March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, SKB, Roundsworth, Hammergun, canvasback, 1 invisible), 332 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 33 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Now I'm not the only one with a Charles Daly in the neighbourhood. Claudio picked up a very nice Lindner Daly Featherweight several years ago and has really enjoyed that gun. I had seen the listing for it but the ad said nothing about 'Featherweight" and the price seemed high for a non Diamond Quality gun. So I passed on it. Claudio did a bit more poking at it, got a view of the rib inscribed with "Featherweight" and wasted no time making it his. I still kick myself for not being thorough enough on that one. The point being that he loves shooting that gun and it is one more Daly that he found impressive. So when this Daly Diamond surfaced, Claudio was buying it for himself.

As most of us know, bad things can happen to 100 year old guns. Luckily, not a whole lot had been done to this one. No one had tried to refinish anything since he had first seen the gun.

The metal was in pretty good order. However it was clear the wood needed some attention. There was an wood extension on it, plus a ugly pad. It had a cheek piece that neither he nor I are fans of. And it had an excessive amount of drop. However it wasn't all bad. It still retained the curve where the original butt plate had been. Given that Claudio was intending to keep and shoot this gun, he began to plan some changes......

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

One of the first things Claudio did to the gun was bend it upwards. The original dimensions, as it often the case, had entirely too much drop. So bending the stock upwards was the order of the day. It had a ways to go....when he was done, Claudio had moved it up 3/4" at the heel. With this much movement it isn't surprising that the case hardened trigger guard needed refitting after the bend. The stock also got a little cast off added to it.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/07/22 03:04 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

As work got started on the wood, it was time to look at the metal. It started with a thorough strip and clean and like the previous gun we profiled, the results of the ultrasonic cleaning are stunning:

Before:

After:

2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Amazing that it would clean up to show that much color.

What is the drop at the heel now? Most vintage doubles have too little drop for my taste, so I want to bend them down.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Stunning after a good ultra sonic cleaning. S

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD
Amazing that it would clean up to show that much color.

What is the drop at the heel now? Most vintage doubles have too little drop for my taste, so I want to bend them down.

Brent, drop at the heel is now at 2 1/4”. Which means it started out at around 3”.

It’s interesting because the two Lindner Diamond Dalys I have both had DAH at around 2 1/4”. And the Lindner Daly model 118 is 2 1/2”. The stock bending that took place on the first restoration covered in the thread was really just putting some cast off into the stock.

We typically think of DAH as coming down over time but this is an example of it going the other way. My guess is Herr Lindner had specific views on what the DAH and DAC should be that were somewhat ahead of his time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably a very silly question, but does ultrasonic cleaning simply expose case colouring that is there under the accumulated crud, or does the process in some way re-activate the colours on the surface layer.

Either way the results are most impressive.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anything special used in the ultrasonic mixture?

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Parabola
Probably a very silly question, but does ultrasonic cleaning simply expose case colouring that is there under the accumulated crud, or does the process in some way re-activate the colours on the surface layer.

Either way the results are most impressive.

My understanding is it simply cleans away that which might be covering the colours. On the first gun, if you go back and look, no colours were visible. After cleaning the colours exposed were lovely and muted. On this gun, colours were quite evident before see started. And they really pop now.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by builder
Anything special used in the ultrasonic mixture?

Just soap and water. If you look at page two of this thread a number of posters offer up specific soaps and solutions.

1 member likes this: builder
Page 30 of 33 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.