April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Marks_21, Kolar Dickson, FlyChamps, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 925 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
...a gun with .006 wall, is compromised.

I work in the pressure vessel industry, and I would substitute the word 'terrifying' for 'compromised.'

Six thou' is roughly two sheets of cheap photocopier paper thick.

KY Jon #616909 07/21/22 01:00 AM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, Trust but measure. Assume nothing until you know.

KY Jon #616910 07/21/22 04:46 AM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall reading (somewhere) that with some 12 ga. 2' doubles it was believed(speculated?) that barrels were proofed in the white and when finished by the gunmaker, the barrels' exteriors may have been further struck to reduce weight which would have left bore measurements intact. I'd verify the MWT as it does sound like a misprint. Two pieces of copy paper stacked together measure .007". Here's an article that discusses the 2" 12 ga. guns and it mentions wall thicknesses with one gun measuring .012".

https://shootingsportsman.com/short-shell-12-2-guns/
Gil

KY Jon #616911 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
I owned a 2” several years ago. The loads it used generated a lot more than 1,305psi. More along 8,400psi. One factory shell I could get were Lavale I think and they were really unpleasant to shoot. About as unpleasant as shooting a 3” 20. 2” 12 were struck light to really be a 20 gauge type feeling gun. You ended up with a 5 pound gun with IM chokes in both barrels. I tried a 15/16 load which patterned very poorly. My best load was a 7/8 ounce load and one Federal paper cutdown load which was 13/16 ounce.

I moved on from it because it did nothing a good 20 could not do much better and the 20 could handle a full ounce where the 2” 12 could not. Or at least mine patterned poorly with anything above 7/8 ounce. I was told one maker made just about all the 2” guns no matter what was engraved on them. For those who own and love them you don’t have to worry about my bidding against you for one. Enjoy them in peace.

Jon, you're referring to Lyalvale shells. They are unpleasant, for sure. The late Bill Hanus was hawking them at one point. Sent me some to try out. Back then I often shot skeet with a lawyer friend who owned a really nice Lebeau Courally boxlock. I handed him a couple Lyalvales on Station 1: "Here you go, Bill . . . give these light British loads a try!" He only shot one of them and had some very unkind words for me.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'll throw my thoughts and experiences in on this one.
1st Drews pressure data. The SAPL after 12/50 should alert us to something unique to this pressure. A click on the link provided Shows cartridges 12/50 with a note "FUN tir cartridges are a 12/50 caliber "gum-cudgel" type cartridge that can only be used in products from the SAPL Co. I translate gum-cudgel as Rubber Club. They look like non lethal defense products firing a rubber ball.
2nd GLS comment Pretty much all new production guns are finished "In the White" with some polishing afterwards.
3rd Ted S/Imperdix" comment are I'm sure the answer.
A wall thickness survey before and after the thin spot,particularly adjacent to but up against the ribs would most likely tell what the original thickness was.

I once sold a 1935 H&H 12-2" Dominion back to H&H New York.So as not to waste time doing the Wall Thickness song and dance I advised Guy D. The wall thickness is only .014" each Barrel. 9" back from the Muzzle. Without looking up from the gun he said "Don't worry that's the way we made them!
Hope some of this helps. It's a Sleever for sure, good lock finding suitable tubes.

Last edited by Hugh Lomas; 07/21/22 08:59 AM. Reason: Didn't want to slight Imperdix by omitting his contribution.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, Drew Hause
KY Jon #616927 07/22/22 04:02 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
A gun is out of proof if a plug .010 larger than the plug used to determine bore diameter goes down 9” where the bore is measured. So a gun with a .720 bore is still in proof if a .730 plug will not go the full 9”. It might be .728 or .729 and if the plug won’t go it is still considered in proof. Also any alteration of chambers will put it out of proof. So if the barrels start out at .025 thickness and gets cleaned up to .008 to remove pits it still is in proof. But and this is a big, but the wall thickness may have gone from .025 down to .017. Thin but still in proof. ...

This statement is not correct. If the bore of a gun is opened or honed to an inside diameter. 008" larger than its' original proof bore diameter, it will still be in proof, as stated. But the barrel wall thickness will not be reduced by .008". On average, the wall thickness wiil only be reduced by .004". In this example, the original wall thickness of .025" will not be .017" after reaming or honing, but more like .021". That's a significant difference.

I am curious about the location of the area in the barrels mentioned that have a .006" MWT. I agree with Ted and Fudd about them being both very compromised, and scary too. I don't want even 1000 psi of powder gasses abruptly escaping anywhere near my eyes or fingers. There are too many perfectly sound guns available to risk using one with barrels that are soup can thin.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

2 members like this: Parabola, Ted Schefelbein
KY Jon #616941 07/22/22 03:45 PM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes Keith you are right. But the point is being in proof means nothing as to being safe. Many here, think being in proof is good enough. The gun listed above is clearly in proof and has a wall thickness of .006. I doubt anyone here would be happy to find out their new purchase has walls that thick and I doubt anyone who sees what .006 looks like will shoot it. I doubt a .006 tomato stake would last long.

KY Jon #616943 07/22/22 04:17 PM
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A gun passing proof with MWT of .006 does not make sense to me. Something doesn’t jive; there’s more to this story. I would think such a gun would be summarily rejected by the proof house regardless of whether it survived the proof loads. The authorities responsible wouldn’t be so hidebound as to pass a gun that was obviously unsafe, would they?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Hugh Lomas
I'll throw my thoughts and experiences in on this one.
1st Drews pressure data. The SAPL after 12/50 should alert us to something unique to this pressure. A click on the link provided Shows cartridges 12/50 with a note "FUN tir cartridges are a 12/50 caliber "gum-cudgel" type cartridge that can only be used in products from the SAPL Co. I translate gum-cudgel as Rubber Club. They look like non lethal defense products firing a rubber ball.
2nd GLS comment Pretty much all new production guns are finished "In the White" with some polishing afterwards.
3rd Ted S/Imperdix" comment are I'm sure the answer.
A wall thickness survey before and after the thin spot,particularly adjacent to but up against the ribs would most likely tell what the original thickness was.

I once sold a 1935 H&H 12-2" Dominion back to H&H New York.So as not to waste time doing the Wall Thickness song and dance I advised Guy D. The wall thickness is only .014" each Barrel. 9" back from the Muzzle. Without looking up from the gun he said "Don't worry that's the way we made them!
Hope some of this helps. It's a Sleever for sure, good lock finding suitable tubes.

Hugh--Glad you chimed in! I remember looking at a 2" 12 in your shop and discussing the fact that barrel walls often left the maker on the thin side. And I think I recall discussing the lighter proof that was allowed on 2" 12's under the 1954 rules with you.

KY Jon #616945 07/22/22 08:26 PM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

eeb, this gun did not just pass proof. I am sure it was proofed with barrels thicker than .006. Holt's has clearly stated the barrels now are .006 and that it is in fact still in proof and legal for them to sell. How is that possible? Proof does not include a wall thickness determination. The proof house does not measure wall thickness. They give you a yes or no answer to does this gun pass a proof load with out issues.

Perhaps it had a dent that was raised and struck before reblacking. I bet that it was a dent raised which is the root cause instead of honing to death. SO it might be a localized issue but where is the issue. Perhaps it has been reamed out to clean up pits down the bore, but the first 9" still have some metal left so it is still within .009 of what it was proofed. IF the original barrels were .014 and it has been honed until they are now .006 they could still be in proof. Just not anything I want to buy and certainly nothing I wish anyone here to use thinking being in proof means safe to fire. Measure everything and then decide what your level of risk you want to take. A .006" spot an inch from the muzzle might be a judgement call but not one just under your left hand. That is a accident waiting to happen.

IN PROOF MEANS NOTHING CERTAIN BEYOND LEGAL TO SELL. IT IS NOT A GUARANTEE OF SAFETY MANY ASSUME. END OF LARGE PRINT.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, eeb
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.