March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, earlyriser, Gunning Bird), 497 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looks like Stans dove fields are lead poisoning Bald and Golden Eagles.

The Feds have some bOgus reports claiming "Eagles are suffering from lead poisoning in half of the Eagles they sampled in 38 states".

According to the study "this lead comes from the bullets of hunters".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep. Crows, Ravens, and Magpies just must be immune to the lead. Amazing. Not to mention all the dead coyotes just laying around in the grass that croaked from munching on all those lead saturated carcasses. Again, amazing.
Not seeing any of that here out west. Matter of fact….we’re seeing bald eagles out here in numbers we haven’t seen in decades. Places that never used to have them have them now.
The Feds are full of caca.

2 members like this: SKB, Tom Findrick
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once shot an obscene number of eared doves in a field some where in Argentina with a case (500) of lead shells. Instead of picking the the birds up my bird boy was waiting for the flight to end. It didn't end until suppertime. All afternoon I had about 38 eagles tamely walking around in front of me eating doves. I was shooting lead, of course. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the eagles first time. They looked healthy to me...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Right.
The masses of red-tailed and Cooper’s hawks, crows, and vultures here must have some magical immunity.

Clowns.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
Sidelock

The original study “Demographic Implications of Lead Poisoning for Eagles Across North America,” was published in the journal Science https://www.science.org/
The abstract
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abj3068
Click on Authors Info & Affiliations, primarily U.S. Geological Survey, Conservation Science Global, Inc. ( https://consciglobal.org/ ) and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

The short version
https://www.science.org/content/article/nearly-half-bald-eagles-have-lead-poisoning

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not too long ago I watched a Bald Eagle eating a dead Prude chicken which had died when they were being picked up and tossed out into a field with the cake manure, at clean out, for the next flock. It was an ovenstuffer and the Eagle seemed to be very happy. Vulture with a good paint job is what they can be. These correlation studies all need to be taken with a very large grain of salt. Eagles have lead levels, so it must be lead shot. "Smokers, with lung cancer, all carried Bic lighter so cancer must be caused by Bic lighters". Circular login is not always right, just very neat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw two mature bald eagles sitting on a wild hog carcass in the middle of the highway near my house. Evidently the hog had been hit by a car and killed during the night.

There are more eagles around here than there have ever been in my lifetime. I have no idea what to attribute the increase in the population to, but I welcome it. Especially if a mature one will take a newborn fawn. Way too many deer here.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan they are all over Ontario now. When I lived in Winnipeg 15 years ago, I mean the centre of the city of 800,000 people, I had bald eagles sitting in trees in my back yard. My cat didn’t like them at all. Lol.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

A study can extrapolate that 50% of a population of 300,000 birds has lead poisoning from a sample of 1200?

Anyway, eagles of all types have digestive systems that feature powerful digestive acid and enzymes, which, will lead to the lead being broken down, as opposed to owls and corvids, that typically pass eaten lead pellets. Eagles would show signs first. But, I have a hard time believing there is a population issue, especially with Bald Eagles. They hang around my suburban neighborhood now days. I have three nests within two miles of my home, those are just the three I have found. We see Golden Eagles less frequently, but, this isn’t typically considered Golden Eagle country. Never has been.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Doc Drew, for citing the report, and also noting the background of the authors.

I believe many Golden eagles are killed in wind turbine strikes, so I took a look at one of the references for the paper, Quantifying the demographic cost of human-related mortality of a raptor population, by Hunt, et al 2017. Forty-one percent of the confirmed death causes was wind turbine strikes, next highest confirmed cause was powerline electrocution.

The study was conducted in California. Under three and a half percent of the deaths were attributed to lead poisioning, but that state is considered a model for the nation at the forefront of the lead projectile ban. The study also concluded that their turbine strike data also projected to the entire loss of all Golden eagle production in the study area, so they justified it by brushing it off, and again the Hunt paper was cited as supporting documentation for a lead ammunition ban.

I also believe there is an observable increase eagles. It seems to coincide with less summer nest observation projects, and more agenda driven literature review studies, like this subject piece. Yup, the glorious symbol doing the work of vultures.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.