March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Sandlapper, Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by greener4me
That’s who Jonny’s videos are made for. And Simon joins him to hype the next Holt’s auction. Lol

Yup....Johnny Come Lately and Simple Simon???[/quote]

This is doublegun.com where bragging how much better one is than everyone else is important and insults are stock in trade.

I don't see this as a sale promotion. It will exist well after the auction is gone. It doesn't particularly promote any one gun, or is it clear that any, much less all of them are for sale next week. Overall, it's a nice production that is about 1000 times better than I've seen by others on guns of any type on Youtube. I even learned something. And how many other places will one get to see the drop locks on a Wesley. And how many times is too many to view a Dickson? I can live with the inaccuracies for just those things alone. I can only hope they will make another soon.

But go ahead and pick it apart. That's what you guys do.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

3 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Buzz, Ghostrider
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Brent...... chill out man. Have you watched many of Jonny's video's? He has done a ton of them. He started as an employee in a gunshop and began the videos as a way of promoting the shop and it's wares. His videos have been so successful that he moved to doing them full time. Simon joins him, typically shortly before a Holt's auction and the topic is usually germane to Holt's ambitions for the auction. A sales promotion. THAT'S WHAT IT IS!

That doesn't mean it's bad, evil, useless or a waste of time. One poster here, who hasn't often contributed to the conversation, called a spade a spade in a humorous way. Big deal. One of the reason's Jonny's videos are so successful is because he imparts a lot of good information, targeting those who don't know very much about classic SxS, in a very accessible and entertaining way. But that doesn't mean they aren't, at their core, promotional vehicles.

Of course it doesn't promote any one gun. Holt's auction isn't selling just any one gun. But you don't need to be a university professor to figure out that low and mid range boxlock prices in the UK are tanking. That happens when there are lots of sellers and not enough buyers. So doing a video focusing on the qualities inherent on British boxlocks makes perfect sense. It's promoting a product range or class, not an individual item. Companies do that all the time.

Last edited by canvasback; 11/19/22 10:46 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can find a lot of examples of Simon and John's entertaining videos containing false information. This video was brought to my attention on the Reilly line 9 months ago:
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=436564&page=84

In it Simon and Johnny discuss the difference between a Stephen Grant and an "E.M. Reilly." The only problem as detailed in my response is that that gun is not an E.M Reilly. So did they just pick up a gun and and add a name to make a point? Was it a gun Reilly sold but did not claim to build? It's an entertaining video illustrating that you can get quality in lower priced guns but what about truth? I sent Simon and John a request for more information on that "Reilly" for my database. Crickets.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is useful to know that some things might be easy to acquire but can be very expensive to keep. Anyone who lived in England and bought a used Jaguar knows that.

3 members like this: Birdog, canvasback, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
cept new gons made after ww2 have no soul...

Ed: I think new guns that are still handcrafted have soul. I admire both the Spanish and British shotguns for that reason.

I don't know about Holts personally as a business, but my British boxlock came through them and I’m very happy with it. They do sell a lot of very nice unique guns.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of my favorite TGS episodes with Jonny was his in depth discussion of the Beretta 680 and progeny series. With a Leatherman tool, he stripped it down completely with commentary that parts availability is readily accessible, inexpensive, with no fitting required. The genius of the replaceable trunnions, ejector assembly, etc. was demonstrated. Well worth watching for those considering the series or owners who seek affirmation of their choice. Gil

1 member likes this: DoubleTake
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD
This is doublegun.com where bragging how much better one is than everyone else is important and insults are stock in trade.

Hahahaha, this is rich!

When I first came to this forum back around 2007, one of the first things I noticed was this bird, and his frequent personal attacks and insults directed toward poor old Lowell Glenthorne and others he didn't like. Those personal attacks are still there for anyone who cares to check... just to see how disingenuous and hypocritical the statement above really is.

And when this crybaby didn't get his way after personal attacks came back at him, he not only cried, but also attacked the site administrator Dave Weber, and launched a personal campaign to encourage others to support his boycott of donations to the forum. He often has had problems posting photos here, and blames Dave for not having free photo hosting, instead of blaming his own ineptitude.

He hates it here... but can't stay away. Petulant and immature doesn't begin to describe this behavior, which seems quite common among Liberal Left Democrats, for some reason.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
It is useful to know that some things might be easy to acquire but can be very expensive to keep. Anyone who lived in England and bought a used Jaguar knows that.

My son will be learning that lesson shortly with his new to him TR6.

I learned it well with larger sailing vessels. I’ve just struck a deal to look after and maintain a 30’ sloop (Alberg 30 for those who care) with someone else paying all the bills. Oh, and they don’t know how to sail the boat. Lol. So basically I have a boat to sail literally whenever I want and someone else is paying for it. Dumb luck. Should be good for a 5 year plus kick at it.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: HistoricBore
Sidelock
Sidelock

My father used to joke that sailing was standing in a cold shower tearing up 20’s and 50’s all the while claiming you have a good time. We sailed the Chesapeake and off the coast of Virginia. Dropping sail to take advantage of blue fish boiling after bait fish spin casting into them is something I will always remember with a smile.

Sometimes I think it it true for vintage guns and long range hunting trips that yield few birds for hundred of miles and some great walking and sights.

Last edited by old colonel; 11/20/22 02:24 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by canvasback
Originally Posted by Shotgunlover

My son will be learning that lesson shortly with his new to him TR6.

I learned it well with larger sailing vessels. I’ve just struck a deal to look after and maintain a 30’ sloop (Alberg 30 for those who care) with someone else paying all the bills. Oh, and they don’t know how to sail the boat. Lol. So basically I have a boat to sail literally whenever I want and someone else is paying for it. Dumb luck. Should be good for a 5 year plus kick at it.

I recommend the Apostle Islands, James. I spent a pleasant decade crewing on a similar sized craft, usually 38-42’ boats when a few friends had charter captains licenses. Ours were rented in Bayfield, all had small motors on board, highly recommended on Lake Superior.

Had a lot of fun camping on those islands. It got even better when we started dragging my 20’ runabout to use as a cab, or a barge to move crews from one boat or island to another. If you have the means to run 60mph back to Bayfield from one of the islands, you are truly never out of beer. Pretty strict equipment requirements on the big lake, but, those were good times.

Have fun.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.