April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 207 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,760
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
My first love, in a car, was my '56 Chevy two-door 210 sedan, bought when I was 17. Repainted, re-upholstered, carpeted, new headliner and custom hubcaps, with longer rear spring shackles, and glasspacks, it was quite a clean (loud) street machine. Guys loved it. My heart throb hated it, so I dated her often in my Dad's 98 Olds. Next came a new '69 Camaro SS 350/300, Aztec Gold with black hockey puck side stripes and trunk lid spoiler. Girl friend liked it much better. Married her in Nov. '71. In the "family way" by the spring of '73, she'd have to drive 50 miles to her gynecologist during the hot summer months of that year for check-ups and the "Cameo" had no a/c, so wifey lost any love for it, too. First son born that October. Cameo was traded off for a (lowered compression) '73 Chevelle Laguna S3 eventually, but hey, it had a/c and it was quiet!

I could care less what happened to that '73 Chevelle, but I miss the '56 Chevy and the '69 Camaro SS every day of my life. Wife and I have made it in marriage for 51 years. Looking back, I made the right decisions ......... but I DO miss those two cars.

Stan, my '67 Camaro RS/SS was also Aztec Gold. No spoiler though the roof did come down. My girlfriend at the time didn't think much of it until I stopped one day at a store in a strip mall. This was about 1980 and a nice summer day so the roof was down. Ran in to pick something up while she waited in the car. When I came out the car was surrounded by about 5-6 guys but they were ogling the car, not my girlfriend. When we drove away she said " I still don't get the car but I guess you know what you are doing.....those guys wouldn't stop asking me questions about this stupid car!" LOL I think she was a bit peeved she wasn't the object of admiration.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Dan S. W.
These are all excellent vehicles and in-line with what I am currently considering. It is just finding the best deal on the least disastrous example. Whether that will be a 240/260/280Z, an AMX, a first gen firebird/camaro, or a falcon sprint is anyone's guess. I am particularly jealous of the Pantera and wish your son the best of luck with the TR6!

I would encourage you to hold out for a 240Z, and not go for the 260 and especially not the 280Z. My brother had one......they were lost by that point. If I was getting one it would only be a 70-72. Emission controls and safety standards started to take their toll in 1973 and it just got worse from there. Every year, slower and heavier. But thew early ones....wow.....they fit like the proverbial glove. I wore those cars, I didn't drive them.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

When the latest generation Camaro was introduced in 2010, design based on the '69, I stopped by a showroom and picked up the brochures on it. Kept them for 11 years. Fast forward. My grandson bought a low mileage, one owner 2010 Camaro SS with roughly 405 hp. He has become obsessed with learning all about Camaro history and what can be done with these new ones to make them faster. He is OCD about the car. He won't even drive it if it's raining, the roads are wet, or the destination is off the pavement. Last year he was here at our house for CHRISTmas and when he left I remembered my brochures. I told him to wait a minute until I came back. I handed them to him, telling him how long I'd had them, and that they were his now. He was speechless, but finally recovered and said he'd keep them forever.

I love this stuff.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The line has evolved from Diggory to motor sports. I'll share with you all a cure to addiction. "Do not love what cannot love you back."

Many years ago I bought the fastest 1953 DBD-34 BSA Gold Star 500 single in North Carolina and took it to Alabama before going to Vietnam the first time. Over the next few years I put it back in order with a competition clutch, new racing magneto, everything...even spraying off the mud from the NC dirt tracks. There came a point with parent's garage filled with DBD-34 frames and spare parts that enough was enough. I got rid of all of it (trading it for a Norton Commando in pristine condition in disassembled form in boxes) and never again embarked on the nostalgic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I drove my CJ-7 for 25 years all over India, Pakistan, Greece, the Balkans, Italy, France. My kids grew up in the back seat. The a/c never worked and we travelled with open windows in Crete stopping at road sides to get drinks. I elected not to do the work myself to restore it in 2014 and sold it to a former Marine who had two young kids that wanted to do fix it (though it was still running well...with bits of rust here and there). Basically though it was a rolling death trap with no airbags etc. (the Decals on the back window are code. if deciphered you are truly a historian)

You guys do your 1970's thing. Been there, done that.. and outside of shotguns that I can shoot, I welcome modernity. Just bought myself a new Wrangler JL Willys...back to the good old days. Except I don't have to spend $800 year in maintenance. And Jeep has finally fixed that crappy transmission after 14 years. (To demonstrate how close this one is to the CJ...wife, first time in the jeep, reached over to roll down the window. That showed we were close to nostalgia).

Last edited by Argo44; 11/18/22 11:42 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.