March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, L. Brown), 864 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of Cape Bufffalo Ruark actually wrote "He looks at you like you owe him money."

And Roger's monicker is ROMAC, not Roman.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan, I’m certainly not a Ruark scholar and would readily admit that he could have said a thing in different ways in different places but in studying Fracassi’s work on Cape Buffalo and especially the buff he created 30 years ago on a small oval belt buckle I found myself seeing through one man’s art what another man was saying through his. I did have to check to be sure that memory migration was not in play as what I’d read was long ago. In the first edition hard back version of Ruark’s “Use Enough Gun” (p. 96) he says of “mbogo”, he is, “… big and mean and ugly and hard to stop, and vindictive and cruel and surly and ornery. He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money.”

For Ruark to be able to see and then say this and for Fracassi to be able to profoundly express the same thing (and so much more) through his medium surely touches Jordan Peterson’s observation that true art “…opens your eyes to the domain of the transcendent.” And by way of application, “…unless you can make a connection to the transcendent then you don’t have the strength to prevail.”

Personally, the difficulties of this year have borne witness to the validity of this.

Speude Bradeos
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

This type of highly detailed photographic engraving is second to none though I do have reservations. I have seen two older Bulino engraved guns both guns where in a used condition, sadly the bottom of each action the engraving was practically non existent due to hand ware. also the lower section of each lock plate also showed sighs of ware reducing the engraving value. Sadly guns with this type of engraving are for long time looking at and short time shooting. That said I would still like to hang a new condition one on my study wall instead of a well worn pinfire I have there.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

The bullino style engraving creates it's image by shadow.
That shadow is created by the tiny burr pushed up by the graver point.
The graver is sharpened to a very small V point with a narrow included angle and a very low face angle. This so the burr is raised with little effort. Just barely touching the surface will
produce a burr.
The Bullino graver is fragile compared to a standard line cutting graver because of it's low face angle. But with it you get the necessary sharp burr needed.

By changing the pressure and the angle that the graver makes with the surface of the work, those burrs can be manipulated in depth and size.
This produces differing shadow effects.
Add to that then how closely those burrs,,or 'dots' as they are often called,,are placed together and you can get anything from Black all the way to White and anything inbetw
on the Gray scale for 'color'.

Again placing them closer together or farther apart is the (simple!) key to forming the images themselves. The same idea as newsprint only in a much more detailed form of course.

Bullino scenes can loose some of their detail and photographic look when viewed at different angles. It's simply those shadows not showing up as well or not at all as the light and the standing burr that casts it are moved.

Wear to the surface removes the everything the engraver took countless hours to place there to create the image. So with heavy wear the image can disappear down to only a mear outline of character lines of the subject and some heavier background cuts.
If done on Gold inlay work, the wear can be gone very quickly from the soft alloys.

Bank Note Engraving is different in that it is done with lines cut with a graver.
The lines are incised (cut) and not done by raising small burrs to create an image.
BankNote does use dots and tiny dash markings but they are cut into the surface, not raised as burrs.
In BankNote the dots are used the same way as in Bullino in that closely grouped dots will show as a dark 'color' and loosely spaced as a lighter color.
Images can be made the same way by placing the dots and dashes together.

Cross hatch lines are also used extensively to shade engraving in banknote style
But they are all surface level cut lines on BankNote engraving.
BankNote was/is a form of print engraving, the shallow, thin lines holding the ink on the plate cut with the image.

When done on guns, the same style of cutting was used.
Nimschke used BankNote style on most all of his figures and scenes.

2 members like this: FallCreekFan, Jolly Bill
Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert Swartley did fine banknote engraving. It is much less likely to wear, especially if case hardened.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter:

Thank you for that explanation. It makes both styles much clearer.

Rem

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Kutter
The bullino style engraving creates it's image by shadow…
By changing the pressure and the angle that the graver makes with the surface of the work, those burrs can be manipulated in depth and size. This produces differing shadow effects. Add to that then how closely those burrs,,or 'dots' as they are often called,,are placed together and you can get anything from Black all the way to White and anything in between on the Gray scale for 'color'.

On the buckle buffalo that I mentioned above the background is black. I could not conceive how Fracassi could produce that without colorizing. Now I can. Thanks.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a photo of Bob's bank note engraved 1886 rifle...

https://engraverscafe.com/threads/robert-swartley.26923/

Sam Welch
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.