March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone store their guns muzzles down per recommendations to avoid oil seeping into the stock and action? Most gun racks aren’t made that way, and you rarely see pictures of such storage.

I would really appreciate photos of those sorts of racks as well as any pictures of gun rooms.

Kindest regards,
QD

Sidelock
Sidelock

The empty slot is for my Remington 3200 in 16 gauge

Just turn the picture upside down for a muzzle down aspect smile

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by skeettx; 03/10/22 12:36 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Odd I know, but I keep a lot of my longarms muzzle down in modified self-standing golf bags (bought for a song in the local recycling centre); A few club separators removed so the guns fit OK. Wheeled golf bags are also handy when transporting a lot of rifles and such at the firing range.

Markus

Sidelock
Sidelock

Muzzles down in the safe.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have gone to horizontal gun racks. They take up a lot more room but allows for a nice display of the guns in a position which does not let too much oil soak into the stock, I hope. Space is not my issue as I have an entire Basement level to use. My racks hold eight guns per unit with a 13" shelf under them for books, Leather gun cases sit on top of the lower shelf under the guns and two shelves over the guns display decoys and gun stock blanks. I have more blanks than I will ever use and figured it would be a nice way to display them, so you can see what a nice blanks looks like. Mostly English Walnut, Black Walnut crotch figure with a few Claro blanks mixed in as well. Decoys are all hand carved working decoys, a mix of Canvasback, Teal, Wood Ducks, Widgeon and few old cork Black Duck and Mallards. Many are decoys I hunted over as a kid. A couple are Ward Brothers, Jobe family decoys or Ed, One Arm Kelly decoys. A few old shell boxes scattered in fill in the gaps.

For the guns not in racks, I still store them muzzle down for now but will finish the last horizontal gun display cases this Summer which will bring the total up to 12 for just under 100 guns. After that it will be time to cull the herd and get rid of many project guns that I now know I will never get around to finishing. So the muzzle down group will go away and the entire collection will be on display so I can show them off as best as I can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Where are the pictures?

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Muzzle down for me in a carpeted gun safe.

Rich
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Collectors of vintage guns don't worry much about oil migration and wood damage. Their guns are mostly dry when they add them to their collections and only get superficial and light mechanical lubrication from then on. My guns have been stored mostly muzzle up since the early sixties and show no oil damage. Bore cleaning should end with a light wipe to remove excess oil or solvent.

1 member likes this: Ghostrider
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun oil cannot seep into stock wood if you don't apply it so heavily that gravity causes the excess to run downhill. But we will be having this debate about orientation in the rack or safe forever, because people will continue to use too much.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: Ghostrider
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't use too much, and I disagree somewhat about the only movement of oil on guns being due to gravity. Some oils, like Kroil, can creep upwards, especially if there is any opportunity for capillary action. When a gun's barrels are wiped down, then the forend is snapped into place, there is wood to metal contact. You also can't wipe down all of the rear of the action/frame without getting some on the wood. I agree that many people use way too much.

I don't see the big deal, really. it's just as easy to stand them muzzles down as it is muzzles up.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.