Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#613228 03/30/22 11:28 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Original ad

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/detail.cfm?gun_id=101827005

[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]

I beat the "cabelas curse" on this rifle as it is in magnificent shape for its age. The wrist checkering is sharp and defined, action and springs in good shape. Screws are buggered sadly, but nothing cross threaded.
Googling to the best of ability, I found an old auction lot. The description stated it was in 9.3x72r. I decided screw it and bought it. Chamber cast and bore markings confirm it is 9.3x72r
[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]

There seems to be a need to re-work the sear engagement during cock on opening. Its striker doesnt securely engage the sear of the forward trigger.

Last edited by journeymen; 03/30/22 11:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thumbs up on that one. She is nice.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

journeymen,
The bore (not groove or bullet) diameter marked as 118.35 very often works out as .357-.359" groove diameter. This will make finding bullets for handloading easy for you. You mentioned the need to rework sear engagement. You may need to do this but rifles with double set triggers are very often found with them out of adjustment. This is usually because the purpose of the screw behind the front trigger is misunderstood. This screw has no effect on the trigger pull when not "set", only when "set". I suggest you check the adjustment before working on the sear engagement. BTW the rifle doesn't have to be cocked to adjust and/or check the set triggers. Good luck, you are going to have fun with this one. You didn't ask, but it was proofed in August 1909 at the Zella Mehlis proof house.
Mike

2 members like this: journeymen, CJF
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Der Ami
journeymen,
The bore (not groove or bullet) diameter marked as 118.35 very often works out as .357-.359" groove diameter. This will make finding bullets for handloading easy for you. You mentioned the need to rework sear engagement. You may need to do this but rifles with double set triggers are very often found with them out of adjustment. This is usually because the purpose of the screw behind the front trigger is misunderstood. This screw has no effect on the trigger pull when not "set", only when "set". I suggest you check the adjustment before working on the sear engagement. BTW the rifle doesn't have to be cocked to adjust and/or check the set triggers. Good luck, you are going to have fun with this one. You didn't ask, but it was proofed in August 1909 at the Zella Mehlis proof house.
Mike

Thank you Mike, I was unsure about the proof date but thank you for confirming it. The issue with the set trigger is that when you push it forward the striker is released. I could just be doing it wrong?

Sidelock
Sidelock

journeymen,
With a double set trigger that is properly adjusted, you "set" it by pulling the rear trigger until it "clicks". Then, to fire the rifle( with the safety off), you only have to "touch" the front trigger. If the safety is "on" the set trigger will trip if you touch it, but the rifle shouldn't fire. Since the safety is a mechanical device and might not work every time, the trigger should not be set until right before you shoot. If, for some reason, you don't take the shot you should open the rifle and trip the trigger. With practice, you can hold the rear trigger back and "ease" it forward; but you should still open the rifle first. With a double set trigger, there is no reason to push either one forward. However, some guns( such as combo guns and some single shots) have a single set trigger and you do push them forward to set them. Other than the different way to set them, they should be treated the same as double set triggers. Any set trigger is a separate mechanism that works independently of the safety or the mainspring/sear/hammer. You can fire the rifle without setting the trigger, by pulling the front one, but the "trigger pull" will be very poor.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 04/01/22 10:45 AM.
1 member likes this: craigd
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hmmm. I'll get some pictures of the trigger pack. The rear trigger wont pull rearward, but can be pushed forward. Maybe a spring is out of place?

Update 4/5/2022

I wasn't pulling hard enough on the set trigger for its ledge to engage on the main trigger. The sear surface on the striker is definately damaged though.

Last edited by journeymen; 04/05/22 11:10 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So far i've laser welded up the blown out sear surfaces and repaired the upper section of the broken safety. I'd really like to have all new retaining pins and screws made
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by journeymen; 06/18/22 06:18 PM.
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

journeymen,
Did you do the laser welding yourself? If so, I suggest weld up the buggered-up screw heads and recut them. That would save having to ID the thread and finding appropriate die(s). Maybe the pins could be repaired as well.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes. I'm doing these side projects at work until i can get official training on the laser machine. I'm working on the screw heads but the threads seem damaged as well. The pins are all tapered. I haven't gauged the holes to see if this is intentional.

Last edited by journeymen; 06/29/22 11:40 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.