March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (DAM16SXS, GeorgeGibbs505, jcn, SKB, 1 invisible), 861 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Never before seen - bolt action single shot BSA 310 Cadet - what is it?

**6/1/22 UPDATE** Rare Single Shot Bolt Action BSA 310 Cadet - Finally Identified - See my last post.

Originsl Post .......

Never before seen - bolt action single shot BSA 310 Cadet - what is it?

Hello All,

I have a couple dozen BSA cadet rifles, but this one is a first. Can't find any info about it. I'm posting on several forums hoping that someone might help to find some info on what this rifle is.

Although similar, its not a 1906 model because those are all in 22 caliber. Also, this one has a sliding safety on the bolt handle and a somewhat similar but different rear sight.

No proof marks - no caliber mark - only a X01 stamped at the back rear of the left side of the receiver and on the stock. There is a P. Patent also on the left side of the receiver and a patent number on the rear sight. It has the Standard BSA address with a 1907 date, and the BSA logo on the barrel and remnants of the trade mark stamp on the stock. Neat folding front site protector / hood.

any one have any idea?

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buck ,

I thought at first glance that It might be a variation of the BSA light sporting rifle they made in .300 Extra Long (i.e. Sherwood) and .32-40.

That however used a Lee Enfield bolt in a simplified tubular receiver as did their .410” single shot.

Yours has a front locking bolt.

X01 appears to be someone’s (not necessarily BSA’s) prototype serial.

My guess is that the inventor of the action started with a .22 BSA War Office Pattern barrel and bored it out to take the .310 Cadet cartridge, then fitted it to his prototype action and modified the stock to fit.

I do not recognise the action and the P(ending) Patent mark does not necessarily mean that it was ever Patented.

It might have been made at Lithgow in Australia as the .310 Cadet was popular there.

The Australian government started producing FMJ .310 ammunition for Home Guard combat use when Japanese invasion seemed imminent.

Last edited by Parabola; 05/29/22 09:11 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Something about the safety and the low lift bolt handle's position kind of brings to mind the 1905 Ross. Maybe hoping for a training rifle for the Ross?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buckstix
Private message sent
Parabola

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello all,

Well, I finally received a response from a fellow forum member. He sent me this reference link.

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/War_Office_Pattern_Miniature_Rifle.html#Experimental_rifles

"A notable continuation of the the B.S.A. company's work on the War Office Miniature type rifle involved experimentation with a larger calibre capable action."

The last rifle shown at the bottom of that link looks like a "later" experimental version of my rifle. It has a 1908 barrel date and it has a patent number. Mine has an earlier 1907 barrel date and has a "P.Patent" marking. (pending patent)

That rifle has many similar features to my rifle.

Similar features include; center fire single shot action, similar barrel mounted 1905 rear site (with patent reference to my site), similar folding hood front site, same open exposed forward locking lugs, similar bolt handle mounted sliding safety, similar single-loading sprung 'raceway' slightly below the bore-line, and a similar action body designed to afford the mounting of an aperture sight at the rear of the receiver.

research for additional information will continue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't be more rare than that!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.