May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Stanton Hillis, LRF, Hammergun, R. Glenz, CJF, 1 invisible), 317 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,770
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
GregSY Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes. You have to use the right media but it can be done. I think soda blasting might do it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

well. I'll stick to diamond hones and well backed wet-dry paper. I have the technology and ability to use those right now if I need to

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GregSY Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK by me!

More food for thought....a media blast would take 5-10 minutes to do a receiver, and like all sandblasting works just as well in corners, crevices, and rounded surfaces.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If your gun will be only for display I can see how the case colors hidding engraving detail can upset you. But, if you will use the gun alot on the range and in the field you will get 2 enjoyments from it. First you will enjoy the colors and then as the seasons pass you will be treated to the engraving detail with a hint of color as the colors slowly fade. That's when the true beauty of the art is showcased and you may say that it gets better with age. As an example I would remind you all of some of the Remingtons that Semmer has shown us in the Double Gun Journal and other vintage doubles shown as well.

GregSY Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here what they say about soda, keep in mind there are different grits:

"What is soda blast? Soda blast is a sodium bicarbonate product. It is a non hazardous, environmentally friendly blasting media that is used to strip graffiti off of walls, clean fragile aluminum parts such as auto parts, or any other delicate surface where damage to underlying structure is a concern. You can even strip paint off an aluminum paint can at 10 psi without damage to the can!

If you must have a diamond media, here it is:

" Resin and Metal bond diamonds are very popular abrasive media for free abrasive lapping and polishing applications, suitable for very tight tolerances and very high surface finish applications. They are also a popular free abrasive media to be used with oil, glycol and water based vehicles for lapping and polishing of various materials such as ceramics, carbides and sapphires, etc.

They also sell media for dermabrasion - human faces - so I think that would not hurt scratchings in metal.

DI Offline

Dig wrote:
I do not like re-coloured guns.

Just a personal opinion but to me they very rarely look right and often look horrible.

If I could figure out how to add pictures to this thread, I would share with everyone a receiver I just had re-case hardened, and it looks wonderful. Sorry Dig.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "oxide stuff" that forms from heating the metal in a carbon and mineral rich environment and dunking in a mineral rich quench is very thin. If the surface is not polished, it will not form in a way that shows colors well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun's gotta look right. If it's a full blown restoration the colors should be true to the makers original style. Other than that I agree with Dig, let them fade gracefully and save the vivid colors for new guns.

How are those RBL's, flowing out of the factory yet?

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I sent my Lefever DS to Color case company he requested that it be polished down to 600 grit. He even sent it back to me for further polishing when he didnt think it enough.It causes the Color Case to be more brilliant evidently.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.