March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian Forrester), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pictures Lloyd. Without significant scouting by someone, where does one set up with a sub two hundred yard rifle, lol? Safe and smooth for your December return. Gotta love those ruts that will be rock hard, and hidden with powder.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Cleaning up here today (almost as much work as getting ready to go). The evolution of ungulate hunting tools at this location (the '86 was my great-grandfather's)...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

and something to help deal with the fallout...

My wife and I have really enjoyed some of the recipes within (some are quite non-traditional). The section on flanks, shanks & ribs is also unique in my experience.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/05/22 02:25 PM.
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hadn’t realised that you were a southpaw as well Lloyd. Your great-grandfather’s ‘86 is sensibly ambidextrous. Is it a .33WCF?

Is the rifle on the left a Mauser 2000L (built for them by Heym) like my .308 pictured here with a 4-10x Pecar scope?

Last edited by Parabola; 12/05/22 05:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I had Grandpa's 86, that would be the only hunting rifle I'd ever need or use.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

2 members like this: Parabola, mc
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Parabola: You guessed right, .33 WCF. Ammo has been a challenge since the 1970s so I eventually bought the dies and can now reload for it (even the special 250-grain flat-nosed "pills" for it as not common anymore, so I stocked-up years ago). It's a truly great old gun and I used it exclusively in Pennsylvania until I left there for good, back in the 80s. The rifle on the left is my Weatherby. Nice southpaw .308 btw!

BrentD: When my son finally takes possession, it will be going on four generations of use in my family now (it would be 5 generations except my paternal Grandfather had his own [& very-nice] saddle-ring carbine Winchester 94 in .32 Special, so he never used this one to my knowledge). Out here, I stalk deer with it in closer conditions (like in giant sage) and as you might suspect, it works flawlessly. The ballistics of the .33 WCF mimic the .35 Remington. I have killed elk with it (long story) and it would work great in dark timber, but it's mostly relegated to mule deer out here now (although I did kill a buffalo with it once...).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/06/22 01:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,

Woodleigh used to make a 200 gr. flat nose for the .33WCF, so I asked a friend going to Australia if he could find some for me. He couldn’t but happened on a full box of the original Hornady Interlock flat points and brought them back for me.

I understand 210 gr Nosler .338 Partitions work well with the nose turned or filed down to produce a 200gr flat point.

Mostly I use 220 grain cast gas checks which can equal factory ballistics in this cartridge.

For cases I use .45-70 brass, annealed, necked down in a .40-65 die, annealed again and then formed in the factory Lee resizing die and trimmed.

My rifle is not a take-down, unlike yours. Thus far it has harvested one fallow doe, possibly the only deer shot in the UK with this calibre in the 21st century.

I am intrigued by the resemblance of your Weatherby to my Mauser/Heym. I wonder if they both used the same stock supplier, or whether Mauser just asked Heym to copy the Weatherby Californication style?

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Parabola: I stand corrected, the Hornady's I'm using are indeed 200-grain (not 250). The Gart Brothers were clearing out their Sportscastle here in Denver many years ago and I stocked-up because they were dirt cheap. As you also mentioned, resizing .45-70 brass down to .33 WCF is a two-stage process that requires annealing in-between (to avoid splitting the case upon the first use). A very pleasant rifle to shoot (recoil is almost nothing) and very consistent. The later M71 (which replaced the 1886) in .348 would belt you hard every time.

My Great-grandfather Preston (known locally as "Pedro") was evidently quite the horse-trader when it came to guns, but he never turned-loose of this one. He bought it new in Franklin, Pennsylvania (at the very end of 1886 production) and kept it until his passing in the early 1950s. With it's shotgun stock and ivory-tipped front sight (& the Lyman running sight he later added) it's a very fast mounting & shooting rifle that both he (& later my father) used very successfully on whitetails in the big hardwood forests of Venango County.

This one's been used on moose in Canada (lent to a family friend in the late 1940s), elk, and even a canned-hunt buffalo here in Colorado, but a fallow deer (in the UK even!) is quite unique. There can't be many still in regular use.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/06/22 01:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As of this morning, a lot of quality brass in .45-70 and other calibers hit the shelves in a number of places. Even .348 Winchester. Brass is definitely improving in availability.

_________

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BrentD: Just saw your earlier post. No...I don't use trekking poles just yet. I suppose that day might be coming.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/07/22 10:28 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
BrentD: Just saw your earlier post. No...I don't use trekking poles just yet. I suppose that day might be coming.

Dont wreck a knee or a back finding out that the day has arrived.... smile I don't always use them but they telescope and fit in my pack so I have them when I need them. I've had 3 knee scopes. I don't need another.

_________

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.