March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

With the issues of lead shot ban, ageing of the double gun shooters, the high value of the US dollar there are numerous values at gun shops in the UK now. Here is one for a pair of best quality BLE with 2 3/4 inch chambers and 28 inch barrels that you can buy for US$7,500.00 and be able to get them shipped here for =/- US1,000.00 (about the amount of money that the oak and leather case alone is worth for these wonderful appearing guns).

https://www.gmackinlay.com/product/pair-of-12g-ad-ejectors-by-j-wilkes-28-x-2-3-4-barrels/

Further to this value is another extraordinary one: A 1905 Boss SLE made by John Robertson himself with his final upgraded patent trigger with 30 inch Boss made barrels of 1990 that have perfect bores and min wall thickness of .031" and .032"; with a 15" plus LOP stock. The barrels of this beauty are worth more than the entire gun price and the wood for the restocking would cost today maybe US$5,000.00 for the stock blank alone.

http://www.elderkinguns.co.uk/products.asp?productID=832

Searching through the gun dealers of quality in the UK their websites are just full of these values----- just as Diggory writes about.

Kindest regards
Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 10/11/22 03:55 PM.
1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the end is near:

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/william-p...tor-12-bore-gauge-side-/Shotguns/1531942

Lots, I mean lots, of good quality guns in England are a step away from the scrapper.

Best,
Ted

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Crying shame. Whatever depreciation in value occurring in Britain has not (IMO) translated to comparable devaluation on this side of the Pond. I still see thin walled guns (<.030) offered for more than I think they’re worth, especially hammer guns and sleeved guns.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its like the current stock markets buy at the bottom if you have the stomach for it.Hoping to make the Game fair 2024 to by a best gun if I have any money left.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With the Pound trading at $1.10 right now there is even a bit more wiggle room to buy. I have noticed a lot of box locks being worth less than the cost to import for sometime. It seems like the mid range guns are in steep decline price wise. They will settle but for about half of their previous value I think. Quality will always keep a gun value up there but mid range gun will find very few buyers and basic field grad guns have almost no interest I am told. If you could drive over there you could fill your truck up and drive home with a lot of guns for not too much money. But the cost of importing them takes a lot of the fun out of it and then I have to wonder if we are not just about ten years behind them, the UK, in the market crashing for our doubles. The next generation seems totally uninterested in doubles in any configuration than O/U. And like too many here I will be done shooting in too few years and gone in 20 years I expect. So many nice guns and not enough time or money to enjoy them all. I have four or five doubles I have bought this year that have not been shot once in the field or at clays.

Boxlock
Boxlock

The only young shooters that seem to favor the side by side are those who have been exposed in a positive way as children. I personally doubt that many will grow to become collectors of fine English doubles. If someone has purchased such best guns as an investment, they may wish to sell sooner than later.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Assuming there were a bridge across the Atlantic, the price of gasoline to drive your truck over and back would likely offset the savings.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't really follow the pricing of English doubles closely, but these prices are really eye opening. Have the prices of S X S accessories, such as l.o.m. and fitted cases followed suit?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

the price of moon rocks is way down...course, once you add in the cost of getting them here, then good old nh granite is still the rock of choice...

now, if you happen to already have moon rocks, consider yourself lucky...there are somethings about moon rocks that make them highly desireable, when compared to out plan ole earth rocks...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Words of wisdom indeed, Eddie. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.