Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm posting this for a friend. He has interest in a Lancaster base fire Shotgun. Lancaster patented his "Base Fire" in 1858 and might have taken over the market from pinfires had he not tried to monopolize the sale of ammunition for the gun. Apparently there is a slight difference between Lancaster "Base Fires" and Lancaster "Center Fire" guns. The

Lancaster breech face of a base fire with large diameter firing pins with a conical nose.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lancaster C-F versions have a much smaller diameter firing pin. There are base fires which have been modified to C-F; Is the firing pin size the only difference between the two?

Last edited by Argo44; 09/27/22 12:20 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

If that was the only difference you’d think you could just bush the firing pins, make smaller ones and enjoy. Maybe early guns were deemed to weak to convert or just said to be so as a way to sell more new guns.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Jon; my friend said that was exactly what was done, bushing the firing pins to convert Lancaster to C-F. His question is more esoteric though. Are the firing pins the only difference between early Lancaster base-fires and later Lancaster Center-Fires? He said apparently no one he has found in UK can give a definitive answer. I certainly can't. Gene

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lancaster >>Base-Fire<< guns are quite rare. I think that the cartridge(probably from the mid to late 1850s???) was akin to our 0.22" rimfire or Flobert cartridge now. ANY sharp pressure to the base of the cartridge would ignite a compound where flame raced thru 3 / 4 or 5 holes to an awaiting compressed Black powder charge. I do not think a priming cap had arrived on the scene by then????

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/ace-of-base-fire

And Steve Nash's excellent comments:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=575942

This one might be key: "It took me a while to understand that Lancaster's slide-and-drop action gun was also being built under a slightly modified design to use the early Pottet/Boxer or Schneider/Daw centre-fire cartridges. At first I thought these were simply converted base-fires, but no, these were built that way, concurrently with the base-fire. AaronN can tell us when the Pottet and Schneider cartridges first appeared in France, and as to the action designed for them, there is much history."

Last edited by Argo44; 09/27/22 07:29 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We forget the first job of any gun maker was to sell new guns, not improve older ones. Also there were so many failed “perfections” along the way. Countless locking systems, chokes, barrel lengths, features and special secret advantages for sportsman. Most were quickly left behind but a select few endured. The Jones under lever is a classic example of a obsolete System which long was used because it worked well, not that it was the best or only option.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.