March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dale May), 769 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
Originally Posted by AZMike
The OP's noted gun is clean and nice but I think a ribbed 31 is way cooler.

Well yeah, but at what price? This is a high-condition, plain huntin' gun, no pretentions, at a fair price, is all I'm saying...
JR

In the trapshooting world nice 31TC's HAD been in the $700-800 range. I don't know about now. $500 870's are now getting over a grand. 1100's as well. Some kinda weird buying frenzy. I have a couple trap 870's I'll do some trolling with when I get time!
I have seen guns over on ts.com are moving--I sold a Model 12 easily this week.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
How rare are solid rib M17s? Saw my first just a bit ago and I liked it. Didn't seem to add alot of weight.

I'm sure the percent of Model 17s ordered with the option of a solid rib is an unknowable number. How many people would spring for an $8 option on a $48 gun in the 1920s and 30s?

My father railed against two things in American shotgunnery, Winchester Model 24s and bottom dumper pump guns. For over 70 years I heeded him, but a couple of years ago a Model 17A "Standard" Grade with a 28-inch solid rib improved cylinder barrel for $200 out the door at my local pawn shop couldn't be resisted. The stock had been cut and a piece added back and a recoil pad.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Fits me well and has been a lot of fun for $200. My gun weighs a fraction of an ounce under six pounds.

Last edited by Researcher; 02/18/22 05:37 PM.
1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher: Thankyou for that! Bottom-dumpers used to concern me as well (I'd probably heard the some of same stories your dad was listening to), but only until I'd owned and then used a couple of them. As a Southpaw, they offer some serious advantages and very-few (if ever) any detriments to us right-hand challenged folks.

At the risk of preaching to the choir here, when properly cleaned-up and then tuned-up, pumpers are simply great and affordable tools. IMHO, the pre-WWII variants generally offer immense value for the price paid (in terms of build-quality and function) and they always seem to get my attention (even if I prefer doubles to hunt with). Almost everybody shot one in the world of my youth, and many shot them very well. My grandfather's generation seemed to treasure the doubles more, and only after being exposed to some better variants of those weapons did I finally abandon the pumps. Being of a frugal nature, I re-discovered them again in middle age as my search for the perfect upland gun became more-serious. I acquired several (many!) and cleaned them up to better understand them (there weren't any books on the subject then, and likely still aren't). I quickly found that after a proper clean-up and a little finish repair, I could re-sell locally with little trouble and be well paid for my work. Many of them went in that fashion to help me build a war-chest to afford some of my first truly-decent doubles. Now I find that I'm a bit sorry that I don't have some of them anymore, my old, two-barreled M17 being one of them.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/18/22 05:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Place has into a bunch of bumper jAckers...pump this pump that

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.