March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, SKB, Marc Ret, eightbore, cpa, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#622320 11/19/22 02:54 PM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi All

I recently won this on gunbroker, I was interested in the action, and thought it would be
fun to study

Dougall barrel and receiver

It arrived today, barrels are actually pretty nice and still ring. I don't suppose anyone
has any parts to help complete it. But I would love to know more about this shotgun and what it
most likely looked like originally. The serial number on the barrel is M 788, there is no serial number
on the receiver.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one about 25yrs ago, maybe more. A project gun that I never got to finish up. Sold off to another person with more time on their hands!
Opening the action with the lever moved the bbl set slightly foreward and then allowed them to drop down.
The breech face was made with round flanges for both chambers that the bbls set back into. That was the necessity for the bbl to push forward slightly before being able to drop down.
On closing the breech, you brought the bbls back up like any SxS. Then closing the lever pulled the bbl set backwards that small distance once again and the bbls engaged those protruding flanges in each of the chambers. I assume that was the 'Lock-Fast' idea.

Mine had an extra set of bbls that seemed to be an aftermarket make,,not quite right, but close and still 'in the white' .
The orig set if I am recalling the correct gun from those yrs ago had a name w/ Detroit, MI address on the top rib. I had never found any info connected to the name at the time.

I have seen the LockFast system used on a couple of the SxS handguns made in gauge bore sizes (Howdah Pistols?) Those back-up handguns for when hunting big kittys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr Physdoc. I love an optimist;)

1 member likes this: keith
Sidelock
Sidelock

Projects of all projects... WOW

Good Luck!

mc #622342 11/19/22 11:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mc
Mr Physdoc. I love an optimist;)

Fred, a lot of us are optimists when we think about rescuing a basket case gun. I recall reading about these guns, and thought they were pretty interesting. I imagine you knew before you bought it that finding the parts to return it to shooting form would have roughly the same odds as winning the Powerball jackpot. But you never know what might pop up, and the purchase price isn't going to break the bank. Good luck with it.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, truthfully, I had heard about Dougall Lock Fast's and thought "wow, this is a great opportunity to buy one to study it"
It really is a very interesting action. I thought "worse comes to worse, I can put it out on a table at a gun show and someone will
come along and I can get my money back".

That being said, I can't help but wonder if I could find some back action locks that could work with it. I have a milling machine
and think I could make a forend iron.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did essentially that with a boxlock 1908 Syracus SXS, taken on as a personal challenge.
Got an old parts list from a member, enough detail to work from.
Made a nice shooting gun.
Have at it, have fun, most rewarding

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a complete 16ga. I can take pictures of whatever you like as a reference.

1 member likes this: Parabola
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bsteele
I have a complete 16ga. I can take pictures of whatever you like as a reference.

Yes please, I would love to see pictures of the locks, triggers and guard and the forend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.