March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gankai, Pat Gidley, Gerry Addison, Jtplumb, Kip), 788 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

What about titanium?

Interesting video:

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
Is it possible to specify, or perhaps supply, the steel of the tubes used in sleeving? Tubes made of high quality steel like the Boehler Blitz, will probably result in lighter barrels than the original and stronger too. They will be a female dog (censored original text) to blue though.

You could order stainless barrels on a Darne when Firearms Center, in Victoria, TX (James Wayne) was importing them. The barrels went to the plater, who plated them with iron, and then they were blued. In 1964, XTC, a high chrome French tool steel, became the standard barrel steel, and the chrome content was high enough it caused problems with bluing.

That was resolved fairly early on, but, the guns with the barrels they had trouble with, turn up, here and there.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

while searching for something else, came upon this old thread, regarding sleeving, in which doc drew takes a cheap shot at old ed...sad that this ungentlemanly and slanderous post even exists...

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=443975&page=all

keep it simple and keep it safe...
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It doesn't exist except on your head

Sidelock
Sidelock

yawn...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
Is it possible to specify, or perhaps supply, the steel of the tubes used in sleeving? Tubes made of high quality steel like the Boehler Blitz, will probably result in lighter barrels than the original and stronger too. They will be a female dog (censored original text) to blue though.

You could order stainless barrels on a Darne when Firearms Center, in Victoria, TX (James Wayne) was importing them. The barrels went to the plater, who plated them with iron, and then they were blued. In 1964, XTC, a high chrome French tool steel, became the standard barrel steel, and the chrome content was high enough it caused problems with bluing.

That was resolved fairly early on, but, the guns with the barrels they had trouble with, turn up, here and there.

Best,
Ted

Seems a lot simpler to just take the regular steel barrels and hard chrome the bores. It has worked great for the Italians for decades.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have no idea why stainless tubes were offered, or, why they went away. But, offered they were. I imagine pitting in the bores wasn’t a thing with stainless, but, don’t know for sure. Bet they are tough as hell.

Hard plating a surface gets you no more impact resistance than the base metal features. I don’t believe hard plating would help in a situation where the barrel steel was softer than steel shot an owner might put through it, for example.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boehler antinit anticorro is almost stainless in the sense of resistance to oxidation, therefore hard to blue. The advantage of choosing such material is its resistance to internal as well as external rust.

I have seen a couple of Swedish Flodmans with stainless barrels. The way they got round the bluing was to paint them with epoxy paint.

As far as sleeving goes the major advantage of high grade steels is in the weight saving hence the retention of the balance close to that of the original pre sleeved state. There is an interesting chart published by CIP on the minimum wall thickness per steel grade. The highest grades allow thinner therefore lighter walls.

It might even save the resale value if the quality of the steel could be certified and stamped on the tubes. Between original but thin barrels and sleeved with high grade steel the choice seems to be obvious for knowledgeable buyers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
I have no idea why stainless tubes were offered, or, why they went away. But, offered they were. I imagine pitting in the bores wasn’t a thing with stainless, but, don’t know for sure. Bet they are tough as hell.

Hard plating a surface gets you no more impact resistance than the base metal features. I don’t believe hard plating would help in a situation where the barrel steel was softer than steel shot an owner might put through it, for example.

Best,
Ted

It was explained to me, by Mike Orlen I believe, that chroming of bores is nothing like chrome plating a car bumper. It can never flake or peel away as can plated parts on automobiles. He explained that it is an entirely different process that actually causes the hard chrome to bond with the base metal almost like an alloy, that can never be separated. We were discussing cutting longer forcing cones in chrome lined barrels and I had expressed my concerns that lengthening forcing cones in such barrels would lead to failure of the chroming. He assured me that could not happen, and that he regularly does forcing cone and choke work on chrome lined barrels with no resulting issues.

How that process affects impact resistance I have no idea. My understanding over the years has been that the chrome lining of shotgun barrels is for abrasion and corrosion resistance.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Decorative chrome plating as in automotive trim etc.& hard chrome plating are different processes.

In decorative chrome plating the substrate is usually nickel plated (sometime copper & nickel) & then a extremely thin chrome plating on top.

In hard chrome plating the chrome plating is much thicker & applied directly to the substrate which results in a much stronger bond w/the substrate. The thickness of the plating can be controlled to meet the specific application.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.