March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, Argo44, Stanton Hillis, Pat Gidley), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, one would always find Black Bear & Ravens @ the land fill. I spent quite some time w/ the Game Warden and so I asked him, What is the difference between a Crow & a Raven?? He replied that is a good question and the Raven is larger. I was still perplexed as Ravens were thick as thieves, but protected. They are huge opportunists.

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

1 member likes this: Cameron
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ellenbr
BrentD:

Nice Moose & we ate a lot of Moose meat that was given to us. What is the chambering of that rifle, 45-70?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Yes, it is a .45-70. Properly loaded with black powder and a paper patched bullet.

Moose is the best meat I've ever had, but that particular steak was extra tasty being in the bush and after a week of freeze dried and other stale groceries.

Our "boat". This checked off another item on my bucket list. Always wanted to fly in one of these - in Alaska.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Where I lived, Bethel, the city dump had numerous ravens and a lesser number of crows, but the dominate bird at the dump was the seagull! Some friends and I started calling them dump chickens! And, I hated the plastic grocery bags! After a big wind, which happened often enough, the darn bags were strewn across the tundra for seemingly miles!

Ravens are very opportunistic and a very smart bird. Where I originally grew up in N ID, our property borders a small rural golf course, I'd be walking the property (mostly timbered) and find golf balls a long way from the course and think...no way someone could drive a ball this far! I asked my dad what he thought about that, and he indicated that he thought they were ravens that would pick the balls up off the course, thinking they may be a food source and when they realized they weren't, they'd drop the ball. I guess as good an explanation as any!

Sounds like a good trip Raimey, glad you had an opportunity to experience the area on a what sounds like a cool trip! Cool rifle Brent and a good-looking bull,,,,congrats!

Cameron Hughes
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

we take a battery powered sawsall to help dress out the moose. We never gut one anymore. Saawsall with 4 batteries will do two moose including cutting the antlers off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Enjoyed the video Mike! Nice country and it kind of gets the juices running for another AK moose hunt! I have to give you a hard time though for shooting a moose in the water! I always tried to avoid that, but sometimes it works out that way and that's when the work begins!

Last edited by Cameron; 09/21/22 10:58 AM.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Both ended up in the water. We always bring a honda winch. Pulls them right up the bank for dry processing. I've shot 4 or 5 over the years in the water. Have never processed one in the water. lol

2 members like this: Cameron, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Neat to know on the battery powered saw. I hadn't thought of that.

I heard many things about Bethel & that it was the place to be. Lots of Koreans and Korean restaurants, with Albanian Cabbies and Filipinos brought in as teachers. Seemed to be a thriving metro of 3k folks?

The Yup'ik term for a spent Salmon was something like Methluk or Muthluk??? I heard them use the terms on humans they considered to be in a similar state???

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another interesting aspect, the older Eskimos refer to White Folks as Cossacks.

I did get to meet the family of a Musher who won the 300 Mile local race, his dogs, etc. That Iditarod is a whale of a race & an event.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've been told that Bethel has the most cabs per capita than any place on earth. Not sure if that's true.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Yupik word for a white person is gussuk, pronounced how I spelled it and I don't remember if I spelled it correctly or not. It can be used in both derogatory or the opposite manner!

I wouldn't doubt the cabs per capita figure. With Bethel being the hub of the Y-K Delta there were villagers flying in constantly for shopping and entertainment. When I was there Albania and Yugoslavia was still under communist rule and most of the cab drivers were Albanians and Yugoslavians! At the time there was what was called a local option law in AK where the town could vote on wet, damp or dry, concerning liquor sales. Although many of the villages were dry, Bethel opted for damp, which meant one could bring it in for their own consumption from Anchorage, but there were no sales of liquor in town. Many of the cab drivers supplemented their income, by bootlegging beer or liquor to townfolk or those flying in from a local village at a sizeable mark-up! An interesting place, to say the least! Also when I lived there, there was one Korean restaurant that opened a year or two before I moved out and after the communist curtain fell, there were a number of Russians that moved there.

To keep on topic with the original thread, great idea Mike to have a winch along! Definitely sounds like the way to go! I do use a battery powered sawzall for quartering out elk and it works like a champ for that chore!

Cameron Hughes
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.