March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a guess, but I'd surmise whoever J. Ormiston is/was approached our man Henry with a largish roll of bills/notes and offered to share. I have some work by Mr. Morris---- nice work if I do say so.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Don.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree, a rare configuration. I don't think I have ever seen a 29" British Boxlock .410. I did buy one from Barnett just as rare, though. A 30" 28ga Henry Atkin marked British Boxlock ejector (5-1). It looked to be in good shape, but after my test fire session it needed a bit of work. Left mainspring, breech pin, and firing pin regulation. Then, strip and relay, and re-blue of the ribs. That was expensive! Then I gave it to my FIL for his birthday. He dropped it 10 minutes into our first hunt and shattered the stock. Now it is waiting on a new stock. Talk about a money pit...but I suppose have "done my duty" for a rare firearm.

Owen
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ouch!!!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Am I the only one that thinks the left panel/receiver fit is a bit wonky?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Owenjj3
Then I gave it to my FIL for his birthday. He dropped it 10 minutes into our first hunt and shattered the stock.
"No good deed goes unpunished." Have to ask: did your father-in-law know to take extra pains with a little jewel of a shotgun, or is he accustomed to throwing his Mossberg pump into the bed of a pickup? I mean, dang...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Recoil Rob
Am I the only one that thinks the left panel/receiver fit is a bit wonky?

Nope. It looks like the left stock panel has moved a bit, probable cause is most likely a stock bend, perhaps the panels weren’t clamped down properly during the bend. You can see a definite gap in the lower part of the action-stock fit and the upper action-stock fit looks to have pulled away a smidge as well.

Good eye.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JR, You are right, I don't think he really appreciated it for what it is worth, or for what I put into it. Of course I didn't give him any monetary figures. He did enjoy opening it on his B-day and knocking down a few doves with it before the vine tripped him up opening week. He is not clumsy at all and in fact played college b-ball and baseball, so it was a true fluke that he fell. He normally shoots a silver pigeon 20, so he is starting from one notch above a Mossberg! I will post on the stock when it is done. I will say in encouragement to Stan that I was able to buy it from Steve at a significant discount to the asking price. I am not sure how the new management (Steve's stepson?) handles pricing, but Steve was always ready to deal.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Word out there is August, Steve's stepson, is tough to deal with. I don't know that as fact, however. Dang I miss Steve...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is really tiny at 4 pounds 6 ounces. My 28-inch barrel RBL-410 at a fraction of an ounce over 5 pounds is far lighter but much better balanced than my vintage American .410-bore doubles.

I see they are not showing us the barrel flats and watertable so we can judge the proof marks for ourselves. What is the vintage of the gun? The 3-inch .410-bore wasn't introduced until mid 1933. Did the chambers get lengthened when the gun was totally refinished? Is it in proof? A load of 7/16 ounce sounds more like a 2 1/2-inch shell. In the U.S. the 2 1/2-inch shell carried a 3/8-ounce payload until the mid-1930s when it got upped to the half ounce we know today. From American & British 410 Shotguns, Ronald Gabrial, I find the Eley 2 1/2-inch "FOURLONG" cartridge contained a 7/16-ounce load. Hmmm...

I think I'll hold out for the Parker Bros. BHE .410-bore with 32-inch vent rib barrels. Not that my portfolio would ever cover it!!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.