April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ChiefC, MattH, Lloyd3, Drew Hause, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 649 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,814
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Mark II
I didn't know about ultrasonic until lately. So I can't speak to it's accuracy. In a Double gun class I took 3 separate mechanical gauges with 3 people using them came within .001 of each other in measurement so it was repeatable. Does anyone have an idea what an ultrasonic device costs?

https://www.google.com/search?clien...eFelsko+UTG+P1&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Sidelock
Sidelock

yeah, but if you go for it, you can use it to make money...

diaignosing all kinds of internal medicine stuff...

and then there is the scientific weather forecasting gig...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

yeah, but if you go for it, you can use it to make money...

like diaignosing all kinds of internal medicine stuff...

and then there is the scientific weather forecasting gig...

Last edited by ed good; 06/23/22 08:16 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might even work as a head thickness gauge. Um..we need a volunteer, Ed.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

No doubletake even ultrasonic can't penetrate that.

5 members like this: SKB, graybeardtmm3, bushveld, DoubleTake, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
William: your question is not unreasonable, and I believe the answer is relevant to this discussion, which may be found toward the bottom here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZIo0y746UsSRZIgRuuxwAbZjSBHitO_EanvwLYc-kGA/edit....

Could you please share the wall thickness gauge that you use, and the end-of-chamber and 9" MWTs of your Lefevers?
Thank you. Drew Hause

Preacher, the wall thickness of my Lefever barrels, and the means I use to evaluate them is 100% irrelevant here. I think your silly and unreasonable request is little more than an attempt to deflect from my legitimate question. My comment and question concerned why you would posts links to recommendations concerning safe barrel wall thickness from others such as Dr. Gaddy, Jay Shachter, and Dudley, yet totally disregard those numbers when using your one-and-only Damascus barreled shotgun, an OE Grade L.C. Smith

We have had many discussions on barrel wall thickness here over the years. You know as well as I do that virtually nobody here would consider the .016" minimum wall thickness of your gun adequate, especially at 14" from the breech. If someone here asked whether it would be wise to buy a gun with .016" MWT at that point, the general consensus would be to avoid it like the China Virus.

.016" is about the thickness of a paper matchbook cover. That's why matchbook covers were commonly used to set ignition points gaps in the past, when feeler gauges weren't handy.

You mention the number of various loads that were fired in your 0ne-and-only Damascus barreled gun, prior to measuring them. Yet you say there was no dimensional change from firing all those shells. How can you know that to be true, if prior measuring had not been done???

What is even a bigger concern is whether or not your own measurements are accurate. I say this because I vividly recall how you argued for three days that lengthening the chambers of vintage American doubles would result in an INCREASE in wall thickness at the end of the re-cut chambers. Miller and I had to provide pictures and detailed explanations to finally get it through your skull that removing metal in that region would not, and could not, INCREASE wall thickness. I'm not sure we ever really convinced you. As you yourself have frequently stated, barrel evaluations should be done only by those who have the proper measuring equipment, AND the EXPERTISE to use it. You cannot simply Google your way to becoming an expert. It takes a combination of facts, skill, experience, and intelligence.

You also frequently admonish and lecture guys about a lack of "personal responsibility" when they persist with using guns that you deem unsafe without ever having examined them. Here is an example from the document you provided the link to:

"The following is a recommendation for evaluations that should be undertaken prior to using ANY vintage barrel; Pattern Welded, Decarbonized, or Fluid Steel. The shooter may choose to do more, or less, based on his (possibly misplaced) confidence in the safety of the barrels and tolerance of uncertainty. Choosing to make no effort to determine barrel integrity is foolish in the extreme.
The man pulling the trigger is ultimately responsible for subsequent events. If we only shoot/hunt alone, we can choose to use whatever shotgun and load we wish (if legal). But most of us shoot clay targets with others, and hunt with a friend, son, grandson or granddaughter. We must ask ourselves what will be our explanation should a piece of shrapnel from our gun pierce the skull of a friend or child, leaving them paralyzed, mute, and bedridden for the rest of their not-much-of-a life? And what is our plan to pay for the lost wages, pain & suffering, and life-time care?
If we choose to use a Damascus barrel “proven to be intrinsically dangerous” we WILL lose the personal injury lawsuit if no effort was made to evaluate that barrel. And there is no doubt that a host of “experts” would willingly testify in the civil trial as to our irresponsibility."

Now, when you talk about the potential of losing a personal injury lawsuit as a result of a barrel rupture injury, how do you think you would fare if your one-and-only Damascus barreled gun caused an injury, and it could be shown in court that you knew the barrels were dangerously thin, according to your own admissions, and data you provided from other experts in the field? Do you think that your uninformed and unproven opinion that a leather covered barrel guard was enough to protect those innocent women and children around you from being maimed, paralyzed, mute, and bedridden? Could you prove the pressure of the load that was used at the time when the gun barrel ruptured? And look at your post #58 for MWT's from that Parker Forum thread where you posted that the minimum at 16" from the breech is .022" for Standard STEEL barrels, while yours is .016" at 14" from the breech. Your friend Homeless jOe would advise you to donate your one-and-only Damascus barreled gun to a Cracker Barrel to hang on the wall.

But that would leave our self-styled shotgun barrel "expert" with zero Damascus barreled guns. That's the great thing about the internet... anyone can pretend to be something they aren't, and some people will be fooled. I found this quote at the end of your barrel evaluation essay:

Mark Twain
“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ho, ho, ho...

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

yeah, but...

watt duz hit awl mean, alfie?

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

If I give you an answer will you stop ed?

Wall thickness recommendations can reliably be made based on the measurement a large sample of unmolested barrels; for my purpose vintage pattern welded and fluid steel. That data has been posted.

Recommendations for vintage shotguns are however dependent on:
The tensile strength of the steel used to fabricate the barrel
The presence of pits as determined by visualization with a bore scope or camera. Mechanical gauges are unable to measure the thickness at the bottom of pits; I would be very interested if the current ultrasonic devices can do so.
The pressure of the load the shooter intends to use

SO examiners must individualize their advice. Simple minds want simple answers ed but it's not that easy.

1 member likes this: WRE1
Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.