March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, earlyriser, Gunning Bird), 497 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's all passe'. There's nothing left to write about or introduce that hasn't already been done 100 times. Of course, there's always minutiae to discuss among us hardcore enthusiasts, such as the ridiculously long thread here on E. M. Reilly guns awhile back, on this and other online boards, but otherwise it's all about run its course.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 11/09/22 12:32 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago, when Sporting Classics started, they had an offer for a lifetime subscription. It has only a few articles on double guns, but I am always amazed at the fine color illustrations throughout the magazine.

2 members like this: Mills, Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted:

What sort of gun are predominating at Joe's Sporting Goods? Pumps? autoloaders? doubles? I'm assuming the vast majority are 12 bore. That hasn't seemed to have happened here quite yet. There are good selections of used guns here if you look for them, but most are very pedestrian. Nicer stuff simply isn't for sale in the big boxes or the smaller gunshops that I know about. Folks still seem to be hanging on to the more well-made stuff.

1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm re-reading books, and reading a new one for the first time ..... The Bullet's Flight by Mann. Fascinating.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Ted:

What sort of gun are predominating at Joe's Sporting Goods? Pumps? autoloaders? doubles? I'm assuming the vast majority are 12 bore. That hasn't seemed to have happened here quite yet. There are good selections of used guns here if you look for them, but most are very pedestrian. Nicer stuff simply isn't for sale in the big boxes or the smaller gunshops that I know about. Folks still seem to be hanging on to the more well-made stuff.

You want a 12 gauge A5 or a model 12 in the same gauge, you might have a dozen of each to choose from. Plenty of 1100s, too.

The metro area here is not really a gun snob zone. Working mans stuff. to a very large degree.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The early Shooting Sportsmans were great. I loved how they had sections devoted to upland hunting, waterfowl hunting, etc.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted:

Glad to hear it. Sounds like it's still safe to be a gun snob.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Ted:

Glad to hear it. Sounds like it's still safe to be a gun snob.

I shoulda’ mentioned at least half of them will have a rock hard, white line pad of some sort, and a vented Cutts or a Poly Choke.

They’ll be there next time you drive through. Probably the next time after that, too.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Shooting Sportsman was much better when Galen Winter and Michael McIntosh were alive. I noticed that the articles seemed to devolve into ads for canned hunts after they were both gone. Even if I could afford to do that sh1t, I wouldn’t. Not my cup of tea.

I like looking at the English articles, above, but, they don’t hold my interest like a magazine in my hand does.

The decline continues. Joe’s Sporting goods, in St. Paul is swimming in guns in the used department, that have pretty much been dumped there by the family of elderly bird hunters and shooters.

They literally can’t display it all.

Best,
Ted

Sounds like a good place to shop for a shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I continue to subscribe to Shooting Sportsman as it helps me keep up with the trends of shooting in America. I noticed several years ago that the magazine and its chief editor were focusing upon what younger shooters were doing and their choice of guns for whatever shooting that they are doing. From a business perspective that probably is prudent for Shooting Sportsman. I will also keep subscribing to their magazine as it still keeps me informed although the content is not focused upon things that interest the technical minded shooters---which is what I enjoy reading.

What is wrong at Shooting Sportsman and why are they loosing subscribers? One problem is technical content, and another is a "star" writer who produces monthly articles of significant interest each issue that the subscribers await eagerly.

America does not have a Michael McIntosh now and that absence still is discussed throughout the entire spectrum of shooters of classic shotguns and is demonstrated in the "black holes" of content in publications that these shooters read. That said, the influence of Diggory Hadoke in the shooting press of the UK has grown over the last 10 years and at the same time Hadoke's knowledge and writing skills about classic shotguns has gotten better substantially. I see no other writer in America that is forming in the background to be another McIntosh or a Hadoke. The younger shooters that Shooting Sportsman magazine wants to attract do not know who McIntosh was, but such a writer would have similar strong influence on them as McIntosh did on his generation of readers; and importantly for Shooting Sportsman produce additional revenue.

The majority of shooters are interested in learning more about the technical issues of the guns they like and it seems to me that Shooting Sportsman Senior Editor Vic Venters has more gun technical knowledge than did McIntosh and I think you can see that demostrated as McIntosh relied on his Purdey trained "stocker" British friend and colleague from his workshop in Maine to fill in all the areas that McIntosh needed technical reinforcement---this was a superb duo of writing talent and gun making skills.

Years ago when Michael McIntosh exited the role he had of writing about guns each month at Shooting Sportsman, a void was never filled by the subsequent writers who attempted to take up the baton and run with it. That void has not been filled even today after all these years. From time to time an article will appear about some task at gunmaking that is written by a gunsmith; and although the content is interesting these article do not go into the details of the particular task the way that David Trevallian would show us and tell us in the words written by his colleague Michael McIntosh. You will remember that the articles that McIntosh and Trevallian jointly produced were combined into the outstanding book 'Shotgun Technicana" of gun work on classic shotguns----- the price of buying a copy of it shows it worth today.

I just do not see that Shooting Sportsman magazine has a vision of what it want to be in the market place and for what that matters a vision of what the market place is or is going to be. To my mind and way of thinking it seems to me that the influence of Senior Editor Vic Venters is needed more at Shooting Sportsman if it is going to survive and more importantly thrive.

If you need to understand more of the knowledge and skills of Vic Venters purchase his two books and you will understand.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.