April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Stanton Hillis), 1,162 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for all the info. My question came largely from thinking about Damascus's go / no-go bore gauge. I was thinking about how that would affect the decision about a guns safety.

What I'm understanding is that if a gun is well out of proof, there's reason to suspect the walls might be overly thin. A gun being in proof is no gaurantee of good wall thickness but is a better bet.

Here's what I found on my Reilly, using a Manson wall thickness gauge and a skeets bore gauge:

Right: 0.655" diameter and 0.068" wall thickness @ 9" from breech. MWT 0.048" @ 9" from muzzle

Left: 0.657" diameter and 0.070" wall thickness @ 9" from the breech. WT 0.048 @ 9" from the muzzle and MWT 0.044 @ 6" from muzzle.

From the flats, I see the gun was proofed at 17/1 bore, which is 0.655". So the gun is well within proof (suggesting it hasn't been excessively honed, etc) and has plenty of wall thickness throughout to be safe to shoot.

[[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Jim
TCN Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Apropos of nothing and offered only as a funny anecdote, not to support a viewpoint . . . I was talking to an old engineer I used to shoot with about what I thought were some very thin barrels that he was shooting with. “Aren’t you worried?” I asked. He said he wasn’t and I persisted “why not?”

“For the same reason that the walls of my cartridges don’t burst, pressure takes the path of least resistance”.

"More important, we hoped that when Autumn came, the birds would fly"

-Guy De La Valdene
3 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Imperdix, greener4me
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

So when one oz of shot ahead of rapidly expanding gases exits stage left through the least resistance I might worry

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'll point out the elephant in the room.

How is blowing through a barrel wall ever less resistance than going down an open bore?

The answer disproves the engineer's reply.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are several bursting formula:

Barlow's Formula P = 2 x S x t / D
P=Bursting pressure in psi.
S=Tensile strength of material in tube wall.
t=Wall thickness in inches.
D=Outside diameter in inches.

Burrard preferred the Alger Burst Formula
Burst pressure = Ultimate tensile strength x 3(OD – ID) / OD + 2xID

Lame Formula
Burst pressure psi = Ultimate Tensile strength x (OD squared – ID squared) / OD squared + ID squared

Mechanical engineers (plural) with whom I have discussed barrel bursts explained that all 3 apply to a pressure vessel; a pipe capped at both ends.
An UNOBSTRUCTED shotgun barrel is very very briefly "obstructed" by the ejecta, which very quickly begins to move in response to the gas pressure, which then rapidly falls.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

SO the bursting formula do not work well for non-obstructional shotgun barrel bursts

Anywhere along the length of the tube where the gas pressure exceeds the bursting pressure, the burst becomes the "path of least resistance."

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is amazing the way the graph shows how quickly pressure dropped

Sidelock
Sidelock

not to worry...that graph should make us all feel warm an fuzzy...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
An UNOBSTRUCTED shotgun barrel is very very briefly "obstructed" by the ejecta, which very quickly begins to move in response to the gas pressure, which then rapidly falls.

This is exactly why I have so much problem believing that an overloaded (double charged, wrong powder, etc) shell, will ever burst the barrel wall several inches down bore. The pressure on that curve is down to ~2000 psi at 7 inches from the breech. That's less pressure than my JD tractors' working hydraulic pressures, and they are contained in some very thin walled tubing and run for thousands of hours at those pressures, including pressure spikes.

Until proven wrong with empirical data I will always believe a down bore barrel burst is caused by an obstruction other than the payload itself.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: TCN
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once asked Mike Orlen about pitting near the muzzle end of barrels being a potential burst area and his response: "a garden hose could handle the pressures near the barrel's end." Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Assuming Stan:
Adequate wall thickness
Adequate tensile strength
A tube free of defects

Thin walls do split. A Perazzi MX 2000 bored out to .012"

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.