March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (PALUNC, Karl Graebner, Jtplumb, Caravaggio), 300 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
twines Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

https://imgur.com/gallery/EYEF3bU

I am trying identify and value this shotgun. It is in fantastic conditon. I know it is St. Etiennne proofed. I dont know if the French arsenal is the maker. The BD proof is a mystery. The St Etienne proof was used from 1860-69. I will take any and all bits of knowledge.

Thanks

Tom

Suppose you were an idiot and suppose
you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself - Twain.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome Tom.

This shows the St. Etienne proof mark was not used until 1897. Obviously the gun is much older. A French expert might explain.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The Crowned 'BD' is very likely a maker's mark; possibly the Liege tube maker Bauduin Doyen of Fraipont. The barrels are Twist/Damas Rubans.

I can't fit these letters with anyone here. 'LRD'?
http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20francaise/a%20accueil%20arme%20francaise%20gb.htm

Do you know when the cracked stock was repaired and refinished?

twines Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I fixed the cracked stock but the finish appears to be original. All I did was clean some gunk will oil and 0000 wool and it brightened right up. Most of the crack was inside and ran clear through so it impacted the finish minimumly . I had to do a minor bit of 400 grit sanding on the wrist but it blended in beautiflly. Managed to thourghly work some Gorrila wood glue after a bit of soaking in acetone. Seems solid. I have seen the proof listed as 1856-69 and 1860-69.

Thanks for all the info and hopefully a Frenchman will chime in.

Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reading through some French sites, it seems the poinçon d'épreuve of Saint Etienne get complicated. Up until 1855 it seems the proof house was privately owned. After that it devolved to the Chamber of Commerce of Saint Etienne. It appears that it was common for the controller des canons to put his mark on the guns as well as the proof mark of Saint Etienne.

Here is the poinçon d'épreuve for Saint Etienne beginning in 1825. Here is an example for Nicolas Carteron (from the early 1700's...admittedly) to illustrate the point:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

(One would expect the crown to disappear after the overthrow Louis Phillip in 1848...and restored 1855 when the French President Charles Lewis declared himself "Emperor Napoleon III. It was probably removed again after the battle of Sedan and the fall of Napoleon III and declaration of the 3rd French Republic 3 September 1870.)

So one would think that BD with a coronne would be perhaps a proof-house official. L.B.D or L.R.D. no doubt was the barrel maker. That is solvable but will take some time.

I'm still reading but hopefully FAB500 will know something.

- - - - - - - - -

Le Banc d’Epreuve entre en turbulence à partir de 1848 : il n’y a plus de syndic, le tarif et la validité de l’épreuve sont remis en cause par les armuriers…

L’éprouveur Merley-Duon meurt en 1855. Il sera le dernier entrepreneur privé de l’épreuve. En effet, à la demande des armuriers, de la ville et de la chambre de commerce, dès 1856 et par décret impérial, la gestion de l’épreuve est confiée à la chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Saint-Etienne. Le Banc d’Epreuve de la rue de l’Heurton est racheté à la veuve d’Augustin Merley et Merley-Tivet, ancien canonnier et contrôleur de la manufacture impériale, est nommé comme éprouveur. Avec la stabilisation de son fonctionnement, le Banc d’Epreuve voit s’établir dans sa proximité les canonniers et armuriers qui doivent venir y faire éprouver leurs productions. Se constitue ainsi de fait, par économie de déplacement, entre la canonnerie établie aux Rives pour la manufacture impériale et le banc d’épreuve, un véritable quartier armurier.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/13/22 01:32 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
twines Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The French have arrived. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I look forward for more information

Tom

Les Français sont arrivés. Merci beaucoup d'avoir pris le temps de répondre. J'attends plus d'informations

À M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eh bien mon ami. Unfortunately I'm not French but have a connection there through wife, language, and death of father in Normandy.

There are three true French here...Wildcattle who has disappeared into the wilds of Passionlachasse.fr, FAB500 who is not near Saint Etienne but who knows a lot, and one other in bas Normandie...who occasionally posts. Our best chance is FAB500.

I'll continue to look through this info....it's really a lot earlier than my usual research. It is history and will be fun. I would post this on Passionlachasse. However, although I'm registered there and get their monthly summaries, I've never figured out how to actually put up a post.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/11/22 08:53 PM.

twines Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the effort.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom it looks like you have a "cool old gun" vs an "important and significant gun"

If you have faith in your woodwork and repair of that stock, and if the metal appears to be fit for a ride - I suggest you give the bores and nipples a good cleaning and run it

It has the look of a great 'user' with lots of character

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the best article on the Banc d'Epreuve de Saint Etienne 1700 and 1800's that I've found. It looks as if even the French don't know everything. The author is asking owners of pistols and commercial firearms to forward pictures of their proof marks so that he can research the question further.

http://www.lapistole.com/GDAPoinconcivils.pdf

What the article does emphasize is that up to 1855 and the death of Augustin Merley, the last private proofer for commercial guns, Saint Etienne used both the palm fronds and crown of the Saint Etienne proof mark and his own mark crown over AM.

Here is a possible mark for Saint Etienne commercial arms privately proofed from 1831 (overthrow of Charles X) to 1856. There is a crown a palm fronds but the fronds do not cross. It's interesting that the author shows no proof marks for the 2nd Republic period 1848-1855. Perhaps since Augustin Merley was still working, they didn't change.

Merley died in 1855 and in 1856 the proofing responsibility for Saint Etienne commercial products devolved onto the Chamber of Commerce and Industry. The mark had the imperial crown and crossing palm fronds that appears on Twines' gun.

Again it is quite possible that the BD surmounted by crown is a proofer in the Saint Etienne commercial proof house at the time. Or it could be a commercial gun maker's mark.

However, again after the fall of Napoleon III and declaration of the 3rd French Republic 3 September 1870, it looks like the imperial crown was replaced by a stylized castle of sorts:

Anyway, the article is interesting. I'll translate it as time permits. Still looking to identify "BD."

Last edited by Argo44; 11/13/22 01:44 PM.

1 member likes this: Drew Hause
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reinforcing the possibility that BD was a controller in the civilian proof house is this article on Military revolvers produced in the 1870's for Manufacture d'Armes de Saint Etienne (MAS), the government run military arms factory win Saint Etienne.

https://www.revolver1873.fr/marquages-poincons-1873.php

The military used a separate proof system and mark.

Each proofer had his own mark that was placed on the military arm.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/13/22 02:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.