April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bsteele, Jerry G, Jimmy W, buckstix, Marplot, 1 invisible), 356 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,790
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#611545 02/24/22 12:49 AM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Somebody went too far with this "custom" gun. First the put a porky stock, complete with a ugly beavertail on the gun. Second, for some reason only known to God, they used a dremel tool to add extra skid-mark flower engraving to both sides and his initials on the bottom of the receiver at a 10 year old penmanship level. Third they made sure to polish every bit of that nasty case color off the gun. Fourth they cut the barrels to 26 1/2". Why on earth not get a period pad or a reproduction pad instead of the white line pad? The list, I am sure, would be longer in person. How were the barrels refinished? I would like to know if they hot blued the barrels. See weep hole. Oh, the seller can not get the barrels off the receiver and states they have been altered so they wont come off. Wonder how that was done. I suspect they will come off with effort, which the seller is afraid to use.

Now why is this such a shame? This reworked master piece is a Ithaca Flues, 28 gauge gun, which had to start out with 28" barrels. Those are not very common. If original, I would be very interested in owning it. As it is, if I owned it every time I looked at it I would try to figure out how to un-fix what has been done to it. The stock I could put back to original configuration. The custom engraving might be welded up, re-engraved and case colored. The barrel I can not grow back, but could fix the keel insert which is missing. The white line recoil pad needs to be just burned in a fireplace. This is a gun which has been reworked to death and still has the bones to be a nice looking gun. What a shame. It would cost more than a grand just to undo most of what has been done and twice that if you had it restocked professionally.

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sir, first we had 15 August 2021; Then 22 Feb 2022; and Taiwan is shortly to follow..and as the world as we knew it post WWII comes apart along with the international order and the UN Charter, and we revert to pre-1939 with an impotent West wringing its hands but heading for their latte breaks..here we have a butcherized Ithaca Flues to make us feel good. I need some Kentucky Bourbon.

Last edited by Argo44; 02/24/22 02:19 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
1 member likes this: Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll pop for the George Dickel with a splash of branch water, Suh. Whomever FUBAR this Ithaca Flues should be horsewhipped. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have bought quite a few guns from LBS on Gunbroker and had built up a trust level with them since they generally tried to point out flaws in their copy. They have lots of clear pictures and a pretty good description. I have seen several instances where guns have been returned and relisted that they reported why it was returned and had pictures of the flaws. I find that admireable compared to the normal dealer practice of including some bogus excuse accusing the buyer.

This gun I found an anomoly. It had a lot of obvious faults not pointed out and the whole business of not removing the barrels seemed like an afterthought thrown in.

I take a different view than a lot of people. I recognize originality and understand the pricing structure, but it isn't a driving force in my buying. A gun that has been modified is sometimes much more asthetically pleasing and functionally serviceable for some uses, and can be obtained and used at a bargain price. Right after the ad came out, I wrtoe them a note and asked for a picture or explanation of the details of that statement. They did send pictures but they were four copies of the same shot of the bottom of the action without the forearm, hich showed exactly nothing. I replied asking for shots of the action open from the side without the forend to try to get a better idea of the situation. I never recieved a reply but the last three or four shots were added to the listing. Amazingly, the shots added I had asked four appear to be duplicates again.

As an aside, I remember seeing that goofy J E M gouged into another mid-level gun a few years ago. I'm thinking it may become an affordable speciality collecter biche. Winston Churchill moved completely out of my price range years ago, but maybe a "JEM" group? They are apparently out there. He must have died young before he rose to prominence. THat could ultimately work to a collecter's advantage.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just one correction to the OP posting. All Flues have weep holes in the bottom rib.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

This isn't added engraving it's ground with a dremel grinding tool.tool being the operative word

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have absolutely no problem with LSB and how this gun is presented. They are one of the best sellers on GunBroker. They give a reasonable description with lots of good photos and unlike other sellers never seem to crop them to hide things.

What I do hate is what has happened to this gun. Why the childish engraved initials,with skid mark gouges for flowers? I have a 20 Flues with 30” barrels and it is a trim delight to carry and shoot. I bet this 28 started out the same. Restock it, get rid of the beaver tail fore end, get the engraving abortion filled in, re case color and this gun could be nice again. But to do correctly you are going to spend a lot of money to do it well. Had they done it to a much more common 20 gauge Flues it would not bother me nearly as much. Rare guns should be conserved not used as a drawing board for bad work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The man that altered the gun to his tastes, probably used it with joy for decades.

A foreign concept, I know.

An Ithaca Flues is/was always a cheap canvas to paint on.

Out there doing it best I can.
2 members like this: Tom Findrick, HomelessjOe
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Made an ugly gun uglier

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
Sir, first we had 15 August 2021; Then 22 Feb 2022; and Taiwan is shortly to follow..and as the world as we knew it post WWII comes apart along with the international order and the UN Charter, and we revert to pre-1939 with an impotent West wringing its hands but heading for their latte breaks..here we have a butcherized Ithaca Flues to make us feel good. I need some Kentucky Bourbon.

Sounds to me like you are already in the whiskey....

What'd he say what'd he say ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.