March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#614524 05/05/22 10:08 AM
dukxdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just received a nice quality shotgun shipped to me. When I unpacked it I immediately noticed rattling inside the barrels. The solder rolls the full length of the barrels when tipped back and forth.
The barrels ring sufficiently when tapped. It's not a dull thud.

The noise is obvious. I feel that I should have been made aware of the issue before the gun was sent to me instead of letting me find out when I got the gun. That is a major disappointment after looking forward to getting the gun then finding the issue on receipt. I got the gun from a well known dealer. It was a consignment gun he had taken in to sell.

So would you recommend returning the gun or negotiate a partial refund to compensate for the issue? If the latter, what amount of money would compensate for the barrel ghost? At some point the ribs may need to be re-layed would be the issue. What is the cost to have this done?

I could live with the ghost but if I ever decide to sell the gun the issue will be noticed and I could realize a lower price than I paid in negotiation with a new buyer. I could not sell the gun without stating this issue up front.

I was anticipating a really nice gun but my heart sank when I heard the noise.

Opinions?

Thanks.

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
dukxdog #614525 05/05/22 10:28 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drill a weep hole in the rib and injection some thick epoxy. Roll solder into epoxy. Solved.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

dukxdog #614527 05/05/22 11:08 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

the issue of a loose piece of solder or Flux ratteling in a rib would not bother me in the least as long as they were good. There are plenty of Guns around that don't have a loose piece of junk broke loose. return that one as you will hear it every time you use the gun. It may never need a strip and relay,rebluing job and someone else can enjoy that gun. The last strip relay and Damascus refinish I had done was on a set of 34 inch 8 bore bbls I think it was around 800 bucks.

dukxdog #614528 05/05/22 11:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

1. Loose solder rolling inside the rib cavity on vintage guns is very common. 90% of the time is just the extra solder that migrated under the rib during the laying process that has come loose over time…no big deal.
2. Loose solder inside the rib cavity is not indicative of loose ribs or ribs coming loose.
3. Ringing barrels does not mean the ribs are tight. Unless your comparing a newly made or freshly relaid ribs tone, most people don’t know exactly what “tone” they are actually listening for. Yes, a dull thud is a sure thing, but ringing isn’t a sure thing. Putting barrels in a tub of warm or hot water will show you relatively quickly if the ribs are tight or not.

4. The cost of relaying ribs is anywhere from $500 to $1200 which usually includes new blacking…..engraving pick up extra etc. Problem is finding guys to do it. Seems like it’s a job a lot of gunsmiths don’t wanna do.

If the ribs are solid, I can’t see asking for a discount. It’s that common of an issue and it’s not that big of a deal. If your ocd and the noise drives you crazy…send them off and have the ribs relayed. If it’s crazy obvious noise, yea, the dealer probably should’ve mentioned it.

dukxdog #614536 05/05/22 04:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gob of solder May have broken loose during shipping. Your dealer might not have heard it.

My hearing is bad enough it likely wouldn’t bother me. I’d shoot it a few years in the hope that recoil and muzzle flip got the gob stuck before I spent money for a relay, or, returned a gun I otherwise really liked.

Best,
Ted

dukxdog #614545 05/05/22 10:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bobby, I’ve had a couple that rattled a bit. Never bothered me hunting. I think I know which gun you are talking about and cam understand your disappointment. Lafusil mentions OCD and I know I have a bit of that regarding my guns. But this has never been an issue for me.

I agree, vendor should have mentioned it.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
dukxdog #614548 05/06/22 07:12 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not suggesting anything here, just asking to further my own S X S education, but, if the ribs are determined to be sound, in a hot water immersion, and the little bead of solder rolls all the way to the muzzles, why couldn't the keel be removed, the little piece of solder removed, then the keel re-soldered in place?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
dukxdog #614550 05/06/22 09:51 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Annoying little bits rolling back and forth.

IF you can be sure tht the offending piece can be positioned to the muzzle or back to the forend hook, I have in the past
done that. Then clamped that area of bbl, ribs & hook if needed, and with the bbl in position vertical to keep the bit against
that end, the heat that area till the solder just shows melting in the joints.

That will swallow up the little piece inside back into the melted solder.
Nothing needs to be done as far as adding any solder to the joints, or fluxing them.
Don't disturb them,,just melt the solder to attach that piece inside and then let it cool an solidify again.

Don't over heat, no need to, it's lead/tin solder. The blue won't be harmed'
Let it cool on it's own. then unclamp.

There are usually several spacers betw the tubes inside the ribs, These are usually about 2 inches long and built up of stacked pieces of thin metal to make the necessary thickness.
Some just sheet metal folded over a few times and soldered in place.

Often these spacers will block the passage of a piece of loose solder from rolling the complete distance muzzle to F/E hook. But there is usuall enough space for the water of rust bluing
to pass.
So be extra sure when listening for the rattle that it is actually making it to the muzzle or back to the hook before doing anything drastic at either of those points.
The little begger may actually only be stuck in betw a couple of those spacers further down the way.

t

dukxdog #614552 05/06/22 10:19 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Always helpful Kutter and thank you.
I've always learned best from pictures wink
Mid-barrel support after rib removed

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

X-ray

After clean-up prior to rib relay

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.