April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (montenegrin, SKB), 811 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ellenbr
Too, I learned it is better to hunt Moose on a float trip rather than being dropped off by a Bush Plane on a Mountain top. The Moose are eating the Willow trees & will be found near the wetlands.
rse

There are a lot of advantages of a drop trip too. Both styles of hunting have there pluses and minuses. We drop camped into the Yukon Delta and killed 2.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd love to do a float trip someday, but I would probably do another drop camp first.

Nothing is as good as moose meat

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

4 members like this: Cameron, Tim Cartmell, liverwort, SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

4 weeks until I leave for Kodiak.
Love seeing your pics!
These two-a-day stalking exercises are exhausting.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

wonderful thread...thanks for posting...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Mike Harrell
I'm too old to like sleeping on the ground. We take cots, air mattress, and folding chairs.

I am too. The 1st night I tired a cot & I switched to a mattress, which I forgot to self-inflate. It was indeed miserable. But after I remembered to inflate my mattress and put a tarp down, it was great sleep. We had some novel folding chairs but there is just so much you can ferry via Bush Plane to an old Gold Mine path. And then you are space limited on a raft. With all that kit on it, it was a Bear to navigate.

But with all that dry float wood on the rock bars, I could make a fire one in about 10 minutes one could see from the Space Station, without Boy Scout fluid.

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's awesome sir

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice! Some good eating for the winter!

One of the things I miss most is the fall moose hunt, from when I lived there. I hunted a time or two out of a F&G check station off the mid-Yukon river due to knowing the F&G employee that manned the check station and various other places around the Y-K Delta, including the Aniak river! Moose meat is much better as far as I was concerned than whitetail or mule deer, a toss up with elk. Never did a 14 day hunt, usually 4-6 days and having a plane, along with my hunting buddy who had a Cessna 180, we'd usually fly somewhere, where we could land, such as a sandbar or hardened lake bed on a remote river or slough and hunt out of the camp we'd set up. I had an 11' Zodiac with a 9.9 hp motor we take along to ply the rivers. Very slow going in the Zodiak with the two of us and a whole moose loaded in it!

I did fly around the Salmon river, off the Aniak looking for a strip to land on for a bear hunt, but never did follow up with a bear hunt. I wish I had!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

Yes, the Eskimos do live, to a large degree a subsistence lifestyle and harvest whatever salmon is in the river at the time, which is first the kings, then the reds, dogs and humpies with the last run being the silvers! There's also a lot of trading between the coastal Eskimos and those that live farther inland. Moose meat mainly from the inland natives for salmon berries and marine mammals, mainly seal meat, seal oil and some walrus from the coastal Eskimos, where there isn't much of any kind of big game i.e. moose, caribou, etc. They also hunt waterfowl in the spring when they migrate back after breakup and collect waterfowl eggs out on the tundra when the birds are nesting. Of course, things may have changed some from 30 years ago when I left the Y-K delta after 14 years there, but I doubt it's changed much!

About the only time I saw an Eskimo get prosecuted for shooting game was when some musk ox hitched a ride on some pack ice off Nunivak Island to the mainland. Some Eskimo was out running around on the tundra on his sno-go and came across the musk ox. He shot, if I remember correctly, 6 of the musk ox and left them there. He didn't get prosecuted for wanton waste of a game animal, but was prosecuted, again if I remember correctly, for shooting an animal that wasn't a traditional subsistence fish or game animal! He basically just got a slap on the wrist!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cameron:

No, it has not changed @ all. Eggs are still collected as you describe. The Eskimos hunt pretty much as the Bear & Wolf. Yeah, it is difficult to keep up w/ the types of Salmon: Chinooks, Kuskokim Chum, Coho and I think Sockeye?? Too, within the Salmon, you hear the term Silver as well as Red. Then there was an Eskimo term for a Salmon that had run its race, spawn and was well passed defending its young. It would just float until it was beached or picked up by an Osprey. Rainbow Trout were very common but protected. All was very interesting indeed.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD:

Nice Moose & we ate a lot of Moose meat that was given to us. What is the chambering of that rifle, 45-70?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

My hat's off to the Bush Pilots though. I guess the Best survive and a landing is more of a controlled crash. But on a Float trip, anything that falls off, you pretty much lose. If you shoot a Duck or a Goose & it falls in the River, probably a lost cause. So, there's a lot of planning on all aspects and a battery powered chainsaw is pretty much an essential.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.