Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#619495 09/19/22 08:10 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just got Obenauf's LP all over my hand(s) while treating my Russell South 40s and, after wiping that off, got Permethrin on them while treating my favorite woodland camos (my working cloths for up there). Coming down the home stretch for my departure to the north country. I have decided to fly this year, which is the first time in a long time now (I do hope my research into the matter has identified all the bugaboos about flying with guns. From everything I've been able to confirm, there are no new or other "bizarre" hoops to jump through?) I'll need to do several things while up there, including bringing a decent old 4x4 truck back to Colorado (leaving it up there all winter just doesn't make much sense anymore). I'll be using it to haul lots of flood-damaged materials and trash to the dump for several days (and that should be a good test of all it's systems). The goal this year is to stabilize the property and primary residence in anticipation of winter. If we can get the basic functions restored to the house (heat, hot water, stove, and laundry) we can hopefully chase a bird or two . The well water was tested and it passed muster in late August, so at least we should now have drinking water. I'm normally chomping at the bit to get up there but this year is very different. It will be hard to see things in such a dilapidated condition after soaking in flood waters for 4-months. All the "normal" Fall activities have taken a backseat to this natural/manmade(?) disaster (not exactly sure what happened to the dams in Canada that normally regulate the lake level, or why they weren't fully opened sooner?). The seven stages of mourning, right? This year the fun takes a backseat to other things. I just pray that the weather cooperates enough to have a little fun.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/19/22 08:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Make a prioritized list.
Work it in the morning.
Use the last hours of the day for woods walking.

It gives you something to look forward to every afternoon.

Don’t drink during the day either.

Out there doing it best I can.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drinking during the day largely ends it for me, and always has. A drink at the end of the day, after the trails have been walked, the fish have been caught, and the guns, the game, and the gear have been cleaned and put away is another matter. A before-dinner drink is preparatory to the "event" which we historically make fairly sumptuous up there (as, IMHO, all game meals should be).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/20/22 09:56 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree Lloyd.
People start with “just one”, and forward progress ends.

So I just control it as a general policy.

But if you are using help, and there are not clear boundaries on what you are trying to do, it’s very hard to keep people interested.

For instance, I have a cabin that needs a new roof. Well the roof is made of a number of parts. It’s unreasonable for me to think that people will just come work on my roof from beginning to end. So I break it into pieces, and attempt to complete individual pieces as a goal.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

lloyd, regarding reading material in case it rains...

you mentioned you liked "a hunters road" by fergus...

another well written bird hunting book is "a rough shooting dog" by the other fergus...

pm me your mailing address and i will send you a copy...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ed, I really like Charles Fergus as well and have, to my knowledge, all of his books, including the one you mention. He used to write articles for the Pennsylvania Game News as well, I believe. For the inevitable long & rainy days up there I will be taking several books. There is a decent library in Warroad, MN but....they will not allow anybody who isn't from Warroad to borrow them. Worried about them being spirited away to Canada, I guess?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/21/22 11:01 AM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My airline travel luggage/gun-case...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It has a handle and wheels, making it manageable, even for it's size. Fully loaded (w/2 guns, ammo, boots, camos, coats, hats, and vests) it exceeds the 50lb weight limit for most airlines (they'll still take it, they just charge extra). To keep things under the weight limit, I have a duffel in the top with the rest of my necessities (socks, undies, t-shirts, real shirts, jeans, etc.) that I remove upon arrival at check-in (same color and material). Without the carry-on duffel it weighs 47lbs tonight.

The combination lock gun-case is in the lower section. This and a backpack is all I can take this time. Big difference from last year.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/21/22 09:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

cool...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Go think I just fillex
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
My airline travel luggage/gun-case...

It has a handle and wheels, making it manageable, even for it's size. Fully loaded (w/2 guns, ammo, boots, camos, coats, hats, and vests) it exceeds the 50lb weight limit for most airlines (they'll still take it, they just charge extra). To keep things under the weight limit, I have a duffel in the top with the rest of my necessities (socks, undies, t-shirts, real shirts, jeans, etc.) that I remove upon arrival at check-in (same color and material). Without the carry-on duffel it weighs 47lbs tonight.

The combination lock gun-case is in the lower section. This and a backpack is all I can take this time. Big difference from last year.

To compare, I just filled an f150 for the same thing. Leaving at 6 am.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It seems odd not to be taking my English gun this trip, but conditions up there (and here) have acted to dissuade me. This year (assuming that I will actually get to walk a trail or two) will be with either a dainty Dickenson 28 and/or a recently rejuvenated M12 in 16. The current shortage of 2 1/2-inch 16-bore shells was a factor in that decision as well, but this circa 1927 Nickel Steel M12 (under 500k sn) has been modified to handle modern 16 gauge loads. It will be on it's first venture afield with a shortened barrel due to a crack (some steel stupidity in it's past?) and opened chokes (light Mod now).

I am also now hearing that my brother won't be bringing any of his guns (he doesn't like to fly much anymore either) so I can guess who will likely be using that M12 in 16. There will also be a very early M12(1913) in 20 (w/the 25-inch barrel) to choose from if needed. Sounds like an M12 convention, eh?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/22/22 03:03 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.