March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, David Williamson, Southern Sport, Sandlapper), 276 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So it's okay to use a turnscrew on a pin, in steel, and it's also okay to use it on a screw, in wood?

I wouldn't want to misuse the new turn screws, don't you know. As I understand it they are to be ground to fit the screws, and pins, on a particular gun. And, unless the slots are the same on another, should not be swapped around.?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
So it's okay to use a turnscrew on a pin, in steel, and it's also okay to use it on a screw, in wood?

I wouldn't want to misuse the new turn screws, don't you know. As I understand it they are to be ground to fit the screws, and pins, on a particular gun. And, unless the slots are the same on another, should not be swapped around.?

Stan,
I probably have 30+ turnscrews, all ground to fit most slots I come across. I’ve got a few specialty ones that I’ve made as well. I don’t think 3 that come in a kit are gonna cover it for all needs. Yes, fit them to work on a particular size slot.
I’ve found that most turnscrews that come in kits or even fancy ones found in cases aren’t what I’m looking for in a working tool.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis

Stan,
I probably have 30+ turnscrews, all ground to fit most slots I come across. I’ve got a few specialty ones that I’ve made as well. I don’t think 3 that come in a kit are gonna cover it for all needs. Yes, fit them to work on a particular size slot.
I’ve found that most turnscrews that come in kits or even fancy ones found in cases aren’t what I’m looking for in a working tool.

Dustin notes correctly that turnscrews of many sizes are needed. In the following video the gunsmith is using a turnscrew that also shows that proper handle size and blade strength and size is important for the type of work needed on occasions. In this video a slip of the turnscrew will be costly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most apprentices joining gun makers were in their early to mid teens. Hence it was useful to have terminology easily understood by them and precise enough to avoid confusion in the workshop. This might explain why most gunmaking terms are short words of anglosaxon origin and not long latiny ones. Almost every one understood terms like pin, screw, wire, dog, axle and having just one term for each thing helped avoid confusion.

1 member likes this: eeb
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Dustin, and others. I didn't mean to mislead ..... I have many on my workbench as well, and have long understood the necessity of perfectly fitting them to the screw being removed/replaced. I was being a bit facetious about these fancy nancy turnscrews that came with this set. Not quite what I am used to.

While we're at it, is it true that all better English guns have screws with tapered slots? I'm not being facetious about this. My only English gun is a Hollis and I've never needed to disassemble it, except for removing the barrels.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

Out of respect for the "gunsmiths" who built my doubles, I no longer turn a screw if possible. There is a shop an hour away, who is excellent for just about any job I need. I will repair a mass production gun, when needed, but not one which was hand made for the most part, or in its entirety. I hate buggered screws and just do not want to create any myself. I also have stopped feeling the need to renew case colors. If I can fade away, my guns should be allowed to do so as well. I do still enjoy stock work and refinishing stocks but can see that too will cease to be a major thing soon. I guess I have gone from altering as needed, to restoring as wanted, to now conserving for the next generation to enjoy as near to condition as I find guns.

5 members like this: Run With The Fox, Joe Wood, greener4me, Stanton Hillis, Dan S. W.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stanton,
I too have noted many with tapered slots (in German guns). In observing the screws/pins being fitted in the first place I noticed the following. Most had a sacrificial slot that was filed away in "clocking" them. If the final slot was filed, it was usually tapered, but if sawed with a jewelers saw had straight sided slots. I also noted that most screwdrivers/turnscrews were self-made, mostly from worn out Pilar files and also most were twisted like a corkscrew, to guard against breaking.
Mike

2 members like this: Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ummm

A screw requires a turnscrew to “screw” it in or out and has threads on it. A pin is simple a cylindrical push in push out peg. Usually used to allow something like a hammer to rotate on it. But not always.

All the best

Skeeterbd

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeeters,you would think so but if you took a hammer to a hand pin you might be in trouble

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeeter, the threadless "pins" you are referring to are called axles by English gunmakers.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.