March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
geco Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I've had a set of Briley Companion tubes for about 10 years that I've never used. I have an older English sxs I'd like to try them in, its a 12 and the tubes are 20. I know about the balance etc. but I'm curious as to whether they may only be used with a gun they are fitted to or not. They fit in the gun I have very snugly and the extractors work. Anyone have any problems with them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.briley.com/c-416-companion-drop-in-tube-sets.aspx
"The advantage of the Companion series is that they are ready-made tubes that are shipped direct to you and do not require you to send in your barrel or gun."

The tubes I had were equipped with a small plastic not quite flush rod at the muzzle end to keep the tube tight.
There will be a significant build-up of powder residue and debris in the bore just past the end of the tube, and the bore will need to cleaned regularly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Companion are made to fit a wide number of guns, but not all. Too small a bore, too large an overbore or short chambers might not work well. If your gun has 2 1/2” chamber you might have a fitting issue. You could measure your tube external chamber area at 2 1/2” and compare it with your chamber diameter of your gun. Or just gentle put them into your gun and see if they seat fully without any issues. I’d measure if you have the tools.

The .410 companion tubes tend to be easier to get into short chambers in my experience. I bought a set of old Briley skeet tubes, 20, 28 & .410 for $200.00 and cut them down to 20”. It reduced the weight and eliminated issues with chokes of the gun interference with seating. They were made for a very tight bore gun so they fit just about anything. If too loose I just add a bit of liquid nylon nail polish to the tubes. Fairly strong temporary thing to help fit. They are a lot like the old Browning Super tubes from the 60’s but with built in extractors. Weight is nicely between the hands.

geco Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the comments. I think the chambers are longer than I would have expect as the tubes fit snugly but do not need to be "jammed" in. Likewise the front seem fully supported. I"ll give them a try over the weekend weather permitting. My 20ga loads are milder than factory so I shall see. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.