March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jason H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As I have stated in posts below, I have been doing some research on the Double barrel Trap package that Hunter Arms offered from around late 1919-1925 or so. I am in need of more guns to glean info from to make this research as accurate as I can.

In particular I am in need of info from L.C. Smiths guns that have the following configuration.

#1 Built between 1919 and 1925

#2 Must have a Hunter Selective One Trigger

#3 Must have a beavertail forend

#4 Must NOT have a Vent rib

I have a certain number of "searches" left at the Cody Museum tha houses the remaining L.C. Smith records. If someone contacts me that owns such a gun, that fits the research criteria, I will provide them with all the info that Cody has on their SPECIFIC gun. I will do this until my searches run out in number. I honestly don't know how many I have left, but if you contact me I will return the favor with all the info I can find out about your gun.

This will be the EXACT same info you would get in an offical Cody letter, but it won't be an offical COdy letter. Those cost I think $55.00 for non-members...this info will be provided by me as I have paid for a certain number of serial number searches.

NOTE: This will only apply to guns that I think will fit into the scope of my research. Pictures of your gun and serial number will get me started, and we can go from there. My email is in my profile, I do hope some of you have something to contribute and I look forward to speaking with each of you that do.

Boxlock
Boxlock

i have a lc crown RE110683 however I believe it was make in 1927 It has 32" full and full barrels beaver forarm single hunter trigger straight mc stock. if you have any question you can email me at falcons44dude@windstream.net I would like to know who it was made for someone shoot a lot of trap with this gun It has two coil reducers in stock and kicks very little. Its a great gun.I'm sure it was made for someone who shot competively. any info i can give you or anything you can tell me about this gun would be appreciated. Thanks Carl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a nice gun. I think you'll have to contact the Cody Firearms Museum for the kind of info you want. You can Google them for their info.

You can also try the board at lcsmith.org, but they don't have manufacturers records or that kind of stuff.

How does a recoil reducer reduce recoil? Is it a spring-type system with a two piece stock?

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 10/17/07 08:09 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

To my knowledge recoil reducers were promoted after LC Smith ceased production. They sound like after market stuff.
bill

I've got a 1922 manufacture Specialty Grade that meets your criteria. It has 32" barrels, beavertail forend, Hunter One Trigger, English grip, no vent rib, 2 ivory beads. (RE 44892). The stock drop is such that it seems configured to shoot high. I've always thought it was set up for trap, but have never inquired. If you haven't already done so, you should also consider posting your inquiry on the L C Smith board.

Jason H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LCFox,

Indeed your gun sounds quite nice. If it's vintage 1927 or so it will not fall into this research project. The double barrel trap package I am researching was offered from 1920 or so up to 1925 and then it was eliminated. It was eliminated in the sense that you could then buy guns off the shelf that came standard with what was once special order options available when one ordered the Double barrel trap package.

The recoil reducers sure sound aftermarket, and I would think your correct in thinking the gun was set up for someone who shot quite a bit. Would make for an interesting gun to view...how about posting some pictures of the gun here?

Jason H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

hktabes,

Your gun sure sounds like it would fall into my research project. I have posted this request on the L.C. Forum and have a few other guys helping me obtain some much needed info. By chance have you ordered a Cody letter for your gun? If your a member of the Buffalo Bill Museum (Cody) you can request with your Cody letter a copy of the ledger your gun appears in. It is this info that is important to my research.

How the gun was recorded in the ledgers is exactly the info I am in need of. In the "type" column there were codes and one theory out there is that if the letter "T" was found in the entry, it stood for Double Barrel Trap package. There are other theories about this "T" entry as well and that is the reason I have decided to research this further and try to come up with a definitive answer backed up with historical evidence.

Is the Beavertail forend on your gun a little wider and longer than other Beavertail forends? It is stated in L.C. Smith literature that with the Double Barrel Trap package got a "special" beavertail forend. Here is two pictures showing the difference in the two...

The forend on the upper gun is from my 1926 Crown Grade. It has the regular Schnabel type, while the lower gun is from my 1924 Eagle Grade that I believe is a gun with the Double Barrel Trap package. It has the longer and wider forend and is quite different than the standard one. A different view...

In both of these pictures I tried to line up the back edge of the forends to show the difference in length.

It should be noted that there is yet again another type of beaver tail forend variant and I believe RevDocDrew has one on his Picture Trail some where. Drew if you read this, I think it is from a Specialty Grade from down in the "silo" can you provide that picture here to show the other longer and wide type of forend?

I would like to discuss your gun further if you are willing to do so. I would like to order the info for your gun from Cody and see what is entered in the Type column. As I said in my first post about this project, I will do this free of charge for those who offer this info to me for research purposes. If you already have recieved info from Cody, I won't waste your time doing it again.

Laslty, I would love to see pictures of your gun to add to my collection for this research. My email can be found in my profile. Thank you very much for all the replies thus far.

I have not ordered a Cody letter on this gun. The beavertail is wider and longer than the beavertails on two other Smiths I have, but does not look like either of the beavertails you picture. It is probably the length of your Eagle forend, but has a Schnabel end (less pronounced than your Crown) and, of course, the Specialty checkering is different. In checking my records I find that one of the other Smiths I mentioned above is a 1922 Ideal with Hunter One Trigger, 30" barrels, English grip, no vent rib, and a small beavertail (maybe 2/3 or 3/4 the size of the beavertail on the Speciality). It also seems to fit your criteria. Ser # is 48092; FWIW, it is FWE; as noted, the Specialty is RE. I will try to email some pictures of both guns to you, but it will likely be the weekend before I can do it.

Jason H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

hktabes,

Sounds great, I am looking forward to seeing the gun and I do hope it turns out to be one of the guns I need info on for my research!

Correction on the Ideal Grade serial number and date of manufacture. As you suggested off-line, it is in fact an FWS serial # and is a 1949 gun, not a 1922 gun. I will get the pictures to you over the weekend.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.