March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Found this baby at. in small town gunshop- consigned and owner asking $2500. SN 44xxx- pre-war safety conversion by Williams, clover leaf shape tang, 25" barrel with a unknown mfg. flash suppressor-recoil device-- same od on this gizmo as on the heavy walled barrel, front sight rampy forged with barrel-NOT silver soldered in place- Has a G&H d etachable side mount, receiver was D&T for the 3 location machine screws- rear receiver rng intact- NOT drilled and tapped, 2 lever style lock-release on the G&H mount. Leupold 3X9 VX-111== 50mm optic lense, dull black finish and in Leupold rings, rear sight is a Williams, not original-- blade removed to allow scope bell to clear-original solid red pad wood and metal 90% plus, bore and chamber are mint-- owner is asking $2500- plus 6% tax to dealer doing the consignment-- but dealer tells me he has a large (?) amount of ammo for this M70- amount and make of that is unknown to me as of right now, but would make a good investment (the ammo)-- before I start shelling out some serious Benjamins, ??? for the big bore cognoscenti that travel this website.

In my 1954 ed. of the Stoeger catalog, this std. grade M70 retailed for $120.00 The G&H side mount retailed for aprox. $30.00- $45.00 if installed by G&H in NYC. probably no way to know if this M70 had the side mount by G&H or another gunsmith- machine screw heads are "un-boogered" as are all the other visible screw heads on this M70.. Ernest Hemingway's G&H custom 1903 converted Sporter in std. 30-06 also had that mounting system for the 1930's era German Zeiss Zeikolon scope, which Don Ernesto promptly dismounted, but left he scope mount on the rifle sans scope

If by chance I should end up with this M70 for my collection (pre-War 11 are my "favorites") I doubt if I will ever use it for MI hunting, possibly on feral pigs, but a bit of "overkill" on Mich whitetailed deer-- elk, possibly on elk. The gunshop owner told me that the consignor said he killed a leopard in Africa with this "Steinway" rifle-- he, no doubt, like yours truly, believes 100% in the mantra espoused by the late Robert Chester Ruark: "Use Enough Gun"-- Amen..RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can see the slots in the screws that attach the G & H sidemount base to the receiver it was most likely not installed by G & H.

G & H normally screwed & pinned the base to the receiver & then dressed the screw heads & pins down flush with the base & reblued so that you had a very neat installation & could only see the screws & pins if you looked at the base from the correct angle & in very good light.

If installed properly it would not matter much to me who did the installation of the G & H sidemount but the muzzle brake would be a big turnoff unless it could be removed & the bbl neatly re crowned & I would also want to do something re. the Williams rear sight that (to me)
always look "cheap & out of place" on a nice rifle.

Last edited by Brittany Man; 04/10/22 11:31 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never heard of a William s safety conversion on any Mod 70. Does anyone have a picture of one? Tilden was the preferred alteration.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never heard of a William s safety conversion on any Mod 70. Does anyone have a picture of one? Tilden was the preferred alteration.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most people convert there safe to winchester type of safe

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ooops- 2 errors in my report- I stated 1939-- my schwing pocket handbook on Winchesters shows the sn as 1942- probably first year of wartime limited production of M70's in all the calibers and configurations-- The front sight and forged in barrel base are original- the rear sight is marked Williams--the safety conversion is not marked- like Buehler on my 1903-A3 sporter conversion, done by McCord of Ionai 1974-- 30-06 so I guessed at Williams, are Tilden conversions marked?? The only M54 I own, at present, is a 1935 SG in .270Win--it has the conversion, from the "paddle-wing Mauser style" safety to the post WW2 M70 style, gunsmith who did this is unknown to me.. RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only Tilden I have is not marked except for 'fire' which would be forward position as any 3 position safety. I have never seen a Buehler style safety on a mod 70. Not even sure how that would work as it rotates vertically up and down. I do know it is possible to fit certain year mod 70 bolt shrouds to 1903 Springfields. It was one way to obtain a 3 position safety likely before people like Ed Lapour started making them. So the question that comes to mind can a Springfield bolt shroud be fit to a mod 70? Only conversion for a pre war is a Tilden AFAIK. Could be a one off gunsmith fabrication. A picture would help.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a picture of a Tilden safety on page 135 in the Roger Rule book

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info re: safety. I cannot get you pictures, as I have not yet purchased the gun-- the safety has "ridged surface" and is stamped "FIRE" with an arrow pointed clockwise (forward, towards the muzzle. I also need to research how the short vented muzzle brake was attached-- barrel is uncut at 25". nor is the front ramp touched by this installation. Switching horses midstream to Model 12's (Winchesters I treasure as much as Model 70's) Winchester offered factory installation of muzzle "gadgets" such as Poly-Chokes and Cutts' Comps (barf) so it follows on that they might have offered those as a factory installed device.

The next time I am in that area-probably for turkey hunting in May- I'll stop in and take a camera and try to get some detailed fotos for you. I know have a "Jitterbug" pad thingy, will try to learn how to take fotos and e-mail them, but I want to put some time between visits- the tag says $2500-- OBO-- and patience is a solid part of my "game plan" on this "heavy hitter" M70.RWTF

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Indeed there is--Roger Rule is a writer who knows his subject material and how to present it-as does mio amigo Silvio Calabi--RWTF

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.