March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hoot4570, playing hooky, jcn, GeorgeGibbs505, SKB, Pat Gidley), 858 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#615274 05/29/22 10:13 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an interesting Roper revolving magazine shotgun . They used a proprietary shell, and I am looking for some in 12 gauge. Besides being a revolving magazine shotgun, the Roper had a set of screw in chokes at the muzzle. Very early in the last half of the 1800s. I would appreciate any help in finding some. Thanks , Daryl

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 05/29/22 10:21 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

With all due respect, shouldn't you be using 6 point impact sockets and a Channel Lock that is bigger, with plastic handle covers?

Just kidding! Interesting gun, thanks for showing it. I can’t find regular ammunition.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted, if you need any sockets, I probably have them. I had lots of trouble removing a percussion nipple on a set of Manton barrels. It had a square head and none of my existing sockets seemed to do the job and heat and soaking in penetrating oil for weeks did not help either. I finally went on ebay and ordered several types. None of them worked, so I started to make a tool to fit the nipple. I was about half done when a friend, who is a much better mechanic than I am, bought the gun. Still have lots of virgin sockets.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 05/31/22 09:50 AM.
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
With all due respect, shouldn't you be using 6 point impact sockets and a Channel Lock that is bigger, with plastic handle covers?

Just kidding! Interesting gun, thanks for showing it. I can’t find regular ammunition.

Best,
Ted

After a couple more years of Democrat rule, we all might have a better chance of finding this obsolete Roper ammunition than regular shells Ted.

The guy who promised us he would "BUILD BACK BETTER" has built nothing. We are not back where we were. And nothing is better either!

But Daryl does show us some interesting guns.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

2 members like this: mc, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,
Can you show a few pictures of the shells out of the carrier, what metal are they made of, brass? I imagine they could be made, a lathe operation, would need some dimensions, etc. A friend has a CNC lathe and may be interested.
Dennis

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
Sidelock

The ones I saw were steel. Do not know if they all were. Saw some on EBay a couple years ago. Not correctly identified but certain what they were.

Last edited by KY Jon; 06/01/22 01:14 PM.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Great project for a CNC lathe!

Mine gets delivered this weekend. It should be a handy addition to the shop.

I would love to see pictures of these shells from other angles.

Thanks for sharing Daryl!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,
Can you show a few pictures of the shells out of the carrier, what metal are they made of, brass? I imagine they could be made, a lathe operation, would need some dimensions, etc. A friend has a CNC lathe and may be interested.
Dennis

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you gentlemen. All of the Roper shells I have heard of were steel. That said, I think there were rifle shells, too. I'll attach some pictures, but I don't have one to measure. They came in at least 16 and 12 gauges. The picture with the orangish background seems to show multiple gauges,or maybe rifle shells, some of which are a bit unlike the first one I'll post.

Here seems to be a variety of Roper shells. I do not know where I got the picture.

Here is a gun and shells for sale a while back. As I recall it was a 16 gauge.

Here's the Roper patent #53881 of Aprl 10, 1866

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 06/01/22 06:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice article
https://surplused.com/index.php/202...p-shotgun-designs-part-1-of-3-1833-1889/

The site is Spanish, but appears to show the 16g dimensions
https://municion.org/producto/16-cal-16-gauge-roper-shotshell-short-groove/

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/listing-of-shotshells-calibers/1562/29?page=2
Roper produced shotguns and rifles. The shotguns were in 12 and 16 gauge; these were usually only offered with smooth bore barrels. However, some of their shotguns were sold with a rifled barrel insert and replacement cylinder, which obviously reduced the size of the bore to some other caliber, probably for use with their .41 caliber cartridges. The Roper rifles were produced in .41 caliber; these had rifled barrels, but could be had with a second barrel with a smooth bore. The early Roper shells and cartridges used percussion caps; the later ones were Berdan primed.

Scroll down to lot #204 - a 20g 2.43" Roper steel shotshell
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/CatalogPrint.asp?aid=146127

A Roper cartridge
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/unusual-cartridge.1181965/

Wow
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/50/1105/rare-cased-roper-revolving-shotgun-with-accessories

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.