April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ian Forrester, Ken Nelson), 213 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#618910 09/02/22 02:01 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When was August Shuler building Charles Daly guns and how are such guns marked for example Rib or proof area markings?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well the experts are no doubt in the dove fields for now, but according to their Prussian Charles Daly imports publication Lindner stopped in 1914. For more information look at germanhuntingguns.com. I will check out my other book and get what I can but those old experts might chime in next couple evenings after they settle in from the heat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here you go scroll down and info you seek is somewhat there http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/richard-schuler-and-the-august-schuler-co/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ps. I will have a Daly shooting over a water hole tomorrow 😀

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shot Sousa's Daly Sextuple Trap Gun today and found that he was a much more skilled trapshooter than I am. I will try again soon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you could pleasure us with some fotos or send them to me, I'd gladly post them. Ernst Lindner, H.A. Lindner's son & apparently only business heir, fell in fierce fighting with the Brits so H.A. Lindner more than likely shuttered his compagnie in June/July 1915. Now remember that Joseph Gales of Elizabeth, NJ expired June 3rd, 1916. So I am not exactly sure who was doing the sourcing nor to whom but I would say that S,D&G were courting anyone they could to fill orders.

>>Back to Schoverling, Daly & Gales and much later in 1899 after Charles Daly's death, on November 25th, 1899 Schoverling, Daly & Gales was incorporated by Jospeh Gales of Elizabeth, New Jersey, Ella Daly King of East Orange, New Jersey and Theodore William Stake of New York City. William Theodore Stake was born in 1861 in NY City but educated in London and then Canada. He was vice president in 1915 and VP, secretary & director in 1918 after Joseph Gales' expiring on June 3rd, 1916(born April 29th, 1847). Some concern, maybe S,D&G offered a scattergun with the tradename T.W. Stake.

Frederic J. Wilbur was a director in 1914.<<

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=253048

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=149166

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are Daly examples where the adornment has been identified as by the hand of Fritz Heimbeck on wares of August Schüler. It was circa 1935(100 year anniv for August Schüler) where correspondence between August Schüler and a Friedrik W. Hollender of NYC, that notes Daly was sourcing Schüler. So the longarm would have to date the the early 1930s and be adorned by Fritz Heimbeck.

Post WWI, 1919, S,D&G was sold according to some sources. Henry Modell, Sloan's Sporting Goods, Outdoor Sports Headquarters and Davega Sporing Goods. Some traded the name, some traded the company apparently. Like all Daly centred stuff, there is a veil or some smoke & mirrors.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

>>....... It seems that J.P. Sauer changed "sole agents" quite often as in 1892 Wiebusch & Hilger, Limited of 84 & 86 Chambers Street, New York were "sole agents": http://books.google.com/books?id=AEM9AAA...uhl&f=false .

As usual in searching for something else, I stumbled across the following info but haven't found the full document. Albeit a bit of opinion, I think it gives insight to the overall picture of the Daly/Lindner/Sauer relationship and should have been quite accurate seeing it was penned in the mid 1940s. The gist being the following:

Charles Daly had an idea, and apparently an accurate one, of what the American sportsman would hold in esteem and cherish. He travelled to England to procure a concern to build his American idea of a sporting scattergun. None of the British concerns would give him the time of day with respect to his idea of a longarm for the sportsman of the U.S. of A. So for some reason, and I speculate it was August Schoverling, he turned to Germany where he found a relatively unknown craftsman by the name of Lindner(I assumed the name was used loosely referring to Georg and later H.A.). I think it is here that the retailer/wholesaler/component source/craftsman model needs to be addressed. Lindner was the wholesaler and served as quality control before the examples were shipped to Schoverling, Daly & Gales. Lindner sourced the components and had craftsman to perform specific tasks and I think they continued to continue the same after the death of Lindner's son in 1915 with another wholesaler at the helm possibly with Lindner having a partial role. Conjecture from the mid 1940s has it that Lindner finished the upper rung models while the run of the mill Dalys were more or less completed at the Sauer facility and inspected by Lindner. Where the cut-off was, I can't say for now, maybe the 275 or 375?

Charles Daly's son, along with Gales, continued the business and it appears that both expired by 1925. It was then in 1927 or 1928 that Schoverling, Daly & Gales was sold to Davega Sporing Goods, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davega_Stores (I know some of you don't cotton to Wikipedia), while the Daly trademark was sold to Sloan's Sporting Goods at about the same time.

Then it looks like Davega Sporting Goods faltered in the early 1960s(1963) and Modell Sporting Goods absorbed them. Maybe that's the Modell Sporting Goods connection......<<<

Just a reference

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=174697&page=14

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.