhaps part of performing professional work is to anticapate potential problems that may surface later on...

better to check for and fix regulation problems if necessary, while the barrels are being rejoined, rather than running the risk of having to deal with an unhappy customer later on...

and if the cost of re regulation is factored in as part of the re laying job, then getting paid should be no issue...however, if the work has to be done after the fact, one may encounter difficulty in getting paid...

why not do the extra work now, impress the customer with your knowledge and professionalism, get paid for your time and expertise and create a happy cutomer, who is then likely to refer you for similar work...

i have a nice old english hammer gun that needs the ribs relayed...when choosing a smith to do the work, i would hope barrel re regulation would be offered as part of the overall project...

Last edited by ed good; 11/26/22 10:01 AM.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.