March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Der Ami, Marc Ret, LeFusil, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 234 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#621109 10/24/22 03:13 PM
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Had a call this morning from my close shooting buddy. This guy was responsible for fueling my addiction in English guns. But I could tell he was distraught very fast into the conversation. Started by saying he had just left Fed Ex shipping his nice Boss to a dealer up north. And plans on shipping his Purdey pigeon gun tomorrow as well.
All his other English guns are going as well. Mostly Grants.
His frustration stems from multiple things and last week something happened that broke the camel's back so to speak. Seems he is fed up with repair costs, wait times on repairs (I'm talking months), no 2 1/2" shells nowhere to be found.
But the straw last week was he just got one gun back after months wait at this well know dealer / repair shop and paid almost $1400 for one repair only to find they had scratched the blueing off one of the barrels.
I suppose I should have seen it coming. I mean it's true about everything he was saying. It's expensive for repairs and the long wait. I want a leather pad installed and had to get on a wait list three months ago and still have a month to wait before I just take it there. No telling how long it will be before I see it again.
No ammo and if you find any the cost is more than I can stand, but I pay it anyway.
So for me to hear this guy say all this it just comes back to me everything I have been seeing and hearing for the last two years.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

reload. Always have shells and it's cheaper. I have 1600 16 ga 2.5" shells loaded up. Nothing else to do when I was recovering from shoulder surgery. lol I'm on an 8 month wait list to have a Westley oak and leather case refitted.

Last edited by Mike Harrell; 10/24/22 04:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shooting vintage guns can be like sailing, standing in a cold shower shredding 20’s and 50’s, claiming enjoyment. However the enjoyment does exist in doses that for me overcome the negatives.

For example, after buying a project Boss which took nine months to complete import, then onto restocking last May, back in October just in time for pheasant in South Dakota, the six of seven engaged make it all worth while.

Yes 2 1/2 12 is a pain, especially if you are almost pure 16 as I am, but the pleasure of loading roll crimped 1 1/8 #7 nickel silver plated hard shot, then seeing do beautifully again worthwhile.

I may soon be selling some guns, but only to make room in the budget for another, and to accept the guns I do not use need to be used by someone.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by old colonel
Shooting vintage guns can be like sailing, standing in a cold shower shredding 20’s and 50’s, claiming enjoyment. However the enjoyment does exist in doses that for me overcome the negatives.

For example, after buying a project Boss which took nine months to complete import, then onto restocking last May, back in October just in time for pheasant in South Dakota, the six of seven engaged make it all worth while.

Yes 2 1/2 12 is a pain, especially if you are almost pure 16 as I am, but the pleasure of loading roll crimped 1 1/8 #7 nickel silver plated hard shot, then seeing do beautifully again worthwhile.

I may soon be selling some guns, but only to make room in the budget for another, and to accept the guns I do not use need to be used by someone.

Well, the big thing I was into before vintage SxS was sailing keel boats. So your analogy rings absolutely true. LOL

I've spent my fair share of time waiting on gunsmiths. I learned early to stockpile the shells I like to use when I could, because you can never find them when you need them. And I accept the inconvenience of the whole endeavor. If I wanted easy, I'd shoot a modern 20 gauge auto. Easy isn't why I do this. I wave guys off this route if they want easy. I like it the way it is, headaches and all.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say that I feel your pain (because I do) but Wm. Jefferson fouled that expression forever. Shooting 16’s exclusively I dealt with the shell question long ago and started reloading everything I shoot. Frankly, it’s part of the enjoyment now and I never tally up the costs.

And as for the ‘smithing costs, there was a period where frustration caused serious reflection. I came out of that with a settled sense that I really, really enjoy owning and shooting and hunting these old SxS’s.

I haven’t looked back.

I’m sorry your friend came out in a different place.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said Canvasback and Old Colonel. And agree with Mike Harrell about reloading. Not only does it solve the problem of 2.5-inch shell scarcity, it enhances the whole experience even for standard-length shells. I enjoyed taking a few doves this past weekend with my LC Smith 12 gauge, choked full and full, using 2.75-inch reloads: 7/8 ounce #7.5 in left barrel, 7/8 ounce #8 with x-stream spreader in right barrel. Perfect for those high-flying late season birds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Primers are as scarce as 2.5-inch shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fortunately I have stockpiled enough for years, and once fired 12 Federal Paper Hulls can be found. Plastic Federal Gold Medal work well too.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Primers, get yer primers here

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/C...0-boxes-20000-primers/productinfo/CH209/

And the price is now down below $60 per thousand

Last edited by playing hooky; 10/24/22 07:46 PM. Reason: clarity
Sidelock
Sidelock

For you 16ga guys these made in France offerings have done well in my 2.5 Krupp barreled sxs and a5s. Factory short!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.