March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, FelixD, Dan R, CJF, Gerry Addison, 1 invisible), 363 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello everybody,

Thank you for your replies, I am sure all opinions and advice are with the best intentions.
It will be fantastic if I could use the shotguns "as is" without inserts.
It is a 12 ga and 65 mm. the barrels are really light and, I think, very thin also, but I do not have meassure equipment to know for sure.
For my eyes the pitting are horrendous; I saw "eroded craters" just ahead of the forcing cones.
I am not sure if I could take good pictures of the damage, but I will try (any advice?)
Also please tell me how can I post the photos (I do it in the past, but I do not remember how).

Best,

Jose

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jose’
You can email photos to me, if you wish, and I will post them.

That said, from your description, it might be a good time to dismantle the breech of the old Darne, remove the strikers, and hang the gun on the wall as a gunroom decoration. I’ve never seen a blown up Darne, and it would be nice to keep it that way.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello,

Finally I took some pictures of the Darne that I think are fine.
Ted Schefelbein, please send me your email address by private message and I will send you the pictures.

Best,

Jose

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jose’,

Done.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

This, to me, is heartbreaking.

We are looking at a beautifully decorated P17 grade 12 gauge Darne.The bores were 18.2mm when the gun left the proof house, a snug, but, typical measurement for French 12 gauge bore at the point 9” from the breech. There is a lot to like on this gun.

But, just looking at those pits is stomach churning. My Father, career Marine, used to say if you wouldn’t drink the water in a foreign country, you shouldn’t load their ammunition either, and I would guess this gun has seen some corrosive ammunition in its time. A damn shame, really. It is hard to guess, but, those areas of missing metal would seem to easily be .020-.040” deep, and they are in a bad, no, the worst spot they could possibly be.

The Darne game is one I have played for a while, and, I have considered, on several occasions, orphaned barrel sets. They turn up infrequently enough to catch my interest when they do. If this gun were mine (it is not) I might try that avenue first, with the hope the barrels could be removed from the monobloc, and used in the existing monobloc. Because the OP is a Mexican citizen, I doubt that option is one he can pursue. Due to the severe rules he faces on repair or replacement parts, for not just this gun, but, any gun, I’m thinking the advice of removing the strikers, storing them under the butt plate, and hanging it on a wall, that I gave much earlier in this discussion, might be the best plan.

Good luck, Jose’.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Something the fellow can buy on eBay is material

If he wants 4140 material, it's almost certain that it can be bought on eBay or some other online vendor

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tinker

If he wants 4140 material, it's almost certain that it can be bought on eBay or some other online vendor

I understood Jose as saying that ordering anything from outside of Mexico would be illegal, so I don't think eBay is an option. Jose, is that correct? What about ordering something within Mexico? Is that a possibility?

I sure would like to help you, as would many others here. You have a nice shotgun, along with a lathe, and the ability to fix the gun if you can just find the right tubing. It seems to me that with the wealth of knowledge we have on this forum, we oughta be able to figure out a way to get a piece of tubing to you.

Jose, what can we do to help you turn this into a working gun again? Send me a PM if there is something I can do to help you and you don't want to make it public.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by coosa
Originally Posted by Tinker

I understood Jose as saying that ordering anything from outside of Mexico would be illegal, so I don't think eBay is an option. Jose, is that correct? What about ordering something within Mexico? Is that a possibility?

I sure would like to help you, as would many others here. You have a nice shotgun, along with a lathe, and the ability to fix the gun if you can just find the right tubing. It seems to me that with the wealth of knowledge we have on this forum, we oughta be able to figure out a way to get a piece of tubing to you.

Yep, I find it hard to believe that a Mexican citizen is prohibited from importing a piece of 4140 or other appropriate alloy steel tubing. I think Jose was trying to say that it would be illegal for him to import gun parts such as sub-gauge chamber inserts. If I'm wrong, then it is pretty sad that any government would stop a law abiding citizen from importing steel tubing, when they essentially turn a blind eye, and permit tons of cocaine, heroin, fentanyl, and other narcotics to flow across our now unsecured Southern Border. Shame on our corrupt Democrat leaders for permitting it too.

I would also imagine that 4140 or another appropriate barrel tubing alloy would be available somewhere in Mexico. That or a pair of good used 16 or 20 gauge shotgun barrels to cut and machine to fit.

That is a nice looking shotgun. I would be hesitant to give up on it or relegate it to wall-hanger status just yet. One thing I have learned is that simply looking down a bore is not a good way to judge the severity of pitting. They typically look a lot deeper than they actually are. I myself have found a pretty good way to get a reasonably good measurement of the depth of barrel pitting. I also have an endoscope (bore scope). Cheap endoscopes and endoscope attachments for cell phones are available on Ebay and elsewhere.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello gentlemen:

Thank you for your warm answers.
I can not import any gun parts to Mexico; that is for sure.
I am not sure if I can buy one meter of steel tube from outside vie Internet; probably need to pay taxes or perhaps I am not allowed to buy steel from outside the Country, I do not know.
Locally I obtain 1518 steel with a 16mm inner diameter and 32mm outer, so I can make the inserts with that material.
I also hardly want to use that Darne again, so I think the best (from safety matters) is to convert it to a 20 ga via steel inserts.
Your words and interest in the subjet are the best help for motivate me to do it, thank you!
I will comment here the advances (or failures) I will have with this project.

Best,

Jose

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello gentlemen:

I have some advances in my DARNE proyect: I bought 1517 steel tube and machine with a lathe a pair of 45 centimeters (about 18 inches) inserts.

Now I am giving the inserts the last adjustments and I hope I can permanently glue the inserts in the old and damaged barrels.
My question is, what kind of glue do you recomend to use?

I have in mind 2 types:

1.- 275 dymetylacrilate ester (I think you name it red Locktite) for permanent gluing of automotive parts and
2.- Industrial epoxy type glue (2 compound parts that mix together and starts to cure in about 30 minutes.

The tolerances that I obtain are really tight, in most parts there are about 001-002" between barrels and inserts, so I am concern about the use of option #2 because the glue is so thick.

I really want a permanent fixing of the inserts inside the barrels!

Any knowledge advise from you?

Best regards,

Jose

Jose M. Fernandez
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.